Is there an access log?

driven

9 minutes ago, driven said:

Silly question:  How do I "uncheck" categories.  I don't seem to have checkboxes.  (See screenshot)

Capture.JPG

That doesn't match my system log display or the one bonienl posted. Do you have the Enhanced Log plugin installed maybe? I'm not sure that is being maintained anymore.

Is that screenshot from going to Tools - System Log or did you just click the Log at the top of the UI?

6 minutes ago, driven said:

Also interesting.  If I use tail to view /var/log/syslog, no mention of ANY logins show up.  Is there an option that I have to turn on? 

Unless you use the -n option, tail only goes back to the last 10 lines.

1 minute ago, trurl said:

That doesn't match my system log display or the one bonienl posted. Do you have the Enhanced Log plugin installed maybe? I'm not sure that is being maintained anymore.

Is that screenshot from going to Tools - System Log or did you just click the Log at the top of the UI?

Yes, but even if I copy it to a .txt file and read it with notepad, no mention of anything except the webgui logins.  Nothing about file access.

2 minutes ago, trurl said:

That was from the tools menu.  No log related plug-ins are installed.  (Just checked)  I'm on unraid 6.5.1

55 minutes ago, driven said:

No log related plug-ins are installed.  (Just checked)  I'm on unraid 6.5.1

That is a pretty old version. I don't know if it was different then or not. I still think there is some chance that all those additional buttons in your screenshot is from the plugin. If you want to post your diagnostics we could probably check to see if that plugin is installed.

2 hours ago, trurl said:

That is a pretty old version. I don't know if it was different then or not. I still think there is some chance that all those additional buttons in your screenshot is from the plugin. If you want to post your diagnostics we could probably check to see if that plugin is installed.

I'm glad you mentioned that. 

I hadn't realized I was out of date.  (It never showed up as an available update like it has in the past.)  I just updated to 6.6.  Quite different!!  (and the log viewer problem went away, so I'm good there)

I owe you my thanks.

Now I need to get back to trying to find a file access log.  I can't believe I'm the first one to look for something like this.

• 1 year later...

I realize this is a somewhat old thread, but I'm wondering if a file access log has been added since the last post was made here? I know Dynamix Active Streams can show the files that are currently being accessed, but I'm looking for something that will log when a user connected/disconnected from a Share, as well as which users credentials were used to access the share. Is there any way to display this information in the Syslog or a plugin that would log when a user accessed a share? Any help is greatly appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

Found this thread from searching for the same thing. It'd be super nice to be able to track when a user accesses a share. in troubleshooting another issue, I was trying to determine whether a firewall rule was working correctly or not, and wanted to track on both sides. This was for blocking smb. I know it's not working as I obviously can't access the share from the local machine, but wanted to see if there was an attempt at all on unraid.

21 hours ago, hamish_18 said:

Found this thread from searching for the same thing. It'd be super nice to be able to track when a user accesses a share. in troubleshooting another issue, I was trying to determine whether a firewall rule was working correctly or not, and wanted to track on both sides. This was for blocking smb. I know it's not working as I obviously can't access the share from the local machine, but wanted to see if there was an attempt at all on unraid.

I get that it's not in there for performance reasons, but you bring up an excellent use case. 

It would be great to be able to turn on an auditing feature for troubleshooting purposes.