Slow Parity Checks - USB Drives?

I currently have ten 8TB USB hard drives and two 8TB USB parity drives. My monthly parity scan takes about 9 days to complete. As the parity checks are doing it's thing, the server is about worthless, as I can't stream anything without buffering, due to the slow drives that are in use. I currently use several Anker 4 port USB 3.0 hubs, that connect to my 3.0 USB ports on my motherboard. I have a AMD 8350 8 core processor. I'd prefer not to remove the hard drives from their plastic cases to expose the sata ports. Is there anything I can do to fix the extremely slow parity checks and slow downs? Is there a better USB hub?

Root port means a port or group port won't share the bandwidth with other.

For example, all port in a hub will share same bandwidth.

You need test which port won't share the bandwidth with other, then only connect 2 or 3 device.

What is current parity check speed ? How much device connect in a port, I mean the one which connect most device, no matter in single or cacsde hub.

If need 9 days, speed seems around 10MB. Ple ensure no any USB 2.0 device and hub in it.

If a root port for 10 device, then each would got ~30MB, once all access in same time.

Edited by Benson
  • Like 1

BTW, while USB connected array drives will work, it's not recommended. The reasons are many, poor error handling on the USB bus, SMART status can be problematic, drive ventilation issues can lead to premature drive failure, the list goes on.

Please make sure you have backups to different media not connected to your server, as recovery from a failed drive may be difficult.

As a general rule, backups are always important, typically data loss is caused by factors not involving drive failure, but when you add the unreliability of USB connections into the mix, backups become even more important.