[SOLVED] [6.6.5] Did my disk just die?

Hi,

This morning, I woke up with a notification on my phone because a disk has gone into disabled state. I'm far from home (London) and only get back on Tuesday (The Netherlands) but when I downloaded diagnostics remotely, I found a bunch of write errors in a bunch of different sectors on Disk 1.

So my question: Did my disk die, has the cable gone bad (again), did my port go bad, or has something else gone wrong?

I had someone which is at the place of my server send me pictures from the outside and external cables and all that is fine.

Also note, I just found out about all the bruteforce attacks the server has been getting, but that is a thing for when I get back.

Kind regards,

Zandor Smith

oxygen-diagnostics-20181223-0943.zip

Edited by Zandor300

The server has been restarted and the disk isn't found by the bios. When going into the boot selection menu, the disk was not showing up. My parity was and my boot drive too.

This is what I got to see after Unraid started up:

image.thumb.png.15bf94d5e9e71a1eee52f058d639bbc8.png

This is a diagnostics file before starting the array.

oxygen-diagnostics-20181224-0945.zip

I will return tonight so I will check on the wiring tomorrow, swap some cables or connect it with a different port.

While I unplugged the parity drive (as I later found out I mixed up the drives), I might have accidentally nudged the Disk 1 SATA cable because after I started the machine, the drive showed up again in the boot menu. It is currently rebuilding Disk 1...

If the disk goes down again I will replace the SATA cable. The other available SATA 3 port is broken and only have a SATA II port left so if the SATA port doesn't have a reliable connection, it might be a good excuse to replace it along with the memory and CPU. I've read that the AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ isn't very power efficient and the board doesn't have Gigabit ethernet. It's running on a PCIe nic.

Edited by Zandor300
2 hours ago, trurl said:

Hope you didn't put a data drive in the parity slot.

I meant, physically, I thought the parity drive was my data drive but I found out even before booting into Unraid. Additionally, I always check serial numbers of the drives before changing array configurations.

Also, don’t know if you know this, but if anyone would swap around drives, physically, Unraid doesn’t care and still correctly mounts the drives.

Disk 1 has been rebuilt. Will change topic to solved for now.

Edited by Zandor300
3 hours ago, Zandor300 said:

Also, don’t know if you know this, but if anyone would swap around drives, physically, Unraid doesn’t care and still correctly mounts the drives.

I've certainly explained that to other users in numerous posts. Disk serial number is the only thing that matters.

I only use the word 'slot' when I am referring to Unraid assignments since that is the word Unraid uses in the syslog. I say 'port' (only occasionally) to refer to a connection and 'bay' (very seldom) to refer to a place in the case.