(Solved) RAID first or RAID with unRAID?

rmp5s

3 minutes ago, Squid said:

If the array is already existing, then unRaid will want to clear the drive (zero it out) resulting in loss of all data on that drive.  IF the drive is already formatted with a support FS and the correct partition scheme, there is a workaround, but generally its easier to simply mount the drive with the data already on it and copy its contents over to another drive already in the array and then add it in afterwards.

Oh, alright.  That works.  Simple enough.

3 minutes ago, Squid said:

I've done it many times.  No problems.  I can't even be bothered anymore to take a screenshot of my drive assignments "just in case"

Its not "this would be", but rather "this IS" :) 

Looking like it IS!!  That's unbelievable!  That makes upgrades SO easy!!

19 hours ago, Squid said:

...generally its easier to simply mount the drive with the data already on it and copy its contents over to another drive already in the array and then add it in afterwards.

So, how would one go about copying the data to the array?  Just created the array and got it all formatted and up and running with two 3TB drives for now.  Want to copy some stuff off of an external 8TB drive I have so I can put it in and add it to the array.  It's a USB drive so I'm expecting copying data to take QUITE a while...

9 minutes ago, rmp5s said:

So, how would one go about copying the data to the array?  Just created the array and got it all formatted and up and running with two 3TB drives for now.  Want to copy some stuff off of an external 8TB drive I have so I can put it in and add it to the array.  It's a USB drive so I'm expecting copying data to take QUITE a while...

Mount your external 8TB USB drive with the Unassigned Devices plugin.  It will show up in unRAID under /mnt/disks/{whatever you called the drive}

You can then copy data (using Midnight Commander - 'mc' from the unRAID console - or another file manager if you wish) from /mnt/disks/{name of disk} to /mnt/user/{name of unRAID share}

Just now, Hoopster said:

Mount your external 8TB USB drive with the Unassigned Devices plugin.  It will show up in unRAID under /mnt/disks/{whatever you called the drive}

You can then copy data (using Midnight Commander - 'mc' from the unRAID console - or another file manager if you wish) from /mnt/disks/{name of disk} to /mnt/user/{name of unRAID share}

Cool cool.  Thanks!

1 minute ago, Hoopster said:

If you are not familiar with Midnight Commander, you could do it from Windows/Mac on another computer (assuming your unRAID shares are exported as public), but, this would be slower than doing it directly from unRAID with mc.

Yea, I just discovered how to set up shares and access them and all that right before your first reply.  Thinking I might do it that way as then I could use Unstoppable Copy to move everything from my desktop to the server.  I'm sure it's going to take a LONG time either way, so I'm not too worried about that.  I'll definitely look into the method you mention though.  Nothing wrong with having options!  lol