how do you reactivate a Faulty Drive from UDMA CRC error count

comet424

ah wow  so  you need hard drives with the extra lip on it so it can lock.. and here i thought all satas were the same... frig need to go back to ide cables lol

as for that drive cage... i looked at getting that one too...    how long did it last before it broke? did the whole thing break... i looked at the super micro ones too and startech and another brand.. is one better then the others really 

48 minutes ago, comet424 said:

as for that drive cage... i looked at getting that one too...    how long did it last before it broke? did the whole thing break... i looked at the super micro ones too and startech and another brand.. is one better then the others really 

It lasted for about 4 years. And it might have been the stream of upgrades I did that stressed the connectors from removing and re-installing it. I could always try to reflow the solder but I'm not really sure it's worth my time since what I have now is working for me.

50 minutes ago, comet424 said:

why were the locking tabs annoying and dont you want locking tabs so vibrations of multiple hard drives dont shake it loose?

For me it was because I was doing a bunch of hardware upgrades and getting to the locks on the connectors to unplug them was a bit annoying at times since they were spaced so close together.

oh ok as i was also looking at invidividual  hot swap bays so if one of those blocks of 5 breaks  you can always swap out a new one instead

https://www.amazon.ca/StarTech-com-HSB100SATBK-5-25-Inch-Trayless-3-5-Inch/dp/B000KS8S9W/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1546912564&sr=8-18&keywords=hot+swap+mobile+rack

so then hot swaps are not too bad  as long as your not upgrading too much pulling cables etc

so i got that lsi 9210 card installed in my unraid  and i reconstructed the drive things seem well so far.. so might been the hot swap or the motherboard... but i having another issue.. slow transfers  i was getting before over 100meg/s from my ssd from my desktop to my unraid before the lsi card just from my motherboard sata...  now im getting between 5-40meg/s    usb external drive i plug into usb 3 on my desktop  or directly in the unraid and then use vm to copy to the unraid i only getting 24 meg/s or was getting 8meg from the vm copy  and 24 meg /s from the desktop to unraid

i checked each drive info

said the 3 12TB drives are sata 3.2  6gb/s

1   6TB drive         sata 3.1  6gb/s

2  2TB drive         sata 3.0  6gb/s

all drives are 7200 rpms

so is there a way to test i getting the full speed out of the drives is the lsi card limiting  

my motherboard is a Asus Rampage IV Formula  if that helps

but so far no udma error so far

Edited by comet424

How many PCIe lanes does the card have allotted to it? If you go the console and run "lspci -vv" you can get this information. Here is the example from my own server. If you look at the lines LnkCap and LnkSta mine shows "Speed 5GT/s, Width x8". The card is x8 so ideally it needs 8 lanes.

01:00.0 Serial Attached SCSI controller: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic SAS2008 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-2 [Falcon] (rev 03)
        Subsystem: Dell 6Gbps SAS HBA Adapter
        Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
        Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
        Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
        Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 16
        Region 0: I/O ports at 4000 [disabled] [size=256]
        Region 1: Memory at 90140000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
        Region 3: Memory at 90100000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256K]
        Expansion ROM at 90000000 [disabled] [size=1M]
        Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 3
                Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1+ D2+ AuxCurrent=0mA PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)
        Capabilities: [68] Express (v2) Endpoint, MSI 00
                DevCap: MaxPayload 4096 bytes, PhantFunc 0, Latency L0s <64ns, L1 <1us
                        ExtTag+ AttnBtn- AttnInd- PwrInd- RBE+ FLReset+ SlotPowerLimit 0.000W
                DevCtl: Report errors: Correctable+ Non-Fatal+ Fatal+ Unsupported+
                        RlxdOrd+ ExtTag+ PhantFunc- AuxPwr- NoSnoop+ FLReset-
                        MaxPayload 256 bytes, MaxReadReq 512 bytes
                DevSta: CorrErr+ UncorrErr- FatalErr- UnsuppReq+ AuxPwr- TransPend-
                LnkCap: Port #0, Speed 5GT/s, Width x8, ASPM L0s, Exit Latency L0s <64ns
                        ClockPM- Surprise- LLActRep- BwNot- ASPMOptComp-
                LnkCtl: ASPM Disabled; RCB 64 bytes Disabled- CommClk+
                        ExtSynch- ClockPM- AutWidDis- BWInt- AutBWInt-
                LnkSta: Speed 5GT/s, Width x8, TrErr- Train- SlotClk+ DLActive- BWMgmt- ABWMgmt-
                DevCap2: Completion Timeout: Range BC, TimeoutDis+, LTR-, OBFF Not Supported
                         AtomicOpsCap: 32bit- 64bit- 128bitCAS-
                DevCtl2: Completion Timeout: 50us to 50ms, TimeoutDis-, LTR-, OBFF Disabled
                         AtomicOpsCtl: ReqEn-
                LnkCtl2: Target Link Speed: 5GT/s, EnterCompliance- SpeedDis-
                         Transmit Margin: Normal Operating Range, EnterModifiedCompliance- ComplianceSOS-
                         Compliance De-emphasis: -6dB
                LnkSta2: Current De-emphasis Level: -6dB, EqualizationComplete-, EqualizationPhase1-
                         EqualizationPhase2-, EqualizationPhase3-, LinkEqualizationRequest-

That doesn't look right. Are you sure that's the one for your LSI card? LinkCap (capability) should be x8. LinkSta (status) would be what the motherboard gave it. Check out your manual page on the slots. It appears that they should give a minimum of x8 depending on how the other slots are filled.

Capture.PNG.49a56b834734457915f02c4ef5dac760.PNG

my video card uses slot 1..

lsi card uses slot 4

and i have no idea that command you gave scrolled a whole bunch on the screen and when i scrolled up i didnt get to the orginal command prompt so i just took screen shot of what you had at the very top..  
can the command just do the lsi card

1 minute ago, comet424 said:

all i know is when i used the sata ports on the motherboard it was faster  when i installed the lsi card and ran for there it got slower... is there a setting in the card to change?

Not really and I don't know why there would be such a huge performance difference.

Try setting your tunables as follows:

Tunable (md_num_stripes): 4096
Tunable (md_sync_window): 2048
Tunable (md_sync_thresh): 2047

i installed the diskspeed pluggin and ran that thing

i couldnt do  Disk4( 2TB) and Disk Parity (12Tb)  both  when at end  couldnt do this Speed Gap of maximum 45 meg  kept hitting 55-110mb... not sure if these pics help at all 

and thats with no file transfers  going on at all except windows VM doing updates

drive1.JPG

drive1a.JPG

drive1b.JPG

drive2a.JPG

drive2b.JPG

drive3a.JPG

drive3b.JPG

drive4a.JPG

drive4b.JPG

Those are really good numbers. I would recommend when you run this to shut down your VM's and all other Docker applications. That way you reduce the amount of possible activity. You have to keep in mind that performance on your array is limited by the slowest drive. When you were copying the file the first time which drive did it end up on? Which drive did your copy end up on that time? When I copy files I generally get about 50-75MB/s depending and sometimes slower depending on which drive it's hitting and where on the drive it's being written.

Just for comparison here is my last test. My parity drive is attached to my motherboard because I have 8 drives on my LSI card.

Capture2.thumb.PNG.0f88ee81eaf94ea03e2c87bb245a47aa.PNG

i wish the test would say do all drives so i can just walk away.. but then i found that that Speed Gap test keeps retrying i quit when it said Retry 11

if those are good numbers why they keep dropiing  shouldnt they keep at a steady high..

and all my hds are 7200 rpm... im guessing it should be copying to disk 2 the 12tb  as its the only one with disk space left??  that was also the drive that had 3 udma errors till i got the lsi card and hoping it doesnt happen again..

i used to get speeds over 100meg  as i guess thats the speed you get for gigabit lan   but the hds least the 12 and 250mb/s last i remember? so i should be getting close to it right..  i just dont know why i getting slow speeds now lol  5-40meg/s  i liked the 100+ lol

The speeds progressively drop because hard drives store the same amount of data on the inner most track as they do on the outer most track. Because drives spin at a constant rate the result is it takes less time to read from the inner tracks and so transfer rates are higher there than the outer tracks.

The maximum theoretical gigabit transfer rate is around 118MB/s. A lot is going to affect that though. In Unraid it depends on your RAM usage and how much is available for cache. If the file you are copying easily fits within the cache you'll likely get near theoretical speed. If it's a larger file you'll get that fast speed until the cache is filled and it has to start writing to the array. Then it's dependent on the write speed of the writing drive.