Array rebuild stuck

xtrips

1 minute ago, trurl said:

So it looks like you must have told it to Format disk4, which would explain why it is empty instead of just unmountable. Not that it matters in this particular case since the rebuild was bad anyway, but for future reference, Format is never part of the rebuild process.

These logs reveal all my flaws :( Mea culpa.

BTW, disk 1 is also bound to be discarded and replaced. Could I copy its content to disk 4, then after that connect the replaced disk (with the missing data) instead of disk 1 and also copy its content, or rebuild parity?

Or even better, can I connect the replaced disk with missing data through a USB  HDD docking station? Will Unraid read the XFS through USB?

2 minutes ago, xtrips said:

BTW, disk 1 is also bound to be discarded and replaced. Could I copy its content to disk 4, then after that connect the replaced disk (with the missing data) instead of disk 1 and also copy its content, or rebuild parity?

That is one approach.

After copying disk1 you would have to New Config and rebuild parity without that disk assigned, then connect the original disk4 using that port and access it with Unassigned Devices to copy its data off. Then there would be some time to clear a new disk if you wanted the capacity you had planned to get by replacing disk1. 

That might be as good a way as any. Let me think about it a while, look at your diagnostics, and see if there are any other opinions.

23 minutes ago, trurl said:

That is one approach.

After copying disk1 you would have to New Config and rebuild parity without that disk assigned, then connect the original disk4 using that port and access it with Unassigned Devices to copy its data off. Then there would be some time to clear a new disk if you wanted the capacity you had planned to get by replacing disk1. 

That might be as good a way as any. Let me think about it a while, look at your diagnostics, and see if there are any other opinions.

image.thumb.png.4f3341dd2fcbf8d5eed706df4f9c5030.png

image.thumb.png.9062e9b474a6283a4a5be882acdcf4f5.png

I connected the replaced drive using an external USB dock. As you can see I mounted it and can access it from the network via Toal Commander.
I could copy the content from Windows but I am afraid to lose something due to Windows or filename syntax or whatever, and also I wish to spare my PC the burden to copy all those files.
What command could I use via Unraid Terminal to put all the burden and responsibility on Unraid?

Edited by xtrips

I always use Midnight Commander (mc from the command line). It is similar to Total Commander in some ways. Google "Midnight Commander" and I think you will get the idea.

The other thing you will need to know is where the disks are mounted from the command line perspective. Each of your disks are in /mnt/disk1, /mnt/disk2, ..., /mnt/cache, and the Unassigned mounts are in /mnt/disks.

I should probably also mention this just to give the warning. The user shares are in /mnt/user, but you don't need them for this and you must not mix user shares and disks when copying/moving or you could lose data.

1 hour ago, trurl said:

I always use Midnight Commander (mc from the command line). It is similar to Total Commander in some ways. Google "Midnight Commander" and I think you will get the idea.

The other thing you will need to know is where the disks are mounted from the command line perspective. Each of your disks are in /mnt/disk1, /mnt/disk2, ..., /mnt/cache, and the Unassigned mounts are in /mnt/disks.

I should probably also mention this just to give the warning. The user shares are in /mnt/user, but you don't need them for this and you must not mix user shares and disks when copying/moving or you could lose data.

I got Krusader running within Unraid, familiar interface but I still didn't figure out how to show the content by specific disk. There is nothing under /mnt.

And about the warning, I fear I didn't understand what you wrote. Did you mean that the sharing settings are not default? That somehow I changed some sharing rights that I shouln't have changed? 

The default for the Krusader template puts everything under /media  (But you would also have to change the template to have it reference /mnt instead of /mnt/user)

I saw my files under media, but I need to access the content of specific disks. The unassigned one and disk4. Any idea how to do that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

After you edit Krusader to allow you to access the disks, what I said above still applies except in Krusader you would look under /media instead of /mnt. So /media/disk1.../media/disks, etc. And don't even touch /media/user because that is what I was warning you about before (don't mix user shares and disks when moving/copying).

OR

Forget about reconfiguring Krusader and try Midnight Commander.

If you do reconfigure Krusader, you will want to change it back after you are done working with disks so it can safely work with user shares again.

12 hours ago, trurl said:

Personally if I were using Krusader, I would just map /mnt to /mnt and just find things at their expected paths instead of remapping to /media. A lot less confusing for everyone concerned I would think. And if you are going to have to map the disks anyway it isn't really any safer to map to /media.

This is exactly what I did the minute you put me on the right track about modifying the config of the docker. I am already past that as all my data has been recovered and the old disk is disconnected. 
Now I have to do it again for the last old disk. What tip can you give me so I don't fall back into the same problem? Of course I will check the connections first, but as you have seen my Parity disk was shown all green while being disconnected. What should I check to be sure?