Kernel Panic after key registration

Hi there

After 1 month testing and configuration now the unhappy end and frustration. Purchased key and did the registration in Gui. Told to make a reboot and now get kernel panic. No idea what's the problem now...

My server is a ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 with 16GB ECC RAM and 4 SATA HD's.

Can anyone help me please?

screenshot_89.thumb.png.8aa9a1d29803921c177ddb86c5f55a7c.png

Edited by cracksilver
add some words

Hi Johnnie

.... never had a problem with this USB stick. Restarted many times before. The key update has damaged the stick now!

Are you really serious you want me to format the stick? How do I get the config folder on the stick? it's on an unassinged hd. Server is not here...

Are there any other solutions?

i'm just wondering if it's a good idea to run a server operating system on a USB stick....

it runs again. drove to the server place and did it with my laptop. 

The big question is why could this happen? The stick was read- and writeable in my macbook as normal. Ok it's not the golden stick but it should work.

Is it better to change the stick with another one? Which one is recommended?

thanks for help

cracksilver

• 2 weeks later...

I could see when the position with the USB stick was gone for a few seconds and then came back again.

At the moment memory test is running. The new stick I've ordered. It will be here tommorow.

Then I would like to set up unRAID completely new, but restore the array. Is there any importance I should know?

18 minutes ago, cracksilver said:

I could see when the position with the USB stick was gone for a few seconds and then came back again.

At the moment memory test is running. The new stick I've ordered. It will be here tommorow.

Often when it loses connection to the flash drive then when it is able to connect again it appears as an Unassigned Device, since it doesn't try to remount the boot device. Is this what it was doing?

20 minutes ago, cracksilver said:

I would like to set up unRAID completely new, but restore the array. Is there any importance I should know?

What are you trying to accomplish by setting up "completely new"?

The Unraid OS is contained in archives on flash. These are the same exact archives as you have on a new install. Those archives are unpacked fresh at each boot into RAM, and the OS runs completely in RAM. So in a way, just booting is a new install of the OS.

After booting, any settings you have made, which are stored on flash, are applied. Is it these settings you want returned to default? Or just some of them? For example, do you want to keep your disk assignments as they are?

Of course, your data isn't on flash, and maybe you want to keep your data. But some data you might not want to keep if you intend to setup "completely new". For example, if you have any dockers, the templates (container settings like mappings) are on flash, but the appdata for each container would be on one of your disks (perhaps cache) so if you wanted to start those over you would have to delete some data.

Etc.

Just depends on what exactly you mean by "completely new".

Here is a wiki link explaining what the files on flash are:

https://wiki.unraid.net/Upgrading_to_UnRAID_v6#Files_on_flash_drive

The focus of that wiki is on upgrading from a version before V6, but that section (and perhaps others) is relevant to your question.

Many of the files in the config folder are text, and you can examine them to see if you want to keep them, or read from a copy of them to use as a guide when setting up from scratch.

Thank you for your answer. 

Exactly, the Usb stick appears as an unassigned drive in between and then comes back again. a very bad sign in my opinion.

I have tried and changed a lot in the last few weeks since I started using unraid and finally discarded it again. All this has probably left traces and contributes to the current behavior of the server. 

My goal is to install a completely new unRAID. As soon as my new stick is delivered. The only things that remain are my data and my shares.  So the disk array should be taken over. It runs otherwise only a resilio docker, which I can reinstall. I can also reinstall the CA app and so on.

2 hours ago, cracksilver said:

All this has probably left traces and contributes to the current behavior of the server. 

I doubt anything to do with the OS and whatever traces you think there may be is contributing to this behavior. As I said, it is basically a new install each time you boot.

This is almost certainly a hardware problem. Probably the flash or the port it is using.

• 5 weeks later...

As you've discovered the problem was with the USB stick all along. The internal USB socket is the best one to use. It's USB 2 and it's designed for what you're doing. I have a Gen8 too. Just to put aside any fears, Unraid runs from RAM with only occasional writes to the USB stick - configuration changes, mostly. So if you use a decent, branded device it should last many years. The ones given away as promos are not, generally speaking, quality items.

yes that's true. Today actually I just wanted to add another disk so I had to power down. Wanted to start again (with the old USB-Stick) and the problem was the same, after 3 or 4 weeks running without any problem. 

No I have a Transcend JetFlash 600 4GB Stick. I hope this is the better choice ;-)

The Gen8 is a nice Server without any issues. I like the small form factor and ILO. Tommorrow I'll install a Host Bus Adapter SAS 9207-4i4e. It gives me connection to another few drives in a extern case and internal connection for a 2.5" in the CD-Rom cage.