[Support] Josh5 - Unmanic - Library Optimiser

11 minutes ago, randomusername said:

I have just updated from 0.1.4 -> 0.2.3. All of the options seem to be tucked away and difficult to discover, a splash screen suggests that unmanic is now possibly a paid product on patreon (I have no idea how to parse that message, is it still free? Are there differences for free users?), but most frustratingly the "scan library now" button doesn't work. Nor does the periodic library scans function. Nor does the one off library scan on startup option. Scans just don't work.

I love unmanic, but mostly I'm looking for simplicity and clarity, which is getting progressively worse.

You are welcome to remain on the v0.1.4 release if that better suits your needs.

Yes, Unmanic has progressed a lot since v0.1.4, however it is still free to use and not a "paid product". What you are referring to as a paid product are additional features that I have added but kept exclusive to people who support the project either by committing code on GitHub, joining in helping others on discord, or chip in financially on patreon. You do not need these additional features to use Unmanic.

Take a look at these guides for getting started:

https://youtube.com/channel/UCmsVRE59G_yDKk07TJF1g4A

Need some advice, I think I have things setup correct, but when I scan my movie library, it only takes about 3 seconds to get to a %100 and it doesn't find anything to convert?   There are definitely H.264 movies in the library files.

*Edit, never mind I didn't notice that you had to add the plugins individually to each library.

Edited by parish
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone. 

Is anyone able to assist me please. I am running Unmanic and I am finding that the bitrate is too high on some 4K content for my Wifi. I know that there is now an option to set custom settings for plugins but Im unsure how to use it correctly. Is anyone able to help me set a bitrate limit or average on the Video Encoder H265/HEVC - libx265 (CPU) plugin?

7 hours ago, lordvaderxiii said:

Hi Everyone. 

Is anyone able to assist me please. I am running Unmanic and I am finding that the bitrate is too high on some 4K content for my Wifi. I know that there is now an option to set custom settings for plugins but Im unsure how to use it correctly. Is anyone able to help me set a bitrate limit or average on the Video Encoder H265/HEVC - libx265 (CPU) plugin?

The libx265 plugin uses CRF values. Not sure what you currently have it set at. For 1080p, I find the “medium” profile with a CRF value of 25 is a good option of quality, size, and transcode time. Ymmv on 4K content. The lower the CRF, the better the quality (and bigger resulting file).

if your 4K content is already x265, unmanic won’t process the video if x265 is the desired output. 

16 hours ago, Cpt. Chaz said:

The libx265 plugin uses CRF values. Not sure what you currently have it set at. For 1080p, I find the “medium” profile with a CRF value of 25 is a good option of quality, size, and transcode time. Ymmv on 4K content. The lower the CRF, the better the quality (and bigger resulting file).

if your 4K content is already x265, unmanic won’t process the video if x265 is the desired output. 

Thanks I have been thinking this over and I have already reduced the CRF but that is dependant on the file and doesnt always result in the desired bitrate. I use the Chromecast with Google TV with a Unifi AP AC Pro and if that isnt enough bandwidth then I think I need to run a network cable direct to the Chromecast and get a network adapter. Time to cut open the wall again. 

I'm assuming there's no way for me to decide when the runner asks to encode a file? I have a large library of ridiculously large h265 files that I wanted to re-encode with my own setting back to h265 but unmanic decides they are already h265 so does nothing to them.  Can I change this anywhere? 

1 hour ago, nowhere99 said:

I'm assuming there's no way for me to decide when the runner asks to encode a file? I have a large library of ridiculously large h265 files that I wanted to re-encode with my own setting back to h265 but unmanic decides they are already h265 so does nothing to them.  Can I change this anywhere? 

You can run any command you like from Unmanic. The plugins that you are talking about are designed not to do that, but that is not to say a plugin could not be easily written that could.

• 2 weeks later...

I am having an issue and am at a loss on how to troubleshoot.

If Unmanic is idle for a period and then detects a new file to process, it will just spin and spin on the first processing state. Currently, there are multiple files that were added 3 days ago and nothing is actually being processed.

If I restart the docker though, it will complete the process on these files.

So, how to I either resolve the issue or troubleshoot it?

Thanks, Eddie

On 7/2/2022 at 9:57 PM, parish said:

Need some advice, I think I have things setup correct, but when I scan my movie library, it only takes about 3 seconds to get to a %100 and it doesn't find anything to convert?   There are definitely H.264 movies in the library files.

*Edit, never mind I didn't notice that you had to add the plugins individually to each library.

Thanks for your edit. I have been racking my brain.....

Hi josh can u add a blank plugin where you can just cpmletely customize ffmpeg input commands? i would like to use it for av1 encoding but theres no plugin for that but i need to use -c:v libsvtav1 but i cant select x264 since then the command got two c:v inputs (an av1 plugin would be awesome too i can write you all the commands for it)

On 10/12/2021 at 2:38 PM, remati said:

Anyone have an example External Post-processor Script to rename files with 264 in their filename to 265? Thanks!

were you able to get renaming to work? from the worker logs i dont even see an attempt to call the External Post-processor Script.

On 6/27/2022 at 5:49 AM, Josh.5 said:

Yes, Unmanic has progressed a lot since v0.1.4, however it is still free to use and not a "paid product". What you are referring to as a paid product are additional features that I have added but kept exclusive to people who support the project either by committing code on GitHub, joining in helping others on discord, or chip in financially on patreon. You do not need these additional features to use Unmanic.

Take a look at these guides for getting started:

https://youtube.com/channel/UCmsVRE59G_yDKk07TJF1g4A

Entirely fair, thank you for the support.

My unmanic.db file in appdata/unmanic/.unmanic/config is now 5.5GB. For ease of appdata backups, is it okay to delete the unmanic.db file? I know I will lose the history, but is there anything more important/dangerous that will be lost? I assume unmanic won't reconvert the already converted video and audio.

5 hours ago, randomusername said:

Entirely fair, thank you for the support.

My unmanic.db file in appdata/unmanic/.unmanic/config is now 5.5GB. For ease of appdata backups, is it okay to delete the unmanic.db file? I know I will lose the history, but is there anything more important/dangerous that will be lost? I assume unmanic won't reconvert the already converted video and audio.

There is a config option in the settings to limit the number of items in your history. Set that up and it will reduce the size of that dB file.

Look for

Library > Completed Tasks > Automatically manage completed tasks

Set this to about 30 days and then run a library scan. It should clear out your history of items older than 30 days.

• Like 1

Hey Josh,

I'm actually really enjoying this project. Once I got a handle on the plug-in system it was pretty simple to start modifying. If you recall I had a specific case where I wanted Unmanic to watch a folder and re-encode anything that showed there and the current h265 plug-ins would ignore any h265 files that were dropped in that folder. I modded the h265 cpu plug-in to add a force encode flag as well as a flag to signify that the plug-in should accept some ffmpeg options included in the filename of the file dropped into watch folder (i.e. -ss or -to to trim the file).  I may touch base with you to see if there's a better way you envision to do file specific processing like this but for my specific case, it's working right now. But since it's totally specific to my case, I haven't tried to push a new plug-in but I'm willing to work to that end. 

Great project Josh! I'm loving it!

Eric

2022-08-22_13-53.png

• Like 1
8 hours ago, nowhere99 said:

Hey Josh,

I'm actually really enjoying this project. Once I got a handle on the plug-in system it was pretty simple to start modifying. If you recall I had a specific case where I wanted Unmanic to watch a folder and re-encode anything that showed there and the current h265 plug-ins would ignore any h265 files that were dropped in that folder. I modded the h265 cpu plug-in to add a force encode flag as well as a flag to signify that the plug-in should accept some ffmpeg options included in the filename of the file dropped into watch folder (i.e. -ss or -to to trim the file).  I may touch base with you to see if there's a better way you envision to do file specific processing like this but for my specific case, it's working right now. But since it's totally specific to my case, I haven't tried to push a new plug-in but I'm willing to work to that end. 

Great project Josh! I'm loving it!

Eric

2022-08-22_13-53.png

That looks awesome!

Have you created your own plugin repo to host this? I would like to make externally created or forked plugins more accessible to users. If you have any ideas on this, I'm all ears!
If you would like this merged into the default repo also, I am happy to accept PRs from the community. I dont see these as "my plugins". These are "our plugins"

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, eagle470 said:

Hello, I have a bunch of RAW .avi files I've been thus far unable to convert in any way. does anyone know how to do this?

From the unmanic discord faq channel:

**Q: I'm trying to convert my .avi files to x265, but the files don't seem to work afterwards.**
> A: The .avi file format does not support x265. To resolve this, use the remux plugin to convert .avi files specifically to .mp4 first. Once converted to .mp4, these files should be able to convert to x265 and/or .mkv format. More on this here https://discord.com/channels/819327740279914516/828703056971169822/1012350586718535710

• Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry if it has been asked before (i checked and didn't find anything in the specific).

I installed radeon-top.

When i try to install unmanic specifying in the extra parameters (docker advance) "--device=/dev/dri" it fails telling me:

docker: Error response from daemon: error gathering device information while adding custom device "/dev/dri": no such file or directory.

(and yes, in /dev there's no dri folder).
I have a little radeon rx560 wich, in system devices, is reserved to be passed to VM or others.

IOMMU group 7:                 [1002:67ff] 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Baffin [Radeon RX 550 640SP / RX 560/560X] (rev cf)
     [1002:aae0] 01:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Baffin HDMI/DP Audio [Radeon RX 550 640SP / RX 560/560X]

Or course, it wasn't in used when i tried to create the container.

Any hint?

Thanks.

3 hours ago, dhstsw said:

Sorry if it has been asked before (i checked and didn't find anything in the specific).

I installed radeon-top.

When i try to install unmanic specifying in the extra parameters (docker advance) "--device=/dev/dri" it fails telling me:

docker: Error response from daemon: error gathering device information while adding custom device "/dev/dri": no such file or directory.

(and yes, in /dev there's no dri folder).
I have a little radeon rx560 wich, in system devices, is reserved to be passed to VM or others.

IOMMU group 7:                 [1002:67ff] 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Baffin [Radeon RX 550 640SP / RX 560/560X] (rev cf)
     [1002:aae0] 01:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Baffin HDMI/DP Audio [Radeon RX 550 640SP / RX 560/560X]

Or course, it wasn't in used when i tried to create the container.

Any hint?

Thanks.

If you are saying that it is reserved, then you won't be able to access that card or use it with the host's applications