Win10 KVM - Focusrite USB Passthrough - BSOD issues

h3xcmd

For Christmas and the new year, My wife has an Idea and wants to get into podcasting. Awesome, Lets Build a KVM, I got this.  lol.. so 2 Choices Hackintosh, or Windows 10. ( rubs hands together)

This is a great opportunity to upgrade Unraid from basic to Plus, because I was at 97% full, added a few 4TB hard drives moved a drive around to get 37%, a Mac Keyboard, Nvidia GPU, extra ram, and the Podcasting equipment, which is just a Focusrite Scarlett Solo studio pack 2nd gen on a boom arm with a shock mount and pop-filter. I had a previous setup with Windows 10KVM, Radeon HD5450, Dual Monitors, usb passthrough'd an Akai Mini MPK, because sometimes I just like to mash on a Piano keyboard thinking I am Deadmau5. I just want to build a Media Creation Center KVM to just be creative. 

And now, (drum roll please) the problems begin. So The whole Idea was to build a High Sierra Hackintosh, The Nvidia card I bought Q4000 is too old based on the info in the unraid forums and need the K4000, had no idea there was a difference and was going off of what Dell recommended for this 2012 server.  so that's getting returned and i'll look for a K4000 in the near future. So now I am just thinking lets stick to my current set up with Windows, protools(first) and audacity and lets get something working better than nothing because The wife is threatening to use her laptop and buy another computer desk next to mine. with pink fuzzy carpet and a pink velvet chair, IN MY SPACE, the only corner of the house that is mine. So I am Determined to get this working. 

Dell Poweredge T420 - 8 HDD, 2x 6core 24 threads Xeon 2400v2 processors, 24gb ECC ram, (usb 2.0)  
Unraid - 4tb p - 9tb array  (1tb,1tb,1tb,4tb,2tb) .5tb cache (.5tb, .5tb) 

KVM - Windows 10 Enterprise | Version 1809 | OS Build 17763.195
CPU Passthrough - Xeon

last 8 threads assigned
8192mb Ram
OVMF
Hyper-v= no
i440fx-3.0
USB controler 2.0 (EHCI) toggle to 3.0 (Quem)
Primary GPU Radeon HD 5450 with a vBIOS rom file from techpowerup
Sound Card - Radeon HD 5450 HDMI

passthrough usb devices

• mouse
  • keyboard
  • akai Mini MPK
  • Focusrite novation inc

Following Focusrite instructions to install the FOCUSRITE USB ASIO DRIVER 4.36.5 (!!!FIRST!!!!) then plug in/passthrough the usb device.... BSOD nightmares and PTSD until I learned to read!! . I also removed the akai mini mpk from the usb passthgrough devices because no matter what I did I got a BSOD: Stopcode: BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER forcing a reboot after 100%. after this reboot the Focusrite USB ASIO DRIVER would get corrupted, headphones would sound tin 'ie' and Matrix 'ie'. So, Now what happens is when I passthrough  Focusrite novation inc , it just locks up software (not responding) audacity and.. protools and task kill don't work for nothin forcing me to "force stop " the KVM everytime. 

Overall its just been a frustrating experience and benched the Idea. I sent a ticket to Focusrite however the product works on my wifes' Dell Latitude (5440) with Win 10 pro and my Latitude (7404) with Win 10 ENT LTSR 2016. Because it works on native hardware, I cannot blame the FOCUSRITE USB ASIO DRIVER.  Even though that driver is the primary issue and root of problem with the unraid Windows 10 KVM. 

Anyone with a similar experience, have something to try, an idea I am all ears. I am sure there is some XLM code to use or something to try that is above my expertise. 

interesting suggestion. instead of using the on-board usb controller (even though the server has 8 usb 2.0 ports) just pass through a pcie card just for the kvm. I am willing to try it.  Maybe I'll get 2, one for the hackintosh build.  Might be a few days for the part to come in to test it out.

Will adding a pcie usb card, resolve, the inability to hot swap usb devices to the KVM? 
currently, if anything gets unplugged from the KVM, while running, the device plugged in no longer works and either 1) reboot unraid 2) remove and add back the KVM. 

Edited by h3xcmd
adding question

I honestly have to say, @SpaceInvaderOne, is on another level. Hats off to you, brilliant sir. I was able to passthrough an integrated on-board USB host controller, I didn't have to buy one, and the Focusrite Scarlet solo equipment freaking works.. I am (mind blown) . 

Edited by h3xcmd
wrong name