Pre-Sales Questions

Hello,

1) Where can I view plugins that are currently available in Community Applications?

2) Are these plugins reviewed in anyway by Lime-Tech?

3) Are there any anti-malware plugins?

4) What flavor of *NIX is this based on?  (If there are no anti-malware plugins, I'd like to just install my own using the default package manager.)

5) If the OS drive bites the dust, is the disk configuration lost? (I'm considering buying a mini-ITX computer with four storage drives and a single mini-PCIe SDD, so no redundancy for the OS)

5) Where can I view hardware compatiblity information? (Want to run it on a ASUS Q87T motherboard)

52 minutes ago, WhackyHack said:

No

4) What flavor of *NIX is this based on?  (If there are no anti-malware plugins, I'd like to just install my own using the default package manager.)

Slackware.  Don't believe it has a package manager.

5) If the OS drive bites the dust, is the disk configuration lost? (I'm considering buying a mini-ITX computer with four storage drives and a single mini-PCIe SDD, so no redundancy for the OS)

The OS drive is a flash drive that is the key to the license.  The OS is loaded from the flash drive into RAM and run from there so the reads and writes to the flash drive are kept to a minimum to make them last longer and allow the fastest access possible since it is RAM based not drive based once it is up and running.

5) Where can I view hardware compatiblity information? (Want to run it on a ASUS Q87T motherboard)

The hardware compatibility is here: https://wiki.unraid.net/Hardware_Compatibility but not sure how up to date it is.  I would not expect any problems as it runs on most anything as far as I know.  The rest I will leave to others with better knowledge to answer.

Edited by BobPhoenix
  1. I'm not sure where you can get that list without installing Community Applications, but each plugin has its own support thread in the Plugin Support subforum. Note that plugins are mostly just extensions of the webUI. Other applications you can run on your Unraid server are implemented as dockers. The docker support threads are in the Docker Containers subforum. There are literally hundreds of application available as dockers.
  2. No that is mostly left to the community.
  3. Not as such. There is a file integrity plugin that lets you make checksums of your files.
  4. Unraid is based on slackware. There isn't really a package manager and many slackware packages might not run on Unraid without installing other packages since Unraid isn't really intended to be a full linux environment.
  5. The OS is booted fresh from archives on the flash drive into RAMfs at each boot and it runs in RAM. There is no way to install Unraid to a disk or SSD. Your configuration is also stored on flash so it can be loaded at boot, and any changes you make are written to flash to be re-applied at boot. There are several easy ways to make backups of the boot flash.
  6. There really isn't an up-to-date list kept but most builds that can run linux should work fine. There are subforums here where people discuss their builds and many people have lists in their signatures of their system components.
2 hours ago, WhackyHack said:

1) Where can I view plugins that are currently available in Community Applications?

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/36282-all-unraid-application-template-repositories-support-threads/

But this is also a "raw" list and doesn't include the moderation made by the Apps tab (ie: OS version compatibility, any additional notes / comments CA adds to the app, etc), nor does it take into consideration any blacklisting of Apps due to licencing issues, non-functional, effective duplicate, etc.

Edited by Squid
1 hour ago, WhackyHack said:

Reviewed by the community.  BUT, all applications present within Apps are either Open Source (therefore reviewed by many users across the spectrum of OS systems) or are Closed Source but from trusted sources (ie: Crashplan, Plex, etc).  No Closed source application that is not from a trusted source will be accepted for inclusion to Apps.

37 minutes ago, Squid said:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/36282-all-unraid-application-template-repositories-support-threads/

But this is also a "raw" list and doesn't include the moderation made by the Apps tab (ie: OS version compatibility, any additional notes / comments CA adds to the app, etc), nor does it take into consideration any blacklisting of Apps due to licencing issues, non-functional, effective duplicate, etc.

Oh yeah, that one. Since he asked about plugins I just looked in the Plugins subforum and didn't see anything pinned there. Then of course I went ahead and told him about dockers anyway without looking in that subforum for the real answer.

6 minutes ago, trurl said:

Since he asked about plugins

I've been assuming lately that most people don't distinguish between a docker app / plugin app.  Figured that he used plugin mistakenly.  Mostly my fault I guess since I've been banging it into everyone's head since CA was introduced that they are all "apps", and simply different delivery methods.  (If the VM template screens were coded differently, then CA would also include VM Appliances)

Oh, and that list does actually include plugins.

Edited by Squid