Help! Dead Drive and Unraid wants to build parity

I have a drive (disk 2) that has refused to spin up, I've tested it on a few different systems and it still won't spin up.  So the array restarted and now It says that all the data on the parity will be overwritten.  it also thinks that the parity and disk 1 are new drives when they are not. How do I start up the array with the disk missing so I can access the data until the new replacement drive shows up? If I can't start up without a new drive How do I start it up without losing any data? 

Capture.PNG

How exactly did you get to this state? Since parity and disk1 are in fact ALL of your disks then you must have either done a New Config yourself, or else it couldn't read your disk assignments from flash. Did you New Config?

Don't do anything else without further advice.

Go to Tools - Diagnostics and attach the complete diagnostics zip to your next post.

Well you might just try checking all your connections again. You must always double check all connections any time you are mucking about in the case.

New Config was not the right way to fix your problem either time. New Config tells Unraid to reset your disk assignments and optionally rebuild parity. So after a New Config you can't rebuild a failed disk without some trickery.

I am going to suggest that you shut down your server and leave it down until you are ready to replace that disk. Then we can discuss the trickery required to rebuild it. If you don't follow this advice then there will probably be no way to recover that data.

If parity is valid, and the by way you describe what happened it should be, this should work to rebuild disk2:

-Assign the new disk2
-Important - After that leave the browser on that page, the "Main" page.

-Open an SSH session/use the console and type:

mdcmd set invalidslot 2 29

-Back on the GUI and without refreshing the page, just start the array, do not check the "parity is already valid" box, disk2 will start rebuilding, disk should mount immediately but if it's unmountable don't format, wait for the rebuild to finish and then run a filesystem check

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
18 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

If parity is valid, and the by way you describe what happened it should be, this should work to rebuild disk2:

-Assign the new disk2
-Important - After that leave the browser on that page, the "Main" page.

-Open an SSH session/use the console and type:

mdcmd set invalidslot 2 29

-Back on the GUI and without refreshing the page, just start the array, do not check the "parity is already valid" box, disk2 will start rebuilding, disk should mount immediately but if it's unmountable don't format, wait for the rebuild to finish and then run a filesystem check

Johnnie,

Can you break down what the mdcmd command does...specifically the "29"?

Thanks!