[unRAID 6.6.6] Cloud Storage Configuration & Media

Hi everyone,

I've read the multitudes of posts and guides for how to setup cloud storage for unRAID for things like Plex/Emby. This post is not "how do I do this", but more of "how does it work?"

First, I currently have multiple drives in unRAID with enough storage for Plex/Emby media. Obviously, having it in a cloud storage provider would be nice, but will I still need the same data drives locally? I understand I will need something for containers/VMs/other, but will I need more space than just my cache?

Second, if I use cloud storage, what does the path look like to playing the media either locally or off-site? Say I am at a friends and I try to play something, does my unRAID server "download" the media then "uploads" to my client? So will my server use both download and upload to play media?

Third, what happens to media when I am playing something from the cloud storage? If my server quickly downloads it for playback, is it removed after it is done playing?

I apologize if these are simple questions, but I am just trying to wrap my head around how this works and if would allow me to expand easier than just buying more local drives. Thanks in advance for any answers!

-MandalorePatriot

1st: unRaid storage can be presented (shares) to your local computer so no, you would not need "same local drives" if I understand your question. The unRaid storage array can handle everything but booting your local computer OS.

2nd: I'm not sure how to answer this question as I am not sure what you are asking specifically. I play my media through Plex. Plex has an app that let's you interface with your media both internally (to your network) and externally (to your network) if you choose to set it up that way. I am also able to play movies from my Media folder on my unRaid storage array that is shared to my local laptop via VLC (that is my media player of choice on my laptop). It play just as if the movie file was stored locally on my laptop.

3rd: There is no "quickly downloaded". Your media is streamed (think Netflix / Amazon). There could be elements of transcoding to match your device's needs but that happens on your server. There are other options from Plex like the ability to sync files to your device but in those cases those files are in addition (other different copies) to you media files on your storage array.

I would recommend you run through Spaceinvader One's YouTube channel as he has many great video resources about unRaid and various setups. The second YouTube channel is from Byte My Bits. He has done some vids specifically dealing with Plex that might answer some of your questions. Here are some links...

Spaceinvader One Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZDfnUn74N0WeAPvMqTOrtA/videos

Byte My Bits Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCB2TRuFjwgWdbHEaGHP1kfw/videos

There are many other resources out there but Spaceinvader One is at the top.

Edited by llwhite
  • Like 1

I'mnot sure I understand how you are using the term "cloud storage" versus "local drives in unRaid". In very simplistic terms, cloud storage can be considered any storage not on your "local" system. So, to me, working on a laptop my unRaid storage is cloud storage. But maybe this explanation will help:

it is the Plex application that provides the "wrapper" of your media files providing a nice interface similar to what you see when you look at Netflix or Amazon streaming etc. So, all of my files are stored in my unRaid storage array in a "share" directory. The plex software "knows" that directory is there (there is a config path to tell it) and it serves those media file up after they are imported (metadata) into the app. The movie file (as an example) still only eists in one place but now has metatdata (thumbnails, imdb type info, actor info etc) existing in plex.

That is really longwinded for an explanation. If you still have questions, I would direct you to Byte My Bits YouTube channel (his earlier stuff). He actually has a few vids on building an actual plex server on unRaid.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, MandalorePatriot said:

I've read the multitudes of posts and guides for how to setup cloud storage for unRAID for things like Plex/Emby

If you are referring to the Plex cloud service that allowed you to store media in a Dropbox, Google Drive, or OneDrive account and stream it through Plex clients, that service was discontinued on November 30, 2018.

No local NAS storage was required with this solution, but, it has been discontinued.

https://forums.plex.tv/t/plex-cloud-to-be-discontinued-nov-30-2018/306986

As mentioned, if configured for remote access, Plex lets you access your content on unRAID from anywhere with a decent Internet connection.  There are four remote households which access my Plex server for streaming content.  In this scenario, unRAID becomes the Plex "cloud" for remote access.

Edited by Hoopster
  • Like 1