Parity check/sync "auto-throttling" feature

bsim

I've been searching through the site for a while and can't find any retouches on this idea for last few years (and releases)...but having a large array a server with plenty of resources makes the parity check a teeth gnashing experience when the whole system network availability basically goes down for a day or two every month. I would suspect that people go without parity checks because of this HUGE drawback. I've seen that this feature may have been introduced in the code towards the beginning of unraid's initial release, but probably was put on hold because of larger concerns.

If writing to an array going through a parity check is an issue, perhaps just allowing network read only access (SMB...) and all writes temporarily redirected to use cache drives would solve the problem temporarily?

Desperately seeking the feature (while banging head against desk)!

• 2 months later...

The Parity Check Tuning plugin is now available which while it does not (yet anyway) provide the auto-throttling requested but does allow a parity check to be broken down into increments that can be scheduled to run when it is known the system is likely to be idle.  For more information see the forum Support thread for this plugin.   This may reduce the impact on normal running of running the parity check.

Whether the plugin can ever be enhanced to auto-detect idle periods rather that explicitly specifying pause/resume times for running increments I am not sure but it is down as a Wish List item.