Unplug GPU fan on headless system

gooner_47

I've repurposed an old machine with a loud GPU fan for my unraid box. I tried removing the graphics card completely, but I think that caused the machine not to boot (it was hard to tell without being able to see a monitor!) as it never connected to the network.

As I will be using the machine headless, it is safe/wise to unplug the GPU fan to quieten the machine somewhat? Presumably if there is no output device attached then the card will not be doing any work so will not get that hot? Or should I just buy a passive graphics card - if so anyone have any suggestions for cheapest one possible?

2 hours ago, gooner_47 said:

In that case, I do not know why it’s not booting GPUless. I can’t connect a monitor to see what’s going wrong.

Regardless, back to my original question... can I just unplug the GPU fan if the card isn’t being used (so presumably not generating heat)?

If your motherboard supports booting without video, some do, some don't, there may be a setting to halt on errors (no GPU detected) or not.