i9-7940x and Asrock x299 Taichi

Well, my server is constantly rebooting again. Last time it did this I replaced the powersupply and it was good for about 10 months, now it's doing the same thing. It's an older dual Xeon box that gets pretty high cpu utilization when transcoding with plex.

I also have been wanting to upgrade my gaming/workstation PC. I'm thinking about killing two birds with one stone.

I'm considering a I9-7940x with an Asrok x299 Taichi motherboard, 64GB of RAM, I'll use my 1070 video card for now to pass through to my Windows 10 VM. I run a Linux VM for dev work and some dockers for other stuff.

Thoughts on the MB/CPU?

Thanks

6 hours ago, supereri73 said:

It's an older dual Xeon box that gets pretty high cpu utilization when transcoding with plex

looks like a CPU overheating issue - are CPU fans working, and have you good airflow in your case?

if your setup is really old, this could be a bad thermal paste for CPU's too..

This has happened with two different sets of CPUs. I had the original CPUs from when I bought the server off of ebay when the problem first started happening. I replaced the power supply and it stopped rebooting. I replaced the CPUs about 4 months ago and applied new thermal paste at that time. Everything worked fine until about 5 days ago when it rebooted again. Now, it keeps rebooting after a few minutes. Of course when it first starts up unraid it goes into a parity check.

I'm not at home to check temps, but I'll take a look when I do get home. Thanks for the suggestion.

Supermicro PWS-865-PQ 865W Super Quiet Ps

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002I371X6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

6 HDD

2 SSD

I think it's just using the onboard video with no dedicated GPU.

The server is a "SuperMicro X8DTL-L Server - 2x Xeon E5506 QC @ 2.13GHz 16GB DDR3" that I replaced the CPUs with "Matched Pair Intel Xeon L5640 2.26GHz 12MB 5.86 GTs LGA1366 Hex Core CPU SLBV8".

17 minutes ago, uldise said:

Check the CPU usage/Temps, maybe it simple overheating somehow..

CPU is between 18-34C. Not much happening on the box. I'm doing a backup from my laptop to a share on the server right now.

Using the dynamix system temp plug in I see something called "intel5500" is running 83c which is obviously quite hot. Looks like it's the chipset temp and it's not unusual. I see people with other boards making custom solutions. I'm not sure this is a smoking gun, but I'll keep an eye on it.

33 minutes ago, supereri73 said:

Using the dynamix system temp plug in I see something called "intel5500" is running 83c which is obviously quite hot

if your case have a good airflow, your chipset temp should be not much as 60c at idle. if you start heavy using of your system, it should decrease as result of increased airflow in the case. 

what case do you have? and how much fans? 

It's a supermicro mobo in a supermicro tower server. 10 minutes into a parity check the drives are all 22-24c, CPU core avg is about 26c and intel5500 peaked at 89c. I pull the side of the case off and put it on it's side so the heat could rise off the mobo and the intel5500 temp has fallen by 3c so far. The chipset, where I assume the temp is being measured, all has heatsinks but no fans.

The CPU and drive temps are all good so I think there is enough airflow in the case, but not enough airflow over the chipset to keep them cool. I'm going to check all of the fans and the fan directions to see if there is anything amiss.

I can't find that temp or label in IPMI (see screenshot). This temp was in Dynamix system temperatures. I attached a fan to the chipset heatsinks and am now seeing temps in the low 60's on the intel5500 according to Dynamix. The server has been stable for about 15 hours or so even before attaching the fan.

Capture1.PNG