[Support] Djoss - Nginx Proxy Manager

Djoss

22 hours ago, Skipdog said:

Sorry for noob question-

Just deployed this docker.  Using BR0 with static IP address and i'm able to hit the website.  Trying to use the default login/password I get the no relevant user found.  What could I be doing wrong? I've tried to deploy container twice. 

Skip

Did you try to remove/clear the appdata folder (/mnt/user/appdata/NginxProxyManager)?

22 hours ago, Squiggley said:

oh errrrrrr at a guess 30ish..... is there a reason to constrain it to be low?

thanks!

The main target of this project is people with very low knowledge about nginx.  It allow to easily reverse proxy their services with subdomain names.

So reverse proxy with subfolders is not something that was initially part of the project's goals.

6 hours ago, eds said:

Is it true that for this to work your dockers must be in bridge mode and that, like for nextcloud, you cannot use your own ip?

The fact that this container runs in bridge mode doesn't not prevent your to use other containers with different network mode.

The scenario where you can have some limitations is when you run this container in another mode than bridge.

1 hour ago, Djoss said:

Did you try to remove/clear the appdata folder (/mnt/user/appdata/NginxProxyManager)?

Thank you!  I think the botched install the first time did not include the user/password configuration.  Removing the directory fully and installing again fixed the issue.  Many thanks!

Skip

2 hours ago, Djoss said:

The fact that this container runs in bridge mode doesn't not prevent your to use other containers with different network mode.

The scenario where you can have some limitations is when you run this container in another mode than bridge.

Thanks for the feedback Djoss. 

Can you help with an issue I have, because I cannot figure out where the problem is?

I have nextcloud and onlyoffice running and configured using Ngnix Proxy Manager using my own domain name.  They appear to be running fine remotely.  But nextcloud cannot access the onlyoffice docker using cURL.  I get cURL6 could not resolve the host. 

I am not sure why.  How should this be configured?  Are there setting that need to be added to the advanced page on Nginx Proxy Manager?

Thank you Djoss for the project - it is really nice.

So i'm trying to place the docker on the host network, but i'm running into an issue where the Tautulli docker is already on 8181.  Is there a way to force Nginx Proxy Manager to use an alternate container port?  It doesn't seem like there is unless i'm totally missing it during the installation.  Clicking edit on the various lines shows it seems to be hard coded 8181.

Skip

Hi, this seems like a really cool project.

I currently run nginx with a handcrafted configuration and custom ssl certs.

I will be trying to replace my custom config with yours.

One thing I would like to ask you to add is hosting a simple static site using nginx?

E.g. I have a static page that has links to all the services in my home, my wife has a bookmark to it, and she uses it whenever she needs access something I host.

In my config the default site, and an explicit host, points to a directory, and I manually edit the content as needed.

If you can add such a feature, I would not have to run a second nginx instance.

Hi, 

I'm trying to set this up for the first time, and I run all of my Docker containers in Unraid with the 'Custom' network setting selected so that I can map an individual IP to the container in my network.

I also tried to set the Web UI Port, HTTP Port and HTTPS Port options in the Unraid Docker app config to the standard ports (8181, 80 and 443 - attached in the picture below) which appear to be setting environmental variables in the docker command, but it seems the container starts and defaults to the standard ports of 8181, 8080 and 4443 and ignores the environmental variables set to change the application ports in the container.

Has this feature been changed? I can't seem to get it to work :(

Thanks.

Screenshot 2019-05-05 at 17.40.32.png

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, joelyuk said:

I also tried to set the Web UI Port, HTTP Port and HTTPS Port options in the Unraid Docker app config to the standard ports (8181, 80 and 443 - attached in the picture below) which appear to be setting environmental variables in the docker command, but it seems the container starts and defaults to the standard ports of 8181, 8080 and 4443 and ignores the environmental variables set to change the application ports in the container.

I have been trying to do this for over 3 days but nothing seems to work, even tried manually editing files in the config but it wont work on ports 80 & 443, changing the docker variables does nothing.

I just finished moving from the letsencrypt docker to this docker great and amazing work. 

I by no means am a network guy but after a couple of tries (with my pfsense and opening the ports)  i was able to get up and running in no time .... as other stated make sure the docker containers you are trying to access are in bridge mode, i was using the custom proxynet interface since i followed the spaceinvader one videos. 

The main reason i moved to this is to get access to a VM that is running hassio for home automation, i also always got some errors on the unifi controller with the certificate on the letsencrypt docker and with this docker i didn't get any type of errors . 

I am using my own domain with cnames for the different docker containers. 

Great job on this docker OP very recomended for the ease of usage vs the letsencrypt docker. 

However i am struggling with the last part of my setup i want to be able to redirect the Unraid UI to a cname i just don't know how to do it since it uses ports 80 or 443. Anyone was able to pull this through ?

On 5/3/2019 at 9:27 AM, Skipdog said:

Thank you Djoss for the project - it is really nice.

So i'm trying to place the docker on the host network, but i'm running into an issue where the Tautulli docker is already on 8181.  Is there a way to force Nginx Proxy Manager to use an alternate container port?  It doesn't seem like there is unless i'm totally missing it during the installation.  Clicking edit on the various lines shows it seems to be hard coded 8181.

Skip

If you want to change port, you need to use the "Bridge" network mode.

On 5/3/2019 at 7:32 PM, ptr727 said:

Hi, this seems like a really cool project.

I currently run nginx with a handcrafted configuration and custom ssl certs.

I will be trying to replace my custom config with yours.

One thing I would like to ask you to add is hosting a simple static site using nginx?

E.g. I have a static page that has links to all the services in my home, my wife has a bookmark to it, and she uses it whenever she needs access something I host.

In my config the default site, and an explicit host, points to a directory, and I manually edit the content as needed.

If you can add such a feature, I would not have to run a second nginx instance.

This feature has been already requested for the project (https://github.com/jc21/nginx-proxy-manager/issues/58).

• Like 1
16 hours ago, joelyuk said:

Hi, 

I'm trying to set this up for the first time, and I run all of my Docker containers in Unraid with the 'Custom' network setting selected so that I can map an individual IP to the container in my network.

Has this feature been changed? I can't seem to get it to work :(

Thanks.

Screenshot 2019-05-05 at 17.40.32.png

If you want to change the ports, you need to use the "Bridge" network mode.  The port mapping between the host and the container only works/applies to this network mode.

13 hours ago, PSYCHOPATHiO said:

I have been trying to do this for over 3 days but nothing seems to work, even tried manually editing files in the config but it wont work on ports 80 & 443, changing the docker variables does nothing.

Try to keep the "Bridge" network mode.

12 hours ago, shremi said:

I just finished moving from the letsencrypt docker to this docker great and amazing work. 

I by no means am a network guy but after a couple of tries (with my pfsense and opening the ports)  i was able to get up and running in no time .... as other stated make sure the docker containers you are trying to access are in bridge mode, i was using the custom proxynet interface since i followed the spaceinvader one videos. 

The main reason i moved to this is to get access to a VM that is running hassio for home automation, i also always got some errors on the unifi controller with the certificate on the letsencrypt docker and with this docker i didn't get any type of errors . 

I am using my own domain with cnames for the different docker containers. 

Great job on this docker OP very recomended for the ease of usage vs the letsencrypt docker. 

However i am struggling with the last part of my setup i want to be able to redirect the Unraid UI to a cname i just don't know how to do it since it uses ports 80 or 443. Anyone was able to pull this through ?

What did you try? You normally have to add a new proxy host and forward to the IP of unRAID.  It should not be an issue if unRAID runs on port 80.

On 5/3/2019 at 8:40 AM, eds said:

Thanks for the feedback Djoss. 

Can you help with an issue I have, because I cannot figure out where the problem is?

I have nextcloud and onlyoffice running and configured using Ngnix Proxy Manager using my own domain name.  They appear to be running fine remotely.  But nextcloud cannot access the onlyoffice docker using cURL.  I get cURL6 could not resolve the host

I am not sure why.  How should this be configured?  Are there setting that need to be added to the advanced page on Nginx Proxy Manager?

Are you able to manually resolve the host from unRAID?  From the container?

1 hour ago, Djoss said:

Try to keep the "Bridge" network mode.

That worked in a way, but I ended up getting Bad Gateway errors on more than half the hosts with limited internal & external access only to some of the hosts on port 443 for some reason.I tried changing the NAT type (pure or proxy & messed with NAT reflection) but that didnt help (I'm using a physical pfsense.)

To bridge the docker I had to remove my unraid from port 443 & change lots of things on the network, its not worth the change, I will keep NPM pointing at 8080 & 4443 as I have already configured everything to work correctly.

47 minutes ago, PSYCHOPATHiO said:

That worked in a way, but I ended up getting Bad Gateway errors on more than half the hosts with limited internal & external access only to some of the hosts on port 443 for some reason.I tried changing the NAT type (pure or proxy & messed with NAT reflection) but that didnt help (I'm using a physical pfsense.)

To bridge the docker I had to remove my unraid from port 443 & change lots of things on the network, its not worth the change, I will keep NPM pointing at 8080 & 4443 as I have already configured everything to work correctly.

If you use container's default settings, you just need to change forwarding setting on your router.  By default, the container is not using ports 443 and 80, so you should not have any conflict with unRAID.

1 hour ago, Djoss said:

If you use container's default settings, you just need to change forwarding setting on your router.  By default, the container is not using ports 443 and 80, so you should not have any conflict with unRAID.

i have multiple Vlans setup through pfSense & L2 Switch:

LAN 10.0.0.0/24 Network

SLAN  10.0.1.0/24 Servers & Dockers Network (Services Network)

VPLAN1 10.0.3.0/24 VPN Network 1 (pfsense has already got an openvpn connection setup for remote network access, this is for email relay & other network requirements)

Unraid can be accessed on 10.0.0.4, 10.0.1.4, 10.0.3,4  port 443

NPM docker wont start on ports 443 & 80 as it conflicts with unraid when bridged, unless I missing something. When I moved unraid to a different port & set NPM to 443 & 80 it started them came the forwarding & bad gateways, I could probably make it work but I'd rather not have to mess up my DNS & network to make it work.

The issue is pfsense forwarding internal dns request to NPM is I think on port 443 & 80 only so whenever I have e.g plex.xxx.com ip 10.0.0.10:32400 pointed to NPM it just displays a blank page.

EDIT: I need NPM to listen to 443, 80 on its designated IP on its VLAN

Edited by PSYCHOPATHiO
6 hours ago, Djoss said:

Are you able to manually resolve the host from unRAID?  From the container?

With respect to the nextcloud container - From Unraid to nextcloud: yes.  From the nextcloud container to any subdomain on the proxy manager: no. 

10 hours ago, Djoss said:

What did you try? You normally have to add a new proxy host and forward to the IP of unRAID.  It should not be an issue if unRAID runs on port 80.

It was my b i am using https SSL to access unraid dont know why it didn't worked yesterday but i was able to do it today using https and port 443.

So know i am going all out with this docker just finished setting up organizr to the way i like but it seems i cant do te reverse proxy to access it . again i am using a cname redirected to the organizr container but it doesnt seem to work . is there anything special we need to configure to make organizr to work with this?

Scratch that i had a fckn misspell on the cname lol i am able to get too through now my tabs dont open i think i need too do more digging on why is this happening. 

Edited by shremi
Solved half of the problem
10 hours ago, Djoss said:

If you want to change port, you need to use the "Bridge" network mode.

If I change to Bridge mode, the docker won't be able to proxy for my "host" dockers correct?  That is what I am trying to deal with is connectivity.  I've got SONARR/RADARR/SAB in host network mode.  When I ran in bridge I could no longer connect.  Would the solution be to run everything in bridge?

11 hours ago, Djoss said:

If you want to change the ports, you need to use the "Bridge" network mode.  The port mapping between the host and the container only works/applies to this network mode.

Ok, thanks for the reply to confirm.

I really don't want to run containers in "Bridge" mode, so I just ended up installing the original nginx proxy manager container from jc21 on Docker Hub and configured myself manually in Unraid - I was going to create a new wrapper container similar to this one for those Unraid'ers who wanted to keep the ports as 80 and 443, but to be honest its simple enough to do without the overheads of another wrapper container and just requires a MariaDB container to run the database aspect.

Thanks again though :) 

11 hours ago, PSYCHOPATHiO said:

NPM docker wont start on ports 443 & 80 as it conflicts with unraid when bridged, unless I missing something.

I don't have a clear understanding of your network setup, so maybe I miss something, but in theory NPM doesn't need to be mapped to ports 80 and 443.  In my setup, all my containers are running in bridge mode (not to be confused with the "Custom: br0" mode), including NPM, which uses ports 1880 and 18443 (default settings).  NPM can reverse proxy my services without issue, from both my LAN and the Internet.

9 hours ago, eds said:

With respect to the nextcloud container - From Unraid to nextcloud: yes.  From the nextcloud container to any subdomain on the proxy manager: no. 

So your nextcloud container seems to be the problem.  Can it resolve other DNS names (like www.google.com)?