(Solved) Moving files to update disk format

I am going to move the data from an old reiserfs formated disk to an empty ifs disk.  The old disk has two shares (movies and TV) as well as two additional files (.DS_Store and ,_.DS_Store).  Do I need to move those two files along with the shares or just the shares?  I will be using the UnBalance plugin to do the move.  I have read the documentation but don't see these files mentioned anywhere.

Here is a screenshot (my array) of my array.  disk 7 and 8 were just added and I have copied disk 1 onto disk 7.  Also attached screenshot of my shares page where you see disk 7 as a disk share.  When I copied there were folders on for the movie and tv share.  If I click on the user share TV I don't have the option to add disk 7 but I have it set to all. 

My array.png

Shares.png

Huh.  Can you post your diagnostics.  Under Disk Shares, all disks should be appearing.  Not just 7 & 8

9 minutes ago, sgraham884 said:

I don't have the option to add disk 7 but I have it set to all. 

Because under Global Share Settings, you've checked off included disks, but don't have 7 checked off.  Easy thing to do is to remove all checkmarks from the include / exclude settings.  General rule is that you never need to touch those 2 settings.

Edited by Squid
4 minutes ago, trurl said:

From the Help Text of Global Share Settings, Enable Disk Shares:

Huh.  Cool.  Never knew that.  (Who ever looks at the help text or reads a map?)  Upshot is that also answers his question (and confirms mine).  Since Include disks doesn't reflect 7&8, no files will get written to them.

Have you enabled Disk Shares just for the purpose of moving your files from disk to disk over the network? That is one way and I won't argue with it.

But you must make sure you never mix disks (including cache) and User Shares when managing your files or you can lose data.

I usually recommend not using Disk Shares since it can be dangerous and most purposes can be accomplished with appropriate User Share settings.

I didn't consciously create disk shares.  Was that possibly a choice when I added the disks to the array?  I am at work at the moment and will take a better look based on the above comments when I get home.  Ultimately  I just want the data on that disk and data I move to disk 8 to be in the same user shares as the other disks.  I'll post back with what I find.

15 minutes ago, sgraham884 said:

I didn't consciously create disk shares.  Was that possibly a choice when I added the disks to the array?  I am at work at the moment and will take a better look based on the above comments when I get home.  Ultimately  I just want the data on that disk and data I move to disk 8 to be in the same user shares as the other disks.  I'll post back with what I find.

Take a look in Global Share Settings. Probably you have specified which disks should participate in User Share. Just clear the Include and Exclude fields and all disks will be in User Shares.

I see from your first post you are using Unbalance. That should take care of the moving for you in a safe way. Just fix your Global Share Settings.

• sgraham884 changed the title to (Solved) Moving files to update disk format