HELP - Running Trial version, bought key, stopped array, now nothing

Matt k

ok, tried to put in "root" as user name.  Then just hit enter when it asked for password.  That didn't work.

Then I followed the direction you provided and deleted "passwd" "shadow" and "smbpasswrd"

Plugged the flash back into the server and booted up.  It again asked me for user name, I typed in "root", then left PW black and clicked enter.  This is what it looks like:

IMG_2196.JPG

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That looks completely normal. But I assume you haven't been managing your server from the command line (nobody does or should). You bring up the Unraid webUI on another browser on your network. As I said

1 hour ago, trurl said:

access the Unraid webUI (which will be a better way to see how well things are working)

Now I need to upgrade my cache drive and add another 8TB drive to my array. 

Is this the proper way to do so?  Will I need to do any manual set-up of the new cache, or will it be plug and play if I follow there directions?  My plan is to remove the old cache drive and ply the new one into the same cable.

https://wiki.unraid.net/Replace_A_Cache_Drive

Also, when the system is powered down, can I just add the new 8TB drive?

Thanks

Ok, I followed the directions I found here:

https://wiki.unraid.net/Replace_A_Cache_Drive

I have a question on #5:

5. When the Mover finishes, check that your Cache drive is empty. Any files in the root will not be moved as they are not part of any share. You can ignore any empty folders and Recycle Bin folders, and temporary and trash files, but if there is anything else that you want saved, now is the time! Copy it to a safe place, such as on an array drive.

When I checked my cache drive after running Mover, there was one file left on the drive: System (there is no mention of this in the instructions)

Inside that folder are two files:

Docker and inside of that is Docker.img

And

Libvert and inside of that is Libvert.img

What are these for and do I need them?

Can I change out my cache drive even though those two files still remain or will I have to copy them over somewhere and load them on the new Cache drive?

28 minutes ago, Matt k said:

When I checked my cache drive after running Mover, there was one file left on the drive: System (there is no mention of this in the instructions)

Inside that folder are two files:

Docker and inside of that is Docker.img

And

Libvert and inside of that is Libvert.img

Settings, Docker, enable docker, no.

Settings, VM Manager, enable VM's, no.

Ensure the system share is set to cache yes, and run the mover again.

12 minutes ago, trurl said:

OK well that doesn't really tell us anything since all of the disks are in /mnt/user.

Do you actually run any VMs?

From the command line, what do you get with these?

ls -lah /mnt/cache/system

ls -lah /mnt/disk1/system

ls -lah /mnt/disk11/system

I do not run any VMS.

Do I type each one of those in on the command line directly on the server or where do I do this?  Are you looking for the reaction to me typing these into the command line?

1 hour ago, jonathanm said:

Since the files exist on the cache, and that is what is parsed first for /mnt/user, the other 2 system folders on disk1 and disk11 should be safe to delete.

I want to be sure I clearly understand.  

I am changing the cache drive.  So it is OK for me to take it out now even though there is the System file on it?

When I put the new Cache drive in, do I need to manually copy the System file back over or will mover do it for me?

Thanks

43 minutes ago, Matt k said:

I want to be sure I clearly understand.  

I am changing the cache drive.  So it is OK for me to take it out now even though there is the System file on it?

When I put the new Cache drive in, do I need to manually copy the System file back over or will mover do it for me?

Thanks

No. The files on the cache drive are the ones in use by unraid. You need to delete the copies that exist on disk1 and disk11, run the mover to move the current copies OFF of the cache drive to the array. Then the cache drive should be empty, and when you put the new cache drive in and format it, you can set the appdata and system shares back to cache prefer and run the mover.

Ok, installed new SSD to be used for cache as well as a new 8TB drive to add to array.

I formatted the new Cache SSD and that went very quickly.

The new 8TB drive is being cleared, then I assume it will be added to the array.

Can I run Mover and restart Dockers while the new 8TB drive is being cleared and has not yet mounted?