AMD Vega Passthrough for MacOS Mojave VM

Hello everyone.

My system configuration is as follows:

AMD TR 1950X

MSI X399 Carbon

Sapphire AMD VEGA Rx 64 8GB

32G HyperX DDR4

1 WD Green 120G  M.2 SSD  (sole drive used for unRAID)

in addition I am using 2 NVMe Samsung 970 Pro and 3 4TB Seagate HDD with the motherboard RAID controller for my original Non-VM Windows Setup.

I basically am trying out unRAID to run macOS Mojave on my system as Hackintoshing it was proving to be troublesome and using VirtualBox wouldn't let me passthrough my GPU.

I followed SpaceInvader's guide on YouTube to install macOS Mojave successfully via VNC.

I am having trouble passing through my GPU where the VM either loads until the Apple logo and half the progress bar before going blank or just loads normally and then glitches out.

I have dumped and loaded the Bios of my GPU and tried numerous kext/driver fixes available on the Interwebs.

My understanding is that my GPU shouldn't give me such a hard time considering macOS natively supports it. 

I would be very grateful to anyone who can help me with this as I intend to use unRAID for all my VMs and also move my barebones Windows system to it eventually.

Edited by theklutzysamurai
  • 1 month later...

Hey,

i had some problems with my vega too. Did you try to passthrough only the graphic card without the Vega audio? SpaceinvaderOne says in it's videos, that you need to pass through both GPU IDs (VGA/Sound) to get it to run. This, for instance, was true for my GTX970 and for my RX570, but with Vega nothing would boot correctly when i try to pass through its audio. Can you give it a try?

Edited by suRe
  • 2 weeks later...

I tried VEGA also, couldnt get it to pass through a second time. Got it finally to work 1 time than it would remain in a crashed state after 1st use, had to restart the server to boot again.

The Sapphire RX580 Pulse 8GB is an amazing card. Get one of those for 1/2 the price of VEGA, works amazing with unraid, osx mojave and windows 10. THe fans even shut down when not needed unlike the vega. Geebench opencl gave me a 130,000 score with RX580 and 160-170,000 with VEGA, so for double the price and nightmares and constant fan it wasnt yielding double the score anyway... For windows i installed 18.9.3 driver and i can play various steam and halo forge no problems.

• 2 months later...
On 5/18/2019 at 9:41 AM, [email protected] said:

I have the rx580 and I see it as an option to passthrough in UNRAID but when I select it and boot the VM, nothing displays on my monitor nor does the RX580 show up in macos when I connect with splashtop. I have the Lilu and whatevergreen kexts installed but cant for the life of me get osx to recognize my rx580.  Any advice?

a little more info would be helpful, like what brand rx 580, which OS version and what unraid.
but, maybe this helps: 
in unraid, shut down your VM's, go to settings, VM manager and look at the "PCIe ACS override" menu.... my unraid was running fine with gpu till i updated to 6.7, then no graphics card working. I had to change that function to "both" for it to work again and display in "about my mac" menu

• 4 weeks later...

Have the same exact issue with a rx570.... nothing, and I MEAN nothing, gets macOS to see the rx570.

EDIT:  was able to get the rx570 passed through and accelerated by doing an "in-place" upgrade of High Sierra vdisk.

Edited by J.Nerdy

Seems to be a number of working Mac VM's in this thread. Is everyone getting sound out of their GPU? Any specific kext requirements?

I passed through a Sapphire Nitro RX580 using SpaceInvaders instructions. Everything worked EXCEPT for sound - no sound devices would  show up in the VM. I did indeed passthrough both the sound and video parts of the card. 

Coincidentally I have the same issue with a 1050Ti in High Sierra. Everything works except for sound.

Edited by positronicP
On 6/25/2019 at 5:18 PM, positronicP said:

Seems to be a number of working Mac VM's in this thread. Is everyone getting sound out of their GPU? Any specific kext requirements?

I passed through a Sapphire Nitro RX580 using SpaceInvaders instructions. Everything worked EXCEPT for sound - no sound devices would  show up in the VM. I did indeed passthrough both the sound and video parts of the card. 

Coincidentally I have the same issue with a 1050Ti in High Sierra. Everything works except for sound.

Same here... rx570 is driving graphics, but, not sound over HDMI