How can I set eth0 speed to be persistent?

Hi All,

I have two NICs on my server, eth0 and eth1. eth1 is disconnected. eth0 has a cat6 cable connected to a gigabit port on a switch. Whenever I restart my server, eth0 always defaults to 10Mb/s as reported by ethtool. I have to manually set eth0 to be 1000Mb/s and full duplex 

ethtool -s eth0 speed 1000 duplex full

and after a few seconds it then shows the correct speed. It is actually slow, and not just a bug with the eth0 reporting.

Any ideas?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, 

i have the same issue, every time I restart the Server it changes to 10MB/s. If I pull the ethernet cable out and back in it works just fine at 1000mb/s. Im tying a solution where I just put the same command you used in a Plugin named User Scripts. It runs the script automatically on the first array start. It's not a fancy solution but maybe it can save you some nerves if it works for you. If you have another solution I would love to hear what you have done to fix it.

This is a hardware issue.  The speed is set by a negotiation between the switch and the Network Interface Chip/Board.  Failure to get the proper speed is (almost always) found to be a bad switch port, a bad cable or a bad NIC/Board.  You can also try rebooting the switch by power cycling it.  That sometimes resolves these types of problems.