how do you reactivate a Faulty Drive from UDMA CRC error count

comet424

Turl  to your comment what i mean 

is parity wasnt running or it did i forget the notification 

but what  i mean is the parity drive doesnt save copy of the broken drive till it runs it parity check right

as i copied over a couple videos to my server.. and a few hours later i went to watch it.. but it wasnt there where i copied it

so i access tower/  in the gui  and it said that same drive failed again..

so i not sure where the files went to

and ya i mean i know parity has no files just a 1 or 0 calculation to emulate   i just used it as a reference 

i ordered a raid card  but who knows when it will come

I didn't really understand all you were saying but any data copied to the array should still be there, either on one of the other disks or on emulated disk2, in any case disk2 dropped offline, most likely from a bad SATA cable, replace it and it should come back online, then post new diags to confirm SMART is OK,

12 minutes ago, comet424 said:

what  i mean is the parity drive doesnt save copy of the broken drive till it runs it parity check right

The parity drive is updated AT THE SAME TIME any writes occur in the data array. It DOES NOT wait until the parity check. All parity check does is check that parity is still correct, but parity is always up-to-date.

And parity doesn't have any copies of any files from any disks. That isn't how parity works. How could parity possibly have a copy of the data from however many disks you have? It doesn't have the capacity.

Do what johnnie said.

ah ok  ill go pick a new cable up today as my current ones are too short.. 

well thats why i confused i copied the file  and it wasnt anywhere on the array i scanned entire locations  nothing  so im like what the heck.. and when i logged into the tower  i found disk 2 was dropped off.. figured it was lost?  

but ill get back to you when i get the new cable and smart info  i appreciate it 🙂

yes i know parity doesnt save any data  i said that above.. i said its emulated

as for parity update ok i figured it was only updated once a week  that i have it set at..

and yes i going to do that what john said i replied before you replied with your answer

i appreicate all the help ill get back to you guys later...

just wonder where the files went 

1 minute ago, comet424 said:

as for parity update ok i figured it was only updated once a week  that i have it set at..

No it happens immediately as I have said. And weekly parity checks is a lot more often than most people do it. Since you know now that parity checks is not how parity gets updated, you can do them less frequently. Most people do it monthly, but some even less frequently than that. Parity should be correct all the time. It is just a check.

5 minutes ago, comet424 said:

and when i logged into the tower  i found disk 2 was dropped off

It shouldn't be necessary to open the webUI to know that you have a problem like this. You MUST setup Notifications to alert you immediately by email or other agent whenever Unraid detects a problem. People who don't know when they get the first problem are people who wind up with multiple problems they can't recover from.

As for the "lost" file, who knows? It has nothing to do with any of this. Probably we will never find out. Possibly some misunderstanding is to blame.

oh ok  i left the parity check to default so it was doing it every sunday...  ok ill set it to check once a month then..  it cant hurt ..  

ah i never setup email for notification  ill set it up.. i usually have tower/  always loaded up  as i noticed... if i set Update Plugins and Dockers setting  if i set update everyday and Not to send notifications it still sends notifications...

but ya who knows what happened to the file..no big deal.. i just didnt know  parity is updated at same time as i copy files..

thanks  

ill get back to you guys with the smart once i go buy a new cable today.. Merry Christmas if i dont get back to you guys till after christmas 🙂 and thank you

ok so i replace the cable i hot glued the cables 

and reconstructed  disk 2 (12tb)  went fine

so i been downloading to my array and copying files to and from the array..    and yesterday Parity Check started even though i set to every 4 weeks on a sunday..    so not too sure why it started but ok

this morning i check the tower on the parity check... and Drive 2 is down again   Parity Check cancelled... when  parity check cancels do i loose any data?

soo what could it be  is it motherboard?  is it the hot swap  is it it just the hard drive

are you guys able to figure it out from the reports?

i ordered that LSI raid card but that doesnt come sometime after Jan 11  if im lucky

28 minutes ago, comet424 said:

when  parity check cancels do i loose any data?

No, though scheduled checks should be non correcting, in some cases a correcting check can corrupt parity data when there are issues on a data disk.

You need to start swapping things around to rule out as many as possible, cables, controllers, PSU, etc.

well i know i remember seeing check mark for correcting i dont see it now i guess cuz the drive went down..

i have a spare hot swap hooked up  so i i slide it in there and do reconstruct  should rule out that hot swap... how do you rule out psu or the controller.. 

so i could lost some data then  cuz of the check mark it had for correcting??    should  i is there a setting to turn that off corrections?

i copying files off my array for now so thats going to take 16 hours.. so ill swap out the drive into another bay

i guess unraid cant tell if controller goes bad?

14 minutes ago, comet424 said:

i best get some more hard drives for my 2nd unraid and make backups of the first server at this rate 

You absolutely MUST have backups of anything important and irreplaceable. Parity is NOT a substitute for backups. If you don't have backups of anything important and irreplaceable, then that should be your first priority, before trying to fix your hardware problems.

i had it but since since i moved to unraid from WHS  it was showing bad drives so  i just got new big hard drives and then moved the files to unraid... and then was junking the old drives.. and any that failed the preclear unraid program

but ill back up to some externals i have kicking around..  thanks for the input most appreciative 

44 minutes ago, comet424 said:

so i could lost some data then  cuz of the check mark it had for correcting??

Possible but unlikely, diags would show.

45 minutes ago, comet424 said:

should  i is there a setting to turn that off corrections? 

Yes, on the schedule settings.

43 minutes ago, comet424 said:

and me having BTRS  file system  wouldnt compromise this issue does it?

No, btrfs helps in this case, since if there are doubts you can run a scrub to confirm data is intact.

ok ill post the diagnostic file i havent turned off computer or array.. as i still copying files around..

so should the corrections thing always be off?  when does it come in handy?

and i read about scrub  but never knew what people talking about or how to use it

i really didnt think id ever have issues with new hard drives.. but then again  this year is the first time i used unraid or heard of it..  i been a WHS user for 15 yrs or so  and windows  so i never noticed issues before..

so  once my copying is done in 16 hours i gonna back up my important files to the one external hard drive i have with some spare space... never thought id ever have troubles go figure lol

here is the diagnostic file

tower-diagnostics-20181229-0901.zip

ya mines passive i guess too.. its this one  i have an antec computer case and filled it with these modules

https://www.buyanything.co.za/ch-adfhsm2

but ill try a different one as i got another space..  just frustrating  i tell ya.. and i cant get these modules anymore... because antec doesnt make it and only place you can buy it now are computer places in South Africa  and they dont ship to canada.... soooo gotta use what i got and try to upgrade i like the rosewell 12 bay hot swap computer case

and this is screen shot i took too  

unraida1.JPG

ah ok thats great news then.. and ill make a backup of the other stuff..  i need backups  and then ill try a different slot for the disk 2  to rule out of its the hot swap or controller

or ill pull cable off the hot swap and stick it on a different hot swap then can rule out if its controller or hot swap module

• 2 weeks later...

@Taddeusz i got the LSI 9210-8I card  Booting up computer sees it Windows sees it... the LSI software doesnt..

i tried the DOS method then i get PAL error then i did the Shell EFI boot up  and i cant seem to figure how you find the software on it the sas2flash

i been googling and still cant figure it out.. people can just sas2flash -list or listall  and shows  but for me i cant even get it to show an adapter

and this is the card i bought

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LSI-SAS-9210-8i-8-port-6Gb-s-PCIe-RAID-SATA-Controller-card-2pcs-SFF-8087-cables/172864804594?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

how do i do this?

lsi1.JPG

Edited by comet424