Do you use a VPN?

Redness

12 hours ago, trurl said:

Well, since somebody (not me) approved this first post of Redness, I'll just go ahead and ask.

@Redness

Are you a spammer for your preferred VPN service?

Are new members of these forums always treated as spammers?

There was a hot discussion regarding VPNs at my Christmas dinner and that's why I asked a genuine question. I'm interested in other people opinions because I want to use the best price/quality ratio, provider. 

I use a VPN, but I do not trust any commercial or private company. I build my own VPN servers on a VPS & as always if compared to the highly priced low quality commercial providers mine are very fast & reliable.

The VPS I'm using has gigabit uplink, 2GB ram & 2 cores for the high price of 2.5 USD a month, while connected though my pfsense I also forward some ports.

Edited by PSYCHOPATHiO
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
5 hours ago, Redness said:

There was a hot discussion regarding VPNs at my Christmas dinner and that's why I asked a genuine question. I'm interested in other people opinions because I want to use the best price/quality ratio, provider. 

MAN I KNOW RIGHT! I always want to create new accounts on boards i've never posted on and ask questions that are crazily discussed at holiday parties! It's like the other day, for the second night of Hanukah, me and Ishmael were having some friends over, and some guy was like "if I was going to do 10gbe in my house, I would go fiber, i don't care about the cable expense!" But this other guy was all "MAN, you gotta go copper. It's a little pricey now for the cards, but it's the future!" So after that, I went and created an account on the synology forums and posted:

Do you use 10gbe?

I have tried several 10gbe hardware providers like Intel, Quanta and as of lately, Mellanox. Would rank Mellanox the highest because it has the best quality for a very low price, really impressed with the provider.

What do you use? 

Totally legit. Welcome to the forums.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
5 hours ago, Redness said:

What often happens is someone will put up a first post that isn't really about Unraid but might be genuine. And they don't even put any links into that post. Until later after they have been approved. Then they edit it to include links to something they have a commercial interest in.

The reason we require approval of first posts is precisely because we get a lot of spammers.

We will see ...

On 12/28/2018 at 3:30 PM, trurl said:

What often happens is someone will put up a first post that isn't really about Unraid but might be genuine. And they don't even put any links into that post. Until later after they have been approved. Then they edit it to include links to something they have a commercial interest in.

The reason we require approval of first posts is precisely because we get a lot of spammers.

We will see ...

Have nothing to link. Just interested in other IT literate people opinion. Doesn't seem that friendly by the older answers.

Edited by Redness
On 12/28/2018 at 3:12 PM, 1812 said:

MAN I KNOW RIGHT! I always want to create new accounts on boards i've never posted on and ask questions that are crazily discussed at holiday parties! It's like the other day, for the second night of Hanukah, me and Ishmael were having some friends over, and some guy was like "if I was going to do 10gbe in my house, I would go fiber, i don't care about the cable expense!" But this other guy was all "MAN, you gotta go copper. It's a little pricey now for the cards, but it's the future!" So after that, I went and created an account on the synology forums and posted:

Do you use 10gbe?

I have tried several 10gbe hardware providers like Intel, Quanta and as of lately, Mellanox. Would rank Mellanox the highest because it has the best quality for a very low price, really impressed with the provider.

What do you use? 

Totally legit. Welcome to the forums.

How else am I supposed to post something besides creating an account? :)
I hope your next year's resolution is to become more open-minded and understand that different people have completely different knowledge and opinion which results in distinctive discussions. Happy new year.

Edited by Redness
  • Upvote 1
On 12/28/2018 at 1:34 PM, PSYCHOPATHiO said:

I use a VPN, but I do not trust any commercial or private company. I build my own VPN servers on a VPS & as always if compared to the highly priced low quality commercial providers mine are very fast & reliable.

The VPS I'm using has gigabit uplink, 2GB ram & 2 cores for the high price of 2.5 USD a month, while connected though my pfsense I also forward some ports.

Interesting, will look at this possibility. Thanks for the insight. 

11 hours ago, Redness said:

How else am I supposed to post something besides creating an account? :)
I hope your next year's resolution is to become more open-minded and understand that different people have completely different knowledge and opinion which results in distinctive discussions. Happy new year.

I hope your new year resolution is to learn to not be so obvious in your sales attempts, and understand that everyone can see through you, and to have the honesty when caught.

Merry early Presidents Day.

On 12/28/2018 at 6:34 AM, PSYCHOPATHiO said:

Curious, I looked into this for a moment.  How is the endpoint different than a typical commercial VPN provider when your traffic is no longer encrypted while on their network?  Perhaps less of a target for logging/monitoring since it is a commercial VPS vs. VPN provider?  Serious questions.

VPN providers know you are using a VPN & can manipulate your data, log your DNS queries & retain it as long as they wish, as on a VPS you can utilize it as a multifunctional server & one of these services installed is a VPS with the option of hardening the security.

In addition you almost never get the full speed your ISP modem is capable of with any reputable VPN provider & the encryption set to a minimal as the higher the encryption the more CPU usage will be.

On my server I utilize DNSCrypt in conjunction with Unbound & with unbound you have multiple option of hardening your DNS, that VPN link is connected to my pfSense & here I have all my DNS queries sent over HTTPS (CloudFlare, QuadDNS, OpenDNS), my encryption algo is set  to AES-256 there are more options on the pfSense box that will be lengthy to mention.

The VPS I use has a (Allow IRC Servers, VPN, Torrents, Free DMCA) policy.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, unevent said:

I see, thanks for the info.  Is there a reason why not to use the resolver in pfsense and route the queries through the VPN vs. DNS forwarding via https to commercial DNS caching servers?

I actually use the resolver 99% of the time , but sometimes I do forward some queries for home lab testing & experimenting.

On 12/28/2018 at 5:34 AM, PSYCHOPATHiO said:

Trying to clarify for my own understanding...

You pay for a virtual private server, and have configured that server (installed appropriate software/services) to serve as your VPN provider. Is this correct?

Where are you getting a virtual private server for $2.50 a month? Seriously, I can't find anything remotely close to that price.

Edited by whipdancer
clarification
  • Like 1
On 1/1/2019 at 12:51 AM, 1812 said:

I hope your new year resolution is to learn to not be so obvious in your sales attempts, and understand that everyone can see through you, and to have the honesty when caught.

Merry early Presidents Day.

Are you serious right now? What did I sell in this specific thread? Oh no, you cought me asking a question, God please forbid this!