Can't connect QNAP or Win10 box to Unraid server via SMB

I'm fairly new to Unraid, and was in the process of copying over my media from my QNAP NAS last night when all of the sudden, I got a bunch of errors on the QNAP telling me it had failed to copy over the media.  I had already copied something like 6TB, so I'm a little confused as to why it dropped.

So I tried to remove the connection in my QNAP NAS, and re-add it, only to be given this error message:

image.png.a4975bc2962d4d09bc107e0343cddf1f.png

I also tried to go to my Windows 10 network, and it doesn't show.  When I try to enter the IP address or name, it does nothing.  My Unraid GUI works just fine and the pool is still there, but I can't seem to connect to it as I had before.

Here's the kicker though: My windows 7 box can see the Unraid server and I can navigate around the folders.  Does Unraid "Fall Back" on an old SMB version or something? If so, how do I disable that?

Any tips/tricks I might be able to try?

Edit: ok, so solved a few issues:

1. In QNAP remote mount tool, you must mount a Folder, but DO NOT start with a "/", and you must use an actual user NOT root.

2. In Windows 10, I had to actually type in \\IP-of-Unraid to get it to connect.  Network discovery did not show it.

3. I had created a folder called "Movies" using the Cloud Commander tool.  This apparently set some sort of permission/ownership that did not allow anyone else to write to the folder, so I deleted it.

Edited by Coolsaber57
3 hours ago, Coolsaber57 said:

Yeah I have Network Discovery enabled already - it sees my other computers and NAS, just not Unraid.

So you have enabled "SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support" in Windows Features (Like attached graphic)?  I thought that was required to "trully" enable it.  Actually maybe this would have been a better link than the one I used earlier:

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/2106698-windows-10-pro-can-t-see-computers-on-my-network

The other thing I have done is disable SMB2/3 on Win10 like documented here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2696547/how-to-detect-enable-and-disable-smbv1-smbv2-and-smbv3-in-windows-and

SMB 1.0 file sharing.png

Edited by BobPhoenix
4 hours ago, BobPhoenix said:

So you have enabled "SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support" in Windows Features (Like attached graphic)?  I thought that was required to "trully" enable it.  Actually maybe this would have been a better link than the one I used earlier:

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/2106698-windows-10-pro-can-t-see-computers-on-my-network

The other thing I have done is disable SMB2/3 on Win10 like documented here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2696547/how-to-detect-enable-and-disable-smbv1-smbv2-and-smbv3-in-windows-and

SMB 1.0 file sharing.png

Hmm, I had thought that was not recommended as it has security issues. Is Unraid's SMB only 1.0?

35 minutes ago, Coolsaber57 said:

Hmm, I had thought that was not recommended as it has security issues. Is Unraid's SMB only 1.0?

If you want server name and not just IP address access to unRAID, SMB 1.0 is pretty much required.  Microsoft has messed with SMB/network discovery an awful lot lately and, yes, they are trying to kill SMB (in particular SMB 1.0).  Limetech is monitoring the situation, but, the replacement for SMB on Linux has yet to materialize.

19 hours ago, Hoopster said:

If you want server name and not just IP address access to unRAID, SMB 1.0 is pretty much required.  Microsoft has messed with SMB/network discovery an awful lot lately and, yes, they are trying to kill SMB (in particular SMB 1.0).  Limetech is monitoring the situation, but, the replacement for SMB on Linux has yet to materialize.

Ah ok thank you.

• 1 month later...

I have a new win 10 2019 LTSC 1809 install on a laptop.  I've enabled SMBv1 per BobPhoenix above, browsed his links and completed other searches for solutions via google.  Nothing is working, I cannot browse my unRAID server from my new win 10 laptop.  This SMB1.0 quirk between Linux and newer versions of win 10 seems unsolvable for me.  Too bad we can't use SMBv2 or SMBv3 in unRAID, seems odd this isn't resolved/updated in Linux...

There has to be other unRAID users with w10 1809 that have a workaround.  Does anyone have any other ideas to try to resolve?

@moose, MS is (attempting to) permanently disable SMBv1 which is required for Network Discovery.  Nothing can be done about from the Linux side of the equation!  

I believe that adding your server name and IP address to the Hosts file on your Win10 may fix the problem.  (It has in the past!)  You can also use the \\IP address (ex.,  \\192.168.1.231   )  in Windows Explorer to open up the server in Windows Explorer.  Then 'drag' the URL to the desktop and create a 'Shortcut'.  Then edit the shortcut as required (Icon, shortcut name, etc.).

It is a pain in a certain bodypart but Network smbv1 and Network Discovery apparently present security risks and MS is going to eliminate that risk.  

EDIT:  You could also map the server (to a drive letter) using the IP address.  You could then just click on the mapped drive letter to open up the server just as you would any other physical drive on your system.  

Edited by Frank1940

Thanks Frank.  The hosts modification doesn't work, I already tried your other suggestions to no avail.  I'll keep investigating, researching and trying other methods.  I think MS changed something with Win 10 version 1809 which might prevent earlier workarounds.

If/when I find a solution, I'll report back to this thread.

@moose, do you have a smb connection using any other device?   I am surprised that neither the Hosts file addition or the IP address   (you did use the double backslashes before the address?) or mapping the server as a drive did not work.   IF that is the case there should be a lot of very unhappy WIN10 (1809) folks out there very shortly.  I understand that MS is opened the pipeline for forced upgrades...

Edited by Frank1940

I found and fixed the unRAID SMBv1 access issue via this article:

https://www.techcrumble.net/2018/03/you-cant-access-this-shared-folder-because-your-organizations-security-policies-block-unauthenticated-guest-access/

I had followed BobPhoenix's enable "SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support", also updated my hosts file per your earlier suggestion, the step in the linked article was the last step I needed.  It's a Win 10 "rookie mistake" by me.  (I'm new to Win 10.)

Thanks for your help Frank and LT team!

Edited by moose
  • Like 1