Docker Service not working

Mikecdm

Hi, 

So i'm having issues with my docker service not working.  I think it's because it may be full.  I logged in to the webGui and had several notifications about the docker image filling up.  I've looked in /mnt/user/appdata/ and don't see anything about docker there.  When I look /mnt/disk1/system/docker there is a 21.5gb file.  Seems it's larger than what was supposed to be set.  This confirms to me that the file is too large.   I'm thinking that I might have things mapped incorrectly and likely I need to either delete and or move the docker.img somewhere else.  I'm not exactly sure which way to go about this. 

Under settings/ docker I've tried to enable docker but it still doesn't run. 

Thanks

tower-diagnostics-20181221-1836.zip

docker2.png

docker.png

appdata.png

Check the box to delete your docker image. You will have to recreate it and reinstall your dockers. See here:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/57181-real-docker-faq/#comment-564363

Also, see the Docker Image Filling Up section of the Docker FAQ:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/57181-real-docker-faq/

The usual cause of filling docker image is applications writing to paths that are not mapped to Unraid storage.

Well, that did the trick. Deleted the docker image, then enabled docker.  Everything is back to normal, now I just need to figure out why.  Is the docker img file always supposed to be max size?  With docker running, it's now located in the cache drive and still 21.5gb.   Does it look like I have things mapped correctly. 

I usually recommend setting it to 20G, even though I have never seen anyone need nearly that much if they have things configured correctly.

36 minutes ago, Mikecdm said:

Does it look like I have things mapped correctly. 

I have no idea what your mappings are. Do you understand docker volume mappings? Even if your mappings make sense you can have the actual application configured to write to a path that isn't mapped to a container volume. As I said

1 hour ago, trurl said:

The usual cause of filling docker image is applications writing to paths that are not mapped to Unraid storage.

You need to look at each of your applications and see where they are configured to write data, such as downloads. They must write to a path that is in a container volume.

Just noticed the broken links in that section of the Docker FAQ. I have fixed them. Maybe you can get some idea from looking at those. Or we can just try to work through what you have.

Do you have any dockers that download?

12 minutes ago, trurl said:

I usually recommend setting it to 20G, even though I have never seen anyone need nearly that much if they have things configured correctly.

I have no idea what your mappings are. Do you understand docker volume mappings? Even if your mappings make sense you can have the actual application configured to write to a path that isn't mapped to a container volume. As I said

You need to look at each of your applications and see where they are configured to write data, such as downloads. They must write to a path that is in a container volume.

Just noticed the broken links in that section of the Docker FAQ. I have fixed them. Maybe you can get some idea from looking at those. Or we can just try to work through what you have.

Do you have any dockers that download?

Off the top of my head, I don't really understand volume mappings.  When I set things up and followed a guide, I might have vaguely understood things.  I set everything up following spacedinvader's guides on youtube.  I've probably had unraid for around a year now and I don't really touch much.  Until today it had been running 51 days. 

As for dockers that download, I have sab/sonarr/radarr, but I assume sab does the downloading. 

Some ways to keep an eye on this.

On the Dashboard, in the System Status section at lower right, the line that says "flash log docker". The last number displayed there is showing how full your docker image is.

On the Docker page, at the bottom is a button labeled Container Size. Click it to see how much space each container is using.

Pay attention to these and see if they increase significantly, especially after downloading something.

Another thing. On the Settings - Docker page, move the slider at top right to Advanced View, then make sure you have Docker LOG rotation enabled.

While I was reading that docker faq, it said something about keeping the docker img on the cache drive.  If I'm reading this correctly and based on the picture above.  Since the docker img is not in root, but instead in system/docker/docker img.  then the mover will move it to a disk share?  Could that be why it was in a share when I first posted in this thread and then after deleting it, now it appears in the cache drive.  Likely tomorrow it will be back in the share? 

1 hour ago, Mikecdm said:

While I was reading that docker faq, it said something about keeping the docker img on the cache drive.  If I'm reading this correctly and based on the picture above.  Since the docker img is not in root, but instead in system/docker/docker img.  then the mover will move it to a disk share?  Could that be why it was in a share when I first posted in this thread and then after deleting it, now it appears in the cache drive.  Likely tomorrow it will be back in the share? 

Shares include any top level folders on the cache drive.  With your settings whether files end up on the cache drive depends on the settings for the ‘system’ share.   This is by default set to Use Cache=Prefer which means it’s contents end up on the Cache drive.

Edited by itimpi

And checking your diagnostics again:

your system share is cache-prefer

your cache disk had room, so when you recreated docker.img

it was put on cache and

it will stay there.

See the link below for details on why I spelled it all out like this.

9 hours ago, Mikecdm said:

There is one thing in this post that concerns me though. Do you actually have any disk shares? That is, are you sharing individual disks on the network? I highly recommend you don't do this.

system is one of your user shares. Each top level folder on cache or array is in a user share with the same name as the folder. Each user share has settings that control whether and how it uses cache. There are some details about this that may not be obvious. For future study there is this post in the FAQ:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/46802-faq-for-unraid-v6/?page=2#comment-537383

4 hours ago, Mikecdm said:

I'm pretty sure that I don't have disk shares.

It should be obvious to you whether or not you have disk shares. When you access files over the network, can you see the disks, or only the user shares? Also, in the webUI, if you go to the Shares page, is there anything in the Disk Shares section?