Using Duplicati for Auto Backup of Vdisk

Hi,

Is it possible to use Duplicati to backup vdisk.img for my vm while it is running ? Has anyone tried this and had success? I currently just stop the vm and copy manually using krusader docker but would like to setup auto backup using Duplicati. any input would be helpful.

Thanks

• 4 months later...

I'm also very interested in this. I tried it, took a backup of a 20GB vdisk while the VM was running. Then I restored it (making sure to disable the use of local files in duplicati) and did a md5sum of the original and new files. And the md5sum were different, sadly. However, I was still able to boot the restored vdisk and didn't notice any difference in the installed OS/applications within the image. So... it kinda works?

• 1 year later...

Hi - I had vdisk nightly backups setup with VM running and had to perform a restore. I am not sure if what I did was correct, but with VM shutdown:

1. vdisk still present, clicked restore so it must have overwrote the file. Restore failed checksum and the resulting vdisk.img was not bootable at all.

2. then deleted the vdisk, restored from the second last backup which did not have to overwrite anything, and it worked.

I am not sure if the problem was with duplicati restoring on top of an existing file... perhaps it was trying to just update portions of an existing file, instead of overwriting the whole thing... but in any case, I was successful in restoring a second last backup.

I would not call it fully reliable... I actually "double backup" with the vm running Urbackup and doing image backups as well... in case my vdisk gets screwed by Duplicati, I can at least restore from within.