How much power your servers using?

bally12345

This is something that has been bugging me a bit, so I thought I would check to see what others users power consumption looks like and see if whether I can improve anything.

I currently have supermicro system with 1200w redundant power supply. Total overkill for me but got a great deal on a refurb system on ebay.

Currently it looks I am using around 4.25(KW.h) a day according to the smart plug its connected to.

Would be interesting to see what others users are using who run their system 24/7

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• 5 weeks later...

I see your signature 😉 make sure that you have it enabled in the settings for your signature. You can turn them off and on there. 

Unraid OS Plus 6.6.6 MB: Asus P8Z77-V LX (microcode updated). CPU: Intel i5 3570k 3.4 Ghz (Ivy Bridge, 4 cores, no Hyper-Threading). RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz LP 4x4GB (CML16GX3M4A1600C9) = 16GB. PSU: Corsair TX650W. DRIVES: Parity: 1 x Seagate IronWolf ST4000VN008, 4TB. Data: 3 x Seagate Barracuda ST4000DM004, 4TB 1 x Seagate ST1000DM010, 1TB (unassigned, used as temporary storage). Cache: 2 x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 250GB (RAID1). FS: Cache: Encrypted btrfs. Array: Encrypted xfs. TOTAL STORAGE: 12 TB data, 250GB cache. NETWORK: LAN: 1 Gbps, WAN: 500/100 Mbps (fiber). Router: ASUS RT-AC68U (Asuswrt-Merlin). USED FOR: Dockers and storage. No VMs. POWER CONSUMPTION: 45 - 55w normal use, 98w max during parity check, 1.1 - 1.5 kWh daily.

tl;dr

Edited by Niklas
On 1/14/2019 at 11:46 AM, MisterWolfe said:

At idle my server draws 27 watts, or .65 kWh per day. When spun up I've seen it drawing a maximum of 65watts, or 1.65kWh per day.

That's pretty impressive!  I'm pulling ~200watts at idle.  But that's with 14 HDDs on an HP G8 server w/ dual x5660s and 96gb of RAM.  I don't have a smart plug so I can't tell daily usage, but my PDU never seems to spike above ~240w.

That's pretty impressive!  I'm pulling ~200watts at idle.  But that's with 14 HDDs on an HP G8 server w/ dual x5660s and 96gb of RAM.  I don't have a smart plug so I can't tell daily usage, but my PDU never seems to spike above ~240w.

But is that 200w per hour therefore 4.8Kwh per day?

Dell Poweredge T630 | unRAID 6.6.6 - Pro 

2x E5-2640 V4 | 128GB DDR4 ECC REG 

PERC H330 12Gbit SAS (HBA Mode) | 18x Hotplug disks with 12Gbit SAS expander Backplane

Cache 1920 GB RAID1 | 4x Samsung PM963 960GB NVMe

CPU's are on power save profile, this does lower performance but 2x 10 Core Xeon has more than I need anyway and running on lower frequencies increases the perf/watt massively.

Allocation method: Most Free

Set all disks to 15 min spindown except the last drive in the system (if more than 1 disk is empty exclude that for share) that has no spindown and gets all new data. this keeps the disk with all recent stuff online so only slow spinup's for older stuff.

image.thumb.png.789124aa9e2e5cb8c90efc78eadcf9cc.png

image.thumb.png.431d29987aca50d43c4dda5545436df8.png

image.thumb.png.52f5ae90bb2845becfbae3e455d27396.png

Edited by LammeN3rd
  • Like 1

Thanks for sharing, I had CPU Scaling Governor: On Demand. I have changed it to power save so will monitor it.

I have 12 cores 24 threads but recently Plex has been struggling with 3 streams. So might need to keep an eye on this.

Also set disks to spin down after 15mins

• 2 weeks later...

What can you guys recommend me to measure the power of my server?

An app for unraid, hardware device to measure. I like to get deep with details too. But for now jist to have an idea. If I get a simple APC UPS would I be able to achieve this?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

48 minutes ago, gacpac said:

What can you guys recommend me to measure the power of my server?

An app for unraid, hardware device to measure. I like to get deep with details too. But for now jist to have an idea. If I get a simple APC UPS would I be able to achieve this?

The easiest way is probably just to get an UPS that can return load and such. For my server I am just using a cheap Eaton 3S 550VA/300W, it isn't super powerful, but it is plenty to have my server running for almost 15 minutes, and then give my server to do a clean shutdown.

The easiest way is probably just to get an UPS that can return load and such. For my server I am just using a cheap Eaton 3S 550VA/300W, it isn't super powerful, but it is plenty to have my server running for almost 15 minutes, and then give my server to do a clean shutdown.
And how do you monitor the usage. I mean, does the unraid GUI give you estimated usage or the UPS has something that tells you?

1 minute ago, gacpac said:

And how do you monitor the usage. I mean, does the unraid GUI give you estimated usage or the UPS has something that tells you?

The GUI tells you load in percentage, from that you can calculate watt, based on what the UPS is rated for.

My config:

ASUS Crosshair Hero VI

AMD Ryzen 1700

Sapphire Radeon 7950 (used for VMs)

Corsair HX850 PSU

32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V

4x4TB HDD

250 GB SSD

Passthrough for macOS/Windows10 VM:

250GB M.2

5port USB PCIE

Wifi+BT PCIE

Passthrough for pfsense:

Intel Quad NIC PCIE

Got an smart plug yesterday. Right now it tells me power consumption is about 78watt, HDDs spun down, pfsense VM and dockers running, no MacOS of Windows VM running, CPU usage around 2-4%. Is it too much or does it sound about right?

Currently all cores/threads are used by unraid, because when I had isolcpus=4-15 (for my vms) set, the power consumption was 90-100, even though no VM was running, doesn’t make sense for me.

Edited by lixe