So many Plex Container - which should i use?

Danny08

Hi, just a quick question.

are all the available plex containers the same?

im a little bit confused which i should use, right now i've the binhex version but it seems like there is an version from limetech or plex itself.

and why is the binhex version splitted up? right now im trying plex and so i have to switch between paid/nonpaid and i dont want to lay down on one specific version.

12 minutes ago, BRiT said:

Given the latest update of Plex combined with the direction the Plex Team is taking it, I'm surprised anyone still uses Plex.

just started using it a week ago.

whats the problem? tell me, so i can switch to something else before it gets worse.

btw, is there any alternative?

I've wondered the difference as well. I use the official plex docker. No significant issues. There was one bug a few months ago where I couldn't see a tv library. It was fixed within a few weeks. Slow to resolve yes, but didn't really impact me. I probably could have just rolled back.

There are alternatives like Emby, MythTV, and Kodi*. I set them all up with no prior knowledge or opinions , and for me Plex was a hands down front runner. I purchased a lifetime plex pass primarily for the guide info and the built-in commercial cutting. Which would otherwise be a recurring cost, defeating the purpose of cutting the cord. 

For the remote viewers, plex provides free ssl magic so connections are encrypted without the end-user having to do anything. I use VPN instead, but it's a good feature for most.

Plex support is pretty slow, or nearly non-existant for some. I never need support. It just works the vast majority of the time. I think end-user knowledge and choice of hardware are the source of most complaints. The support model is basically the same as unRAID. They depend on the community to help each other.

I don't really get all the plex hate. Don't like it, use a different product. 

Edited by WashingtonMatt
2 hours ago, BRiT said:

Too many things wrong with Plex to fully summarize here, so heres some of the existing threads on Plex forums:

https://forums.plex.tv/t/i-think-im-done-now/315592

https://forums.plex.tv/t/roku-update/342450

TLDR hitlust: 50 Clicks to Nowhere, Forced Content Focus, Lack of Control over Own Media, Ignoring Input from LifeTime Consumers to Push Corporate Agendas, No Support

50 clicks to nowhere is a good description of the plex ui. I don't understand how it's possible to design something like that. They might get paid by the amount of clicks?