2019 upgrade

Happy new year folks.

I am looking for something more update to date and power efficient currently running

MB: Supermicro - X8DT3

CPU: Intel Xeon CPU E5645 @ 2.40GHz x2

RAM: 24GB ECC

But daily power usage is around 4 KW.h and as the system is running 24/7 its just no longer practical.

So for 2019 I will be looking to upgrading motherboard and cpu and dropping the ECC ram.

Hopefully I can just lift and shift and everything will continue to work.

Any suggestions for a good combo would be welcome.

No interest in gaming and must be suitable for 2u supermicro chassis.

Main requirementa are to have high passmark for plex, run a couple of VMs and be more power efficient than what I currently have.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

On 1/1/2019 at 6:37 AM, bally12345 said:

Happy new year folks.

I am looking for something more update to date and power efficient currently running

MB: Supermicro - X8DT3

CPU: Intelemoji2400.png Xeonemoji2400.png CPU E5645 @ 2.40GHz x2

RAM: 24GB ECC

But daily power usage is around 4 KW.h and as the system is running 24/7 its just no longer practical.

So for 2019 I will be looking to upgrading motherboard and cpu and dropping the ECC ram.

Hopefully I can just lift and shift and everything will continue to work.

Any suggestions for a good combo would be welcome.

No interest in gaming and must be suitable for 2u supermicro chassis.

Main requirementa are to have high passmark for plex, run a couple of VMs and be more power efficient than what I currently have.

Whats your price range? If its good enough then move to a threadripper 2 or wait for the thread ripper 3's to come out(with supposedly 64 cores if you can believe that). I run a 2990wx with 64gb of ram on an x399 zenith. Works pretty good except the QEMU is still playing catch up on the AMD stuff so its got a few problems here and there. Mostly solved by a few XML customization. Keeping in mind that I have 16 8tb drives, m.2, 1080ti, and 3 ssds. My consumption is average 300 watts. You take away the GPU though it drops to about 200-220 watts. Take away all the drives I figure your sitting around 170 watts. I do have a 1600 watt titantium PSU though so that might also help a lot with my power consumption.

Edit:

Sorry just realized you'd not get below 4kw a day on that.. Sorry.. Maybe a 2950x would be a lot less consumption.

Edited by Jerky_san
Whats your price range? If its good enough then move to a threadripper 2 or wait for the thread ripper 3's to come out(with supposedly 64 cores if you can believe that). I run a 2990wx with 64gb of ram on an x399 zenith. Works pretty good except the QEMU is still playing catch up on the AMD stuff so its got a few problems here and there. Mostly solved by a few XML customization. Keeping in mind that I have 16 8tb drives, m.2, 1080ti, and 3 ssds. My consumption is average 300 watts. You take away the GPU though it drops to about 200-220 watts. Take away all the drives I figure your sitting around 170 watts. I do have a 1600 watt titantium PSU though so that might also help a lot with my power consumption.

Edit:

Sorry just realized you'd not get below 4kw a day on that.. Sorry.. Maybe a 2950x would be a lot less consumption.
Here's a slightly different angle on the question what is considered a reasonable amount of power consumption?

4 hours ago, bally12345 said:

Here's a slightly different angle on the question what is considered a reasonable amount of power consumption?

really depends on what your shooting for. If power consumption is your aim then you need to set goals for said consumption. Building servers has a triangle. Efficiency, performance, and cost. Only bad thing is you only can chose one of the three. Efficiency and performance comes with a high cost. I use my threadripper for gaming, soon my wife's machine, 6-7 plex transcode streams, some dedicated servers for games, and my storage system. My old system consumed 80-120 watts idle and around 185 watts when "using" it. That was with 12 3tb drives and it was a quad core xeon. Averaging 100 watts a day makes that 2.4 kw. For another 11.2 cents a day(my price is $0.07 a kw) I get a 1080ti. 16 drives with an m2 and a 32 core thread ripper & a bunch of ssds.

I shot for the most performance with the best efficiency to achieve that(the 1600 watt psu) and I paid a heavy price for it. 2990wx was 1700 and the board was 350. Cooling was another 150.