[solved] Freezing during parity check

I'll start with current specs

fx8350

asrock 990fx extreme 9

16gb ddr3 1600 ram

6 8tb wd red nas drives

2 60gb drevo ssd

1000w evga gold psu

I cannot get unraid to work. What i mean by that is I start the array, it starts a parity check, and then it freezes at random percentages. I have precleared all disks like 3 times now between each attempt which takes me like 3 days to do. I have tried adding one parity drive and one data drive and it freezes. I have tried a different data drive and parity drive. it freezes. I have blown through half of my trial and havent even stored one thing on my server yet.

Every smart test i run on the drives pass

every time ive ran preclear they have passed with a clean bill of health

I have tried different drives with the same outcome

I am so frustrated I am about to give up on the whole thing. Please help. what do you need from me?

Edited by y0ureAtowel
changed title

You should have asked for help long before now. Please forget about doing any more preclears. The first ones you did have tested the disks plenty and preclearing isn't necessary for getting an array going anyway.

Just assign your drives, start a parity build, then go to Tools - Diagnostics and attach the complete diagnostics zip to your next post.

That will allow us to see if there is anything obvious. If that doesn't turn up anything we may have additional logging for you to do.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, trurl said:

You should have asked for help long before now. Please forget about doing any more preclears. The first ones you did have tested the disks plenty and preclearing isn't necessary for getting an array going anyway.

Just assign your drives, start a parity build, then Go to Tools - Diagnostics and attach the complete diagnostics zip to your next post.

That will allow us to see if there is anything obvious. If that doesn't turn up anything we may have additional logging for you to do.

hey thank you so much for the quick response! here is my zip

tower-diagnostics-20181220-1439.zip

5 minutes ago, trurl said:

At least a full pass. Overnight would be better.

mate. is it possible to hug you over the internet. Because within like 15 mins i started failing memtest all over the place. I suspect it was my xmp profile so i have since disabled it and am running memtest again. So far no fails. but ill continue to run it overnight. god why didn't i think of this.

49 minutes ago, y0ureAtowel said:

mate. is it possible to hug you over the internet. Because within like 15 mins i started failing memtest all over the place. I suspect it was my xmp profile so i have since disabled it and am running memtest again. So far no fails. but ill continue to run it overnight. god why didn't i think of this.

RAM can die of old age / temperature cycling etc.  I have had it happen in my server and also in my main home PC.  In each case just one stick started to go consistently bad and it wasn't due to pushing the speed or voltage limits for example.  It just didn't work properly anymore.  I have also had RAM that just works pretty much forever, but you never know...   It's why some people choose to run with ECC RAM in their servers.  I don't right now since my motherboard doesn't support it, but next time I upgrade I may go in that direction.

1 hour ago, johnnie.black said:

You also have 2 SATA ports set to IDE, usually ports 5/6, change them to SATA/AHCI in the bios, IDE mode can cause many timeout issues with these AMD chipsets.

oh crap. ill change that once memtest is complete

edit. weird. everything in bios is set to ahci. nothing is set to ide at all.

Edited by y0ureAtowel
more information
7 hours ago, y0ureAtowel said:

edit. weird. everything in bios is set to ahci. nothing is set to ide at all.

You're likely missing something, it's just 2 ports, they are definitely set to IDE.

4 ports, likely 1 to 4, are set to AHCI

Dec 20 13:50:53 Tower kernel: ahci 0000:00:11.0: AHCI 0001.0200 32 slots 4 ports 6 Gbps 0xf impl SATA mode
00:11.0 SATA controller [0106]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 SATA Controller [AHCI mode] [1002:4391] (rev 40)
    Subsystem: ASRock Incorporation SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 SATA Controller [AHCI mode] [1849:4391]
    Kernel driver in use: ahci
    Kernel modules: ahci

and 2, likely 5 and 6, are set to IDE:

00:14.1 IDE interface [0101]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 IDE Controller [1002:439c] (rev 40)
    Subsystem: ASRock Incorporation SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 IDE Controller [1849:439c]
    Kernel driver in use: pata_atiixp
    Kernel modules: pata_atiixp

13 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

You're likely missing something, it's just 2 ports, they are definitely set to IDE.

4 ports, likely 1 to 4, are set to AHCI

Dec 20 13:50:53 Tower kernel: ahci 0000:00:11.0: AHCI 0001.0200 32 slots 4 ports 6 Gbps 0xf impl SATA mode

00:11.0 SATA controller [0106]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 SATA Controller [AHCI mode] [1002:4391] (rev 40)
    Subsystem: ASRock Incorporation SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 SATA Controller [AHCI mode] [1849:4391]
    Kernel driver in use: ahci
    Kernel modules: ahci

and 2, likely 5 and 6, are set to IDE:

00:14.1 IDE interface [0101]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 IDE Controller [1002:439c] (rev 40)
    Subsystem: ASRock Incorporation SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 IDE Controller [1849:439c]
    Kernel driver in use: pata_atiixp
    Kernel modules: pata_atiixp

so I found a setting called sata ide combined mode in bios. I turned it off and I think it fixed that issue. I think that was the missing setting.

a good note is after I changed my xmp profile on my ram, my ram passed for 10 runs. I then changed the ide sata setting. I can thankfully say that my parity has run a full check now with no hangup. thank you so much guys. I was pulling my hair out