how do you reactivate a Faulty Drive from UDMA CRC error count

comet424

ah ok .. well  you think youd still get close to 100mb/s at all times...  ill try copying files with the vms and dockers shut down.. im currently doing the speed test... i used to have a 250GB cache ssd  i was playing with ... but when i was copying and it went to 250 past unraid kept saying your cache full.. so that didnt help things lol.. so i just took it out and copy directly to the array..  and how much ram do i need  just got 12 for now  but ill post the disk speed thing shortly when its done

A significant limiting factor in Unraid when writing to the parity protected array is the fact that each ‘write’ operation actually involves 4 I/O operations.   These consist of reading a sector from both the parity drive and data drive, at least one disk rotation, and then writing the updated sectors back to the data and parity disks.

Edited by itimpi
1 minute ago, comet424 said:

ah ok .. well  you think youd still get close to 100mb/s at all times...  ill try copying files with the vms and dockers shut down.. im currently doing the speed test... i used to have a 250GB cache ssd  i was playing with ... but when i was copying and it went to 250 past unraid kept saying your cache full.. so that didnt help things lol.. so i just took it out and copy directly to the array..  and how much ram do i need  just got 12 for now  but ill post the disk speed thing shortly when its done

You probably didn't have your shares set correctly for the mover to do it's job. I have a 500GB NVMe SSD. To automatically move data from the cache to array your shares need to be set to "Yes". If they are set to "Prefer" or "Only" the data will remain on the cache drive.

As far as RAM goes it just depends on what you want to do with it. I currently have 16GB and am about to put another 16GB in this weekend because I want to be able to run more VM's at once.

6 minutes ago, itimpi said:

A significant limiting factor in Unraid when writing to the parity protected array is the fact that each ‘write’ operation actually involves 4 I/O operations.   These consist of reading a sector from both the parity drive and data drive, at least one disk rotation, and then writing the updated sectors back to the data and parity disks.

Also, if you have your array set to "reconstruct write" it will be able to perform faster.

Just now, comet424 said:

so that means it be significatenly slower...  so what are the options to speed it up if possible?? and here is teh disk report i only took pic of the main one.. and the other 2 drives also completed the test where before they couldnt   speed gap issue

this is no vms no doctors running

diskk1.JPG

You can turn on the ‘turbo write’ mode.   That eliminates the need to first read a sector from the data and parity drives at the cost of having all drives spinning.

oh ok its set to auto... so i want reconstruct then

so what does it do when its auto mode... and those numbers i had to change 4096 2048 etc what did that do for me... 

learning new stuff everyday... and if i removed the parity  would that speed it up

as i was thinking of like 1 server i copy all stuff too.. and then a backupserver that backs up all my data  with parity  but right now i just have the 1 server mainly going  

1 minute ago, comet424 said:

and where is the turbo write mode.. and is that safe to use?  draw backs? 

It's another name for reconstruct write. The only drawback is that all the drives need to be spun up to write data. You can install the "CA Auto Turbo Write Mode" plugin to mitigate this if you prefer your drives to spin down when possible.

ok seems copying from my 5TB external drive usb to the unraid still 30 meg/s connected to teh desktop

but if i copy from the unraid to my desktop ssd  i hitting 111meg/s

and copying from the SSD (desktop) to the unraid im gett 113 meg/s  

transfering 8gb of data of 2 3GB files

so its working great now... not so much for the external drive  but thats the WD blue drive in the WD Book  i havent tested the usb 3 Startech enclosure with a 6tb WD Red Nas 7200rpm in it... but those settings so far improved things now i appreciate it.

Just now, comet424 said:

as for the cache drive i had set to 250gb i used  but transfering 6tb of data at once  it wouldnt matter for cache would it because the cahce couldnt unload it fast enough  as the drive its trying to transfer it all in one big copy right?

If you're copying large amounts of data like that I would recommend temporarily not using a cache. The way it works is that once the cache is filled up it will start writing directly to the array. It won't copy data from the cache to the array until the mover is scheduled to run or you manually initiate the mover.