(SOLVED) New ASUS router, no access to internet

tboggie

Hi,

I replaced my router (Technicolor tg589vac) with a new one (ASUS RT-AC3200), and although I have better wifi coverage and internet access through laptops and other devices, there is a problem with all apps running on my unraid server accessing the internet.

Few issues I have noticed:

1. Remote access to Plex server no longer works. I have set up port forwarding on the ASUS router as I did on the previous router, and while remote access to Plex server works fine when I reconnect my old router, I have no access to Plex Server when I reconnect the ASUS router. I also used port checker tool http://canyouseeme.org/ to see if port 32400 is opened. It fails (closed on port 32400) when ASUS router is connected and works fine (opened on port 32400) with the old router.

2. I cannot search for tv shows or movies through Sonarr and Radarr, it either hangs or does not return anything. Again, it works fine when I reconnect the old router

I tried other random things like running speedtest, but i got the following message - cannot retrieve speednet configuration.

I have a feeling it's something silly I have not configured properly, either on the router or unraid server.  Please see screenshots from the router config pages and attached logs. Hopefully, someone can help. 

Regards,

T

XY6PBml.pngkoWwuML.png

tower-diagnostics-20181212-1626.zip

Edited by tboggie
Issue has been resolved.

Oh btw, the first thing I did was to contact ASUS and I was not impressed with their technical support.

They gathered all the info I provided and emailed it to another department. Just got a response today through email. 

Thank you for contacting ASUS Support and for your time.

This email is with regards your ASUS RT-AC3200 router. In order for us to further assist you, could you please advise the following:

What kind of server and what kind of services are you running, i.e. FTP?

Can you browse the internet freely, do you have internet connection?

Is it the applications that you are running that are not connecting properly?

P.S - In my initial conversation with them, I already explained the issues, and all answers to all they asked in this email was already given to them, so not sure why they were asking the same questions.

Edited by tboggie

Does ASUS have a User Forum?  These can often provide better support than the technical support groups for many products! If all else fails, have a look at the Ubiquiti Line of routers and access points.  They ahve an excellent support group on their user forum.  You can get a Ubiquiti ER-X router and a  Ubiquiti AP-AC-LR Access Point for about $150US.  Be advised that this is a prosumer router and does require configuration.  You can read more about this setup procedure in this tutorial:

https://github.com/mjp66/Ubiquiti/blob/master/Ubiquiti Home Network.pdf

@tboggie I echo Frank1940's sentiments.  The ASUS user forums have always been more help to me than actual ASUS support.

I am currently using a Ubiquiti USG router (similar to the EdgeRouter X) and UAP-AC-LR and UAP-AC-IW access points.  It is excellent gear.

Before moving to Ubiquiti, I had an ASUS router for several years, very similar to the one giving you problems, and it never had the issues you describe.  Plex remote access through forwarded port 32400 worked as it should.  All unRAID dockers that needed Internet access also functioned without issue.  I agree that it is most likely a configuration issue. If you have changed nothing in the unRAID/docker config, it is not likely there are any issues there, especially since all works with the old router.

If I still had the ASUS router, I would fire it up and walk through likely configuration issues with you.  Perhaps something is disabled in the router that needs to be enabled.  Unfortunately, I can't be of much help there.

Try the ASUS user forums. 

You guys are jumping the gun.  Buddy just replaced his router.  The old one works fine.  The new one isn't, but it does work for other devices than unRaid, so there is nothing wrong with the router.

He is using Static IPs.  The gateway setting on his server is not set to the default Asus (at least not mine) IP address of the router.  No point in hitting the Asus forums or changing the firmware on the router until the server is confirmed to be set correctly for the new router.

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, Squid said:

He is using Static IPs.  The gateway setting on his server is not set to the default Asus (at least not mine) IP address of the router.

Yeah, I see where you are going. The default IP address on my ASUS router was 192.168.1.1 and it looks like that is what it is on the model the OP has as well, at least according to this site. I made the erroneous assumption that unRAID was properly configured.

@tboggie Your network.cfg file indicates a gateway and DNS address of 192.168.1.254.  As Squid inquired previously, have you changed your router IP address to this or is it still the default of 192.168.1.1? 

Double check your router IP address and make sure unRAID is configured with this gateway address and try the OpenDNS IPs as your DNS servers. Squid has indicated your best first troubleshooting step.  As he said, the rest of us may have jumped the gun 😀

• Upvote 1