how do you reactivate a Faulty Drive from UDMA CRC error count

comet424

i dunno what disk tunables are

but my Parity Disk is a WD 12TB 7200RPM 256MB hard drive

so it takes roughly betwwen 23-26 hours depending if i watching a movie or its doing something else..  and i know 2 disks are on Sata2 and my Parity and my other couple drives are on a Sata3    connections but thats because the gaming computer mobo was transitioning to all Sata3  as this board is 5  yrs old.. so no worries there im sure my next gaming board i gonna use for the unraid will be all Sata3  and speeds improve a bit more

but its much better then my old mobo  on a Sata1 speeds  it took a while only using 2 and 2.5 TB hard drives

ya i have a few slots i could use a card..  i googled the LSI 2008 card  amazon said raid card..

now my question is its a Raid card... and when i did Raid before with the onboard motherboard..  my motherboard blew... i exchanged the motherboard but the raid was unrecoverable since it wasnt the same board or what not..  i have no experience with Raid controller boards you plug in.   would that still happen

but then again im also doing unraid and they dont do raid...   but still no experience in an extra card for sata ports.. are these good cards.. im used to only the onboard... but if these cards are good then ya defently can go this way then i wouldnt have to upgrade the gaming board to another gaming board.. just add a card.. as CPUS are fast enough these days to run plex  and backup...

whats your review on these cards... for someone thats never had one...  and you mentioned Flashed to a IT firmware  whats special about a IT firmware  maybe you can explain that better...  explain it for a newbie for a card like that.. and thank you for other ideas for my options 🙂

No, that one is an 8e card, meaning it has external ports. It should be an 8i card. They are SAS cards. SAS is also compatible with SATA. You also need mini SAS to SATA cables.

They are fairly easy to flash. You can find several guides online. This site is a good resource: https://www.servethehome.com

The nice thing about these cards is they have 8 6Gb ports on them. Getting them going isn’t always for everyone.

Yes, that card is perfect. It needs a firmware upgrade anyway and would be easier to flash to the IT firmware since it's not a Dell or IBM card that needs cross-flashed.

If you don't flash it with the IT firmware it works as a RAID card and I don't believe the drives aren't directly visible by Unraid.

Just now, comet424 said:

whats cross flashing.. is that flashing a firmware that wasnt ment for the card...  and brand is LSI  would they even have a IT firmware from there own site.... or is it hurdels to change the Firmware..

learn something new everyday...

Yes, cross flashing turns another branded card like a Dell H310 or an IBM M1015 into an LSI 9211. There are a few more steps to get the LSI firmware on there. I think Dell has an HBA (IT) firmware but I'm not sure. I decided to flash mine to a 9211.

No hurdles to get the IT firmware. Both IR (RAID) and IT firmwares are available in the same download from Broadcom. Broadcom now owns LSI tech. That card you linked would be easier to flash.

Just now, comet424 said:

i looked up cards firmware and downloads 

it has Drivers for FreeBSD is that what unraid is.. or is that Freenas

but not sure what firmware it need.. but ill order a card tommorow that way i dont need to upgrade my computer yet

https://www.broadcom.com/products/storage/host-bus-adapters/sas-9210-8i#downloads

Don't use the 20.00.00.00 firmware, it's buggy. The 20.00.07.00 is the one you want.

ah ok  i ment the hurdles i ment is for the cross upgrading..  how come you can flash the Dell or IBM with a different companies firmware.. is it that the chip on the dell or ibm  uses the LSI brand chip  that way you can do that..

and ok thats why i couldnt find the brand LSI website  just broadcom  i thought i was missing something...

and the 7.00 version that one is only for windows.. while the others are for linux freebsd etc.. or it doesnt matter  just the 7.00 will work

well now to order a card and wait a month to get to me.. least then ill have fast sata connections instead of mixed speeds 

Not sure about the one from eBay. It shows it's shipping from China. I personally try to avoid ordering parts from China but that's just me. Mostly due to the shipping time. If that doesn't bother you they do seem to be a highly rated seller.

I was looking at the 9210/11 differences last night. It does look like the only difference between the two is the position of the ports.

ah ok  thats what  i thought in the end too

oh do you know anything about multipler cards  i was looking at this instead of getting a raid card?   1 Sata port on your motherboard equals 5 sata ports or so

i saw it from the 45drives  cases and backblaze  they use a 1 Sata port to a 5 sata multiplier

https://www.ebay.com/p/SATA-1-to-5-Ports-Multiplier-Extender-Adapter-Riser-Card-SATA-Hub-SATAII-3gbps/2228735005?iid=253228455152

1 hour ago, comet424 said:

ah ok  thats what  i thought in the end too

oh do you know anything about multipler cards  i was looking at this instead of getting a raid card?   1 Sata port on your motherboard equals 5 sata ports or so

i saw it from the 45drives  cases and backblaze  they use a 1 Sata port to a 5 sata multiplier

https://www.ebay.com/p/SATA-1-to-5-Ports-Multiplier-Extender-Adapter-Riser-Card-SATA-Hub-SATAII-3gbps/2228735005?iid=253228455152

I’ve heard SATA port multipliers can be problematic. Plus there’s a lot less bandwidth there. Squeezing 5 3 Gb drives through a single 3Gb link. Performance is likely going to be bad. Particularly on parity checks. During parity checks my LSI card can be pushing over 1 gigabyte per second during the first 25% of the scan.

ok i kinda understand... and if hard drives can only do 256meg/s  then isnt a 6GB/s be good 

as the 12TB drive is Sata3  but it only does like 256 meg/s   nothing like the SSD at 500  so wouldnt that be good?    and why does the first 25% go 1gigabyte per second

here is couple links

https://www.backblaze.com/b2/storage-pod.html

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/petabytes-on-a-budget-how-to-build-cheap-cloud-storage/

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/open-source-data-storage-server/

i like the case but at over 1000 canadian  it isnt worth for it me for home use  but love how its compact etc