Slow Parity Rebuild

3 minutes ago, trurl said:

No need to put it back. johnnie seems to think your diagnostics indicated an empty disk though. I just looked at them myself and it does look like disk1 has little or no data on it.

While rebuilding, you should be able to look at the contents of the emulated disk. Just go to Main - Array Devices and click on the folder icon at far right on the line for the disk and it will allow you to see what is on the emulated disk. And the contents of the emulated disk is exactly what will be rebuilt on the new disk.

Weird. It says it is rebuilding it, but the folder to the right shows nothing in the folder. I have a backup on a separate unconnected drive, just in case this happens. I can re-add everything. This is my media server, so....

I'm learning what not to do AND to be patient.

Just now, trurl said:

Maybe a limitation of the webUI I didn't know about that prevents getting a result from that folder icon during a rebuild. You should be able to access any of your files though, including from the emulated disk, over the network as usual.

I thought the same thing, so I double checked and everything is gone. The server says rebuilding. One drive shows files, but when looking through windows, everything is blank. Empty. 

Diagnostics running but not downloading. 

On the main page, it still shows rebuilding however, everything on disk 2 (not the drive being rebuilt) is showing millions of errors and counting.

I'm starting to think it might just be worth it to start from scratch! 

I'm out of ideas and patience at this point.

Question... 

Disk 1 being rebuilt

Disk 2 showing empty but shouldn't be.

Disk 3 showing it has files, but those files aren't available when using windows to access the files on the server.

Can I force a parity rebuild of Disk 2 and 3 by doing the same thing we did for disk 1?

Stop>remove disk>start then stop>re-add disk>start?

Edited by Spaceherpe

If you are getting lots of errors on any disk during the rebuild you should try to correct the situation and try again. All bits of all disks must be reliably read in order to reliably rebuild all bits of the disabled disk.

Any time you are mucking about in the case you must always double-check all disk connections, power and SATA.

1 minute ago, Spaceherpe said:

Question... 

Disk 1 being rebuilt

Disk 2 showing empty but shouldn't be.

Disk 3 showing it has files, but those files aren't available when using windows to access the files on the server.

Can I force a parity rebuild of Disk 2 and 3 by doing the same thing we did for disk 1?

Stop>remove disk>start then stop>re-add disk>start?

If you only have one parity disk then you can only rebuild one data disk at a time. Parity itself doesn't have any of your data. As I said above, ALL other disks are required to rebuild a disabled disk. While it would be possible to attempt one of those other rebuilds after disk1 rebuild completes, I really don't see how that should be necessary and doubt it would be helpful. If they aren't disabled they shouldn't need rebuilding.

I think it's more likely that you just have some bad connections or some other hardware problem (controller?) and nothing is wrong with those other disks or their contents.

Just shut down, check all connections, try disk1 rebuild again, and post new diagnoistics.

1 minute ago, trurl said:

If you are getting lots of errors on any disk during the rebuild you should try to correct the situation and try again. All bits of all disks must be reliably read in order to reliably rebuild all bits of the disabled disk.

Any time you are mucking about in the case you must always double-check all disk connections, power and SATA.

If you only have one parity disk then you can only rebuild one data disk at a time. Parity itself doesn't have any of your data. As I said above, ALL other disks are required to rebuild a disabled disk. While it would be possible to attempt one of those other rebuilds after disk1 rebuild completes, I really don't see how that should be necessary and doubt it would be helpful. If they aren't disabled they shouldn't need rebuilding.

I think it's more likely that you just have some bad connections or some other hardware problem (controller?) and nothing is wrong with those other disks or their contents.

Just shut down, check all connections, try disk1 rebuild again, and post new diagnoistics.

It will have to wait until tomorrow. I have to get to bed. Wake up for work at 0445. I'm going to let the parity run it's course for now and reassess tomorrow. The absolute worst case scenario is a full reset of my server and reinstalling all of my media...again.

Thank you for your help. I'll post an update when I get off work tomorrow afternoon.