10GB pci-e card recommendations

wgstarks

I’ve been experiencing what I think is port congestion using my built in 1GB Ethernet ports on my motherboard (SuperMicro X10SLL-F) and thinking about trying 10G connected to one of the SFP ports on my Netgear ProSafe GS724T switch. Could use some recommendations for best cards supported by unRAID.

Edited by wgstarks
1 hour ago, wgstarks said:

Thanks. Looks like it’s going to need more hardware than I had hoped.

microtik makes 24 port switch with 2 sfp+ ports, fanless for about 139. https://www.amazon.com/Mikrotik-CSS326-24G-2S-RM-Gigabit-Ethernet/dp/B0723DT6MN/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1544809632&sr=8-7&keywords=microtik I think it's about the cheapest you can get that many ports plus sfp+ and still have it not sound like a jet engine.

I haven't used it, but have been heavily considering getting one to replace my quanta lb4m. If noise/power isn't an issue, you can get one of those off eBay for 40-60$. 

So either of those,  plus a Mellanox card, a few adjustments to your network settings, and you're in business!

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, wgstarks said:

P2P between 2 cards in the same machine?

I've done this for a vm that needed a faster connection to the array.

I've also done this with one card, a solar flare dual port. Split the ports between the vm and the server, then plugged  the two ports into each other. It worked pretty well, but I no longer do this out of simplicity.