(SOLVED) My parity drive failed but SMART doesn't show

Hello all. Just logged onto the server tonight to get some configuration files and met this:

image.png.38f71a8c602c74047a071b2b39fb9543.png

I tried to see what the problem was with it but SMART shows:
image.thumb.png.d29088e1169b6232cedf88ab3e460e3d.png

Attached diagnostics. Is this drive completely dead? I'm about to go somewhere on vacation and would like to refrain from ordering any drives, as they will arrive after I'm gone. Thoughts?

EDIT: Would like to add I have two backups (one onsite, one on Backblaze), but I have finals this week and need to access some coursework on my server. Is there a way to mount it read-only so I can't write anything to the array? Thanks.

derrickserver-diagnostics-20181211-2031.zip

Edited by Guest
10 minutes ago, ideaman924 said:

Hello all. Just logged onto the server tonight to get some configuration files and met this:

Sounds like you don't have Notifications setup to alert you immediately by email or other agent when Unraid detects a problem. You shouldn't have to open the webUI to discover something like this. People who don't know when they get their first problem are the people who discover they have multiple problems they can't recover from.

Can't tell anything about the disk without SMART. Check connections and post another diagnostic.

Just now, trurl said:

Sounds like you don't have Notifications setup to alert you immediately by email or other agent when Unraid detects a problem. You shouldn't have to open the webUI to discover something like this. People who don't know when they get their first problem are the people who discover they have multiple problems they can't recover from.

Can't tell anything about the disk without SMART. Check connections and post another diagnostic.

I have notifications set up, but I can't check whether they worked or not. I live in China right now and if the array goes down, the internet goes down because one of the VMs act as a VPN passthrough. Since I downed the array, I only have limited access, so can't check Gmail to see if an email actually arrived.

I'm rebooting the server to see if it can find the disk. If not, I'm going to pull it and see if a cable came loose.

4 minutes ago, ideaman924 said:

think the drive is done for, because now it shows some basic drive information, but doesn't give me any attributes. When I try to start a SMART test it immediately stops, with no result.

No, you just need to enable SMART:

SMART Disabled. Use option -s with argument 'on' to enable it

You were right, enabled SMART and running a self-test.

SMART attributes don't look that bad, but I'll leave it to you experts because I'm probably getting my hopes up too soon.

image.thumb.png.3b6484618a9eb6b977368d8a29b906d6.png

Attached SMART report in full. Currently running a short self-test to see if the CRC errors will go away.

EDIT: Finished short self-test without error, but the UDMA CRC errors are still there. I'm really out of time, so is there a way to green ball this device if the SMART looks good?

I haven't been able to find a spare SATA cable, will probably have to pick some up over vacation. Is this drive good to go? How do I reenable it if it is?

derrickserver-smart-20181211-2116.zip

Edited by Guest