plex/handbrake hw transcoding

repomanz

Hi folks - new to unraid and have a couple questions.

I have an Intel 6700k and an older Nnvidia gtx 660 in my unraid build (6.6.6).  i would like to leverage quick sync (for intel cpu) and gpu from the graphics card to do transcoding with plex / handbrake.    

Questions:

1) i believe i have have the graphics disabled in bios currently (for intel cpu).  If I enable this in the bios and unraid will load the i915 (i think that's right) driver for me automatically?

2) Is there a graphics driver loaded for my nvidia gtx 660?
3) is there any further configurations i need to do to leverage the hardware here?
4) How do i recover in the event during enabling the video within bios that unraid no longer loads?  

thanks!

Jon

4 hours ago, repomanz said:

1) i believe i have have the graphics disabled in bios currently (for intel cpu).  If I enable this in the bios and unraid will load the i915 (i think that's right) driver for me automatically?

There are several steps required to enable QSV encoding with the iGPU.  There are many posts in these forums with complete instructions for doing this.

After setting the iGPU as the Primary Graphics Adapter in your BIOS, for Plex you need to:

1 - modify the go file to load i915 drivers on reboot

2- modify the Plex docker config

3- enable HW transcoding in Plex (requires a Plex Pass)

2) Is there a graphics driver loaded for my nvidia gtx 660?

There are no nvidia drivers in unRAID.  If you want to use a discrete GPU for transcoding, you will have to pass it through to a Windows VM in unRAID

3) is there any further configurations i need to do to leverage the hardware here?

Yes, see answer to #1

4) How do i recover in the event during enabling the video within bios that unraid no longer loads? 

I don't think you need to worry about this.  If something happens, come back to the forums with specifics and someone will help you sort it out.  Simply enabling onboard graphics should in no way prevent unRAID from loading unless you mess up something else in the BIOS.

Edited by Hoopster