Disk failed - install new drive

Hi,  I have been a little tardy...

A couple of months back,  a drive failed.  I took the option (I forget what it was...)... to let the parity drive emulate the failed  (rebuild ?).  I have now managed to afford a new drive as a replacement.

So, the current situation is that the Parity drive is standing in for the failed drive ?

The array is unprotected.

So, how do I get things back into order ?  I hsve tried my best to describe the situation as below 

• I have attached the diagnostic and a screenshot of my Main page.
  • The Drive that failed was a WD Red 3TB
  • My new drive is a WD Red 4TB
  • I only have 4 drive slots

Presumably I should

1. remove the failed drive from its slot

2. plug in the new drive to that slot

3. perform a pre-clear on the new drive X 3

4. ?? presumably the old parity now becomes the actual replacement for the failed drive ??

5. ?? presumably the new drive becomes the new parity??

if so, how do I effect 4 and 5 above

Your help is much appreciated.

supernova-diagnostics-20181210-2102.zip

Screenshot 2018-12-10 at 9.29.55 PM.png

Edited by Fishypops
add more detail + demonstrate I made some effort
45 minutes ago, Fishypops said:

the current situation is that the Parity drive is standing in for the failed drive

Parity PLUS ALL the other disks allow the data for the missing disk to be calculated. Parity by itself has none of your data.

OK, you edited your post to include screenshots while I was writing my first post. You didn't specifically mention you intended to use a disk larger than parity. Wait while I get you a different link.

You can test the disk with preclear or some other method if you want, but you don't really need a clear disk in this situation.

Hi,

PLEASE IGNORE THE MESSAGE BELOW.....  I decided to go with the supposed ethos of Henry V concerning "Faint Hearts and Pigs..."

I was being over-cautious.  Regardless, thanks for your great support as ever...

=======

Apologies for the delay... I am now ready to rock....but I have a bit of uncertainty.... I aborted........ I am performing the parity swap procedure; in the instructions it says "IMPORTANT!!! This procedure REQUIRES that the data drive being replaced MUST be disabled first. If the drive failed (has a red ball), then it is already 'disabled', ...... I hate to be pedantic/paranoid... but I don't want to make a mistake here.... There is NO RED ball there is a RED X..... I am CONCERNED THAT when I  restart as per below... the new drive will be auto assigned to Disk 3... with adverse cosequeces.....(there is no option to unassign it and I can't power up withot the array coming back onlie)). As per the screen shot below, I have removed the failed drive.... I stopped the array... and am about to:

• power down...
  • put the new drive into the old slot....
  • then power on again  -  QUESTION:  won't the new drive now get auto assigned to Disk 3 ?? 
  • stop the array again
  • assign the parity drive 

Just give me some comfort here....thanks.

image.png.c1f0048cd432e4d98fcba986b5171ac3.png

Edited by Fishypops
2 hours ago, Fishypops said:

PLEASE IGNORE THE MESSAGE BELOW.....  I decided to go with the supposed ethos of Henry V concerning "Faint Hearts and Pigs..."

I was being over-cautious.  Regardless, thanks for your great support as ever...

Well this latest post is a week later. What are you doing (or did you do)?

28 minutes ago, trurl said:

Well this latest post is a week later. What are you doing (or did you do)?

If you are asking why I did not sort this sooner. ...just broke for christmas.... 🙂...been really busy at work.  Wanted to get my mind focused on this before I took the plunge....

If on the other hand you are asking how did I address my uncertainty....  I followed the instructions...i had just been uncertain as to what would happen once I powered up having put in the new drive..... ? would the unraid system not give me a chance to assign the drive and then just go ahead and replace the failed drive ....  But I just followed the instructions... and surprise surprise..... it worked..... at least right now it is doing what it said on the tin... .rebuilding the parity...

Again thanks.

2 hours ago, Fishypops said:

But I just followed the instructions... and surprise surprise..... it worked..... at least right now it is doing what it said on the tin... .rebuilding the parity...

If you did parity swap then it should either be copying parity, or if done with that it should be rebuilding the data disk.

9 hours ago, trurl said:

If you did parity swap then it should either be copying parity, or if done with that it should be rebuilding the data disk.

The copy is complete. I am now at the final stage; it is expanding the parity from 3 to 4 TB and then will perform the rebuild. It says that it will take 9 hours 42 mins. Fingers crossed !