Static IP for Windows 10 VM Steamlink Host?

landS

Good day folks

What is the preferred method of setting a static IP for a Windows 10 VM machine?

anytime my IP address changes in the VM (mostly from unraid system reboots) I must re-link my steamlink which is somewhat irksome.

My VM uses the br0 bridge & the symlink games folder share works as if it was on baremetal through this.

My unraid config is set to use a static ip via the network settings on unraid itself (not via a router assignment). 

thanks!

5 hours ago, landS said:

Good day folks

What is the preferred method of setting a static IP for a Windows 10 VM machine?

anytime my IP address changes in the VM (mostly from unraid system reboots) I must re-link my steamlink which is somewhat irksome.

My VM uses the br0 bridge & the symlink games folder share works as if it was on baremetal through this.

My unraid config is set to use a static ip via the network settings on unraid itself (not via a router assignment). 

thanks!

Simply set it as static by going into your control panel, network & sharing center, click "ethernet", properties, double Internet Protocol Version 4 and select the "use the following IP address" and such. Make sure whatever address you use is outside of the DHCP list but tbh your router should be doing DNS names so sounds like its not doing that either. For instance when I create a windows/linux VM. When I type its name it's IP is looked up and I don't "have" to set statics. I do set statics but wouldn't have to.

Thanks @Jerky_san  - only reason I wanted to reach out to the community before setting a Static IP in Windows (VM) Network settings was to avoid a potentially ignorant decision resulting in the VMs internal network choice conflicting with whatever magic Unraid assigns during the bridging process.  Glad to hear that is not a likely concern.

My router is set to reboot weekly, and reboots of machines with dynamic IPs after it's scheduled bump oft results in a shifting IP landscape 

Edited by landS
2 hours ago, landS said:

Thanks @Jerky_san  - only reason I wanted to reach out to the community before setting a Static IP in Windows (VM) Network settings was to avoid a potentially ignorant decision resulting in the VMs internal network choice conflicting with whatever magic Unraid assigns during the bridging process.  Glad to hear that is not a likely concern.

My router is set to reboot weekly, and reboots of machines with dynamic IPs after it's scheduled bump oft results in a shifting IP landscape 

Yeah it's fine. Think of unraid as having a switch inside cause that's basically what it is. So ips and everything are issued from the router and the vm is "standalone" as in the host only knows certain things like ram usiage but they are more guesses than truth. On the router reboot it should still be getting all the DHCP as when it comes backup it will tell all the client machines that it's broadcasting DHCP again on x.x.x.255 and they should push their names again. Does it ever work? It might need a .local at the end or something.

• Upvote 1