Issues with Updating Graphic Drivers

Xylter

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/13/2018 at 9:43 PM, Xylter said:

My graphics card is a Sapphire Vega 64. I was able to pass it through my windows 10 VM but if I goto AMD's website to get the drivers and try to install them the screen blacks out. I am new to VMs. Is there a different way I have to do it?

Hey, I have this exact problem and like you I'm very new to this and bit unsure what's causing this but I've done a lot to try and fix it, tried dumping bios, different pci slot etc, the one fix I've found that worked for me at least is old drivers, what worked for me is installing drivers 18.9.3 and 18.9.2 they seem to work without problems but I still can't reboot the VM, I have to restart unraid for that.

I can't speak to your specific issue, but with my Radeon 460 in Windows 10, any of the current radeon drivers kill my VM. I am currently on Radeon 17.7 (July 2017), and it seems to be fine.

I've learned to back up my VM image before trying to update the video drivers, because I do keep trying, hoping a current one will work... :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi folks,

I have the same issue as you have. It's also not related to the Vega Cards. I now own a Vega 56, but had a R9 390 before. With both cards, I was unable to update the Drivers in the VM to anything more recent than Adrenalin 18.9.3. When installing later drivers, the screen will black out and not return.

So I tried to use remote desktop for the driver installation, and was greeted with a "This driver is not signed, install anyways?"-message when installing the latest 19.x Adrenalin drivers, which is really odd. After acknowledging the request, the RDP session freezes, and won't return either. 

My hope is that these issues vanish once we are on unraid 6.7.x stable, which hopefully brings the Linux Kernel that includes the fixes for hanging AMD GPUs. As of now, I cannot start my vm a second time, because of the PCI error I get.