UDMA CRC error count keeps rising, placed in error state (v6.6.2)

bamy

Hello, I have been facing issues with a single harddrive of mine lately, where the UDMA CRC count keeps rising, it is currently up to 4225. I have looked up other users threads regarding the issue, and it all seems to be a physical problem with the data transfer via the cables. I have done what others have said (replace SATA, SATA power cables), though the issue is still happening.

Now, Unraid has put the harddrive in error state. Is this a problem with the harddrive itself? No other harddrives have the error, so I don't believe its the SAS controller.

I've run diagnostics post-error state, and post-reboot (after adjusting cables again). Unfortunately there are no SMART results for the faulty disk after getting placed in error state.

I would appreciate any assistance on this, thank you so much.

Faulty drive in question: ST4000VN008-2DR166_WDH31FXE

SAS: Fujitsu 9211-8i D2607

Edited by bamtan
removed zips
5 hours ago, bamtan said:

Unfortunately there are no SMART results for the faulty disk after getting placed in error state.

That's because it dropped offline, looks like a cable problem, if you already replaced cables swap the cables/backplane drive with another disk and see if the problems follows the disk.

7 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

That's because it dropped offline, looks like a cable problem, if you already replaced cables swap the cables/backplane drive with another disk and see if the problems follows the disk.

I've swapped cables around with drives that have no issues, and the problems remained on the same drive. I've just finished a parity sync with 0 errors, and the array status of Faulty is gone. I'll probably go and buy a new hard drive today, though.

This could be a shot in the dark, but I ran into a similar problem where it looked like i had one drive dying at a time consistently. I replaced the drive and the error would switch to another drive in the array. It was driving me nuts.

Try rebooting the server and doing a memtest. I had a stick of ram go bad and it caused me to replace half of the components in my server before I discovered it.