how do you reactivate a Faulty Drive from UDMA CRC error count

comet424

ya i finally got  Shell to work not like others found it to work.. had to follow 2 different forms to get it to work

https://www.broadcom.com/products/storage/host-bus-adapters/sas-9210-8i#downloads

but can you double check for me i did it correct?

i installed  20.00.07.00  version  9210-8i_Package_P20_IR_IT_Firmware_BIOS_for_MSDOS_Windows

https://docs.broadcom.com/docs/12350504

and i upgraded  the bios and firmware  from the article i read

now  there is a newer bios  i think i kinda confused... under Bios  for downloads..

its 7.27.x.x.x.x.x.    yr 2016

but when i did the upgrade the firm and bios from the file above...  the bios i guess its 7.39 i think it was  from 2015  so i not sure do i upgrade the bios  or how do i read the proper bios to see if it worked...

if i did this correct  i going to install it in the unraid  as  i been just fiddling with the Windows  ill take a couple pics and upload from my phone to show you what i mean

as i havent had chance to swap my hard drive in a different bay to see if it was the motherboard or hot swap or if tis the hard drive...  just been busy

ah ok nope  just the unraid...  didnt know you could boot from that...

ok last question since things are good to go you say..

i havent done the Disk2  done that remove restart array stop  put the drive back and run array again..

do i do that now let it construct again and then put this controller card in... 

or do i install the card now hook up the drives to it.. and then figure how to get it to match the drives

3 minutes ago, comet424 said:

ah ok nope  just the unraid...  didnt know you could boot from that...

ok last question since things are good to go you say..

i havent done the Disk2  done that remove restart array stop  put the drive back and run array again..

do i do that now let it construct again and then put this controller card in... 

or do i install the card now hook up the drives to it.. and then figure how to get it to match the drives

If it was me, since you're having issues with the original setup, I would boot with the drives connected to the new controller and let it rebuild. As long as you're using the same Unraid boot flash it shouldn't have any trouble with the drives being on a different controller. I've swapped hard drive controllers a number of times and never had to "match" the drives. Unraid doesn't identify drives by controllers but by the drives themselves.

ok thank you ill do that then.. as i wasnt sure what to do..

so thats good it doesnt identify by controllers what i done was label each bay 1  2 3 4 5  and then read the serial number and match it to each Drive in un raid

i had before raid on my one motherboard and when it burned out  i replaced the motherboard with a different kind and i wasnt able to get my data back..  

so far so good @Taddeusz  i pulled the old cables out  installed the card and hooked them up and ya array came back on  great..  so i did the shut down array remove disk 2  then start then stop then add and now she reconstructing...

now i guess i shouldnt had hot glued the sata cables to my hot swap bays as it broke the 1...   and i cant order them from  South africa...  so now i have bypassed the hot swap..  cable directly going the hard drive.. so  if she fails again its the hard drive itself... as i couldnt see the hotswap having issues its direct wire leads end to end...

i cant tell how it explains it... as i figure it be udma error count 2...  since it happened twice  but who knows.. fingers crossed its not the hard drive

199         UDMA CRC error count   0x000a      200    200     000         Old age         Always

1 hour ago, comet424 said:

i guess i shouldnt had hot glued the sata cables to my hot swap bays as it broke the 1... 

For future reference, a small heat gun set on low will soften hot melt glue so it lets go without damage. The melt point on it is actually fairly low unless you buy super specialized high temp stuff.

oh i didnt know that  i thought of heat gun but  i figured heat gun would damage it before the glue would come off..

the glue sticks  i buy just cheap ones i can get at walmart or canadian tire.....

thank you.. wish i had asked before i tried pealing the hot glue off...  thank you @jonathanm  learn something new everyday..

so far the new lsi card working great...  my 12TB are showing up as Sata 3.2   6TB is showing up as Sata 3.1  and the 2 2TB drives are showing up as Sata 3.0  but i guessing they will all operated roughly same speed

1 hour ago, comet424 said:

so far so good @Taddeusz  i pulled the old cables out  installed the card and hooked them up and ya array came back on  great..  so i did the shut down array remove disk 2  then start then stop then add and now she reconstructing...

now i guess i shouldnt had hot glued the sata cables to my hot swap bays as it broke the 1...   and i cant order them from  South africa...  so now i have bypassed the hot swap..  cable directly going the hard drive.. so  if she fails again its the hard drive itself... as i couldnt see the hotswap having issues its direct wire leads end to end...

i cant tell how it explains it... as i figure it be udma error count 2...  since it happened twice  but who knows.. fingers crossed its not the hard drive

199         UDMA CRC error count   0x000a      200    200     000         Old age         Always

I've got a couple drives with UDMA CRC error counts from the backplane that seemingly messed up. They haven't gotten any higher since I did away with the backplane and direct connected them. I ended up getting a couple drive mounts that while they aren't front accessible have some really nice cooling on them.

3 minutes ago, comet424 said:

oh i didnt know that  i thought of heat gun but  i figured heat gun would damage it before the glue would come off..

the glue sticks  i buy just cheap ones i can get at walmart or canadian tire.....

thank you.. wish i had asked before i tried pealing the hot glue off...  thank you @jonathanm  learn something new everyday..

so far the new lsi card working great...  my 12TB are showing up as Sata 3.2   6TB is showing up as Sata 3.1  and the 2 2TB drives are showing up as Sata 3.0  but i guessing they will all operated roughly same speed

And if nothing else the careful application of heat from a soldering iron or even a cigarette lighter would also do the trick.

1 minute ago, comet424 said:

oh ok..  ya nothing perfect ... do you have a link i can see these drive mounts see what it looks like with the fan etc?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816132035

I got two of those. They're actually designed for specific Rosewill cases but They worked out fine with some modification on my case. I had to bend the little tabs out of the way that the 5-1/4in drives slid in on. Nothing too drastic. BTW, this is the case I got several years back:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811156269

Wanted something with a full front of 5-1/4in bays.

oh ok  thanks Johnathnm   ill remember that.. i never tried hot glue computer satas or anything in a computer till this crc error i got twice or 3 times unraid said.. so i tried everything... 

i was hoping the locking clips on the sata cables would have locked into my hot swap modules but not.. it be nice if  hot swap modules allow it to lock in.. or maybe tehy do i just havent had any that do

oh ya so no hot swap in that.. but u gotta screw the hard drive in...  and that style works well cuz it doesnt get loose.. i seen some modules that fit in computer cases too  but thats an option for me too..

currently my server is my gaming case its this one

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129087

and this is the hot swap module

https://www.buyanything.co.za/ch-adfhsm2

id get more but you cant get it in canada or usa.. only in South africa  and they dont ship to canada

1 minute ago, comet424 said:

oh ok  thanks Johnathnm   ill remember that.. i never tried hot glue computer satas or anything in a computer till this crc error i got twice or 3 times unraid said.. so i tried everything... 

i was hoping the locking clips on the sata cables would have locked into my hot swap modules but not.. it be nice if  hot swap modules allow it to lock in.. or maybe tehy do i just havent had any that do

If it was designed for SATA 2 or 3 it should. Connector locking wasn't part of the original SATA spec. You have to be careful with backplanes and make sure they support the correct speed rating. There's still SATA 1 and 2 stuff floating around out there.

well for the df-85 hot swap  when you look at it its just a soldered wire straight from one end to the other.. so i guess that should support any sata speed..   but ya  it cant lock  you just push the sata on.. and u can easilly pull it off  they dont lock on...  

but what hot swap modules are there that lock in.. is there a good brand.. is there a hot swap module  like the 4 5 drives that are better then another brand

2 minutes ago, comet424 said:

oh ya so no hot swap in that.. but u gotta screw the hard drive in...  and that style works well cuz it doesnt get loose.. i seen some modules that fit in computer cases too  but thats an option for me too..

The drives actually don't screw in. There are little pegs on the trays that hold the drives and then the trays click in. Other than mounting the drive cage itself there are no screws.