[Support] Josh5 - Unmanic - Library Optimiser

1 hour ago, Josh.5 said:

What are the characters of this file:

Storage Wars - S12E09 - Let's Give \udce2\udc80\udc98Em Something to Tonka About - WEBDL-720p - h264 AAC.mkv

I have a funny feeling that this is not longer a problem and that somehow the file's names managed to make it through the conversion process and written to this history in this messed up state.

The changes made on the last update should prevent this from happening again. So if it does happen again please report it to me. I will see if I can come up with a tidy way to gracefully handle this error in the webUI so it does not error out quite so hard...

Not sure to be honest.

Just adding that mine has stopped encoding too as the above.

@BomB191

@zAdok

@trekkiedj

I've pushed an update to the docker container again tonight. There was an issue with the new method for parsing progress information. It was piping it to a temp file to read. This was somehow falling over as soon as you give it a file with a decent size but at random times (anywhere from 30MB to 60MB). I missed this as all my test files are 10MB or less. I've refactored this code and added support for elapsed time, time position, frame, fps, speed, bitrate and file size along with percent. While this information is now available, I have yet to implement it in the worker elements of the WebUI. But I'll see if I can throw that together this week. If you care to look at what info is there, you can open http://{UNMANIC_IP}:{UNMANIC_PORT}/?ajax=workersInfo while you are converting to see all your jobs information in json format.

PS.

This is now version 0.0.1-beta3 (displayed in the bottom left of the WebUI)

Edited by Josh.5
  • Like 1
18 minutes ago, Josh.5 said:

@BomB191

@zAdok

@trekkiedj

I've pushed an update to the docker container again tonight. There was an issue with the new method for parsing progress information. It was piping it to a temp file to read. This was somehow falling over as soon as you give it a file with a decent size but at random times (anywhere from 30MB to 60MB). I missed this as all my test files are 10MB or less. I've refactored this code and added support for elapsed time, time position, frame, fps, speed, bitrate and file size along with percent. While this information is now available, I have yet to implement it in the worker elements of the WebUI. But I'll see if I can throw that together this week. If you care to look at what info is there, you can open http://{UNMANIC_IP}:{UNMANIC_PORT}/?ajax=workersInfo while you are converting to see all your jobs information in json format.

PS.

Trying this now. Thanks again Josh

6 hours ago, Josh.5 said:

@BomB191

@zAdok

@trekkiedj

PS.

You rock @Josh.5

So far so good, getting past the 40MB point which I wasn't before.

This is an awesome app! i've been waiting for some time for something like this. 

Does anyone else get 100% CPU usage on 1 core when its idle? 

For Testing i've allocated everything to run on 0/4 so there is nothing on the others

and unmanic has 1/5,2/6,3/7 - it jumps around which core its using 

image.png.8c7960ab7beef97eb746732b9aa8ef85.png

image.thumb.png.8c8b327540fc49722a88fc17fa235db4.png

2 hours ago, Ezzy91 said:

This is an awesome app! i've been waiting for some time for something like this. 

For Testing i've allocated everything to run on 0/4 so there is nothing on the others

Not seen this myself. I would hazard a guess that it must be unraid itself.

To answer your question in a more technical way. The core application of unmanic is a single process application. It can only take advantage of a single processor at a time.

There was a bug that I fix las week that caused it to slam the CPU use when the main process was idle.

Can you confirm that you are running the latest version of the docker image as it should not be doing this any longer?

To be clear, the main unmanic service runs on a single process (as is the nature of any python application), but each worker spawns a separate process that can take advantage of multiple processors for the encoding task.

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk

I'm running unmanic on both servers now. My second server is a dual xeon setup. Can you think of a reason unmanic would only use one processor?  I'm pegged at 100 percent usage on half my cores leading me to believe it's only utilizing one processor..

i did add "--cpu-shares=2" to extra parameters in an attempt to set unmanic at lower priority so it doesn't choke out my system.

Edited by munit85

Josh-5 said in a previous post that "To be clear, the main unmanic service runs on a single process (as is the nature of any python application), but each worker spawns a separate process that can take advantage of multiple processors for the encoding task.".

So I don't think that you will be able to get it to use more than the 1 core per file being converted.

2 hours ago, MMW said:

Josh-5 said in a previous post that "To be clear, the main unmanic service runs on a single process (as is the nature of any python application), but each worker spawns a separate process that can take advantage of multiple processors for the encoding task.".

So I don't think that you will be able to get it to use more than the 1 core per file being converted.

I get all 4 cores used to their max when converting a single file.   I believe the ffmpeg libraries are highly optimised to exploit multi-core systems.

No. You will be able to. The spawned ffmpeg process will use all available CPU cores. There is a difference between a "process" and a "processor". The main python application runs multiple threads but on a single process (usually this means the application will only use one core at a time while idle). When it starts a ffmpeg job as a separate "subprocess", ffmpeg is able to also create a number of subprocesses itself. The ffmpeg subprocesses are optimised by default to take advantage on all CPU cores (processors) available.
So...
If you run only one worker with one ffmpeg job, it will still convert using all CPU cores available.
The reason for having multiple workers is because you will likely be bottlenecked by other things (such as HDD RW). Therefore running 2-3 workers/jobs at a time should get you the fastest conversion of your library.
If you have a CPU with 16 cores, you probably will not be able to saturate them with 2 jobs. You will need to increase the number of workers. However, a 4 core CPU will likely only handle 1-2 jobs at a time. Any more any you may start to slow down your library conversion.

All this needs testing BTW. To see what works faster.

On 1/20/2019 at 12:24 AM, SimonG said:

I'm also seeing 1 CPU @ 100%.  Currently running Version - 0.0.1-beta3.

I also see 1 Core maxed out when idle. It jumps from core to core also. As soon as I stop the docker that behaviour stops. @Josh.5 can i get some logs for you on this? Just let me know what log files you need.

I also see 1 Core maxed out when idle. It jumps from core to core also. As soon as I stop the docker that behaviour stops. [mention=76627]Josh.5[/mention] can i get some logs for you on this? Just let me know what log files you need.
Yea. I'm seeing it also. I have an idea of what it is. I'll let you know when I have a fix. Sorry about the delay. I'm pretty busy at work this week.

Just now, Josh.5 said:

Yea. I'm seeing it also. I have an idea of what it is. I'll let you know when I have a fix. Sorry about the delay. I'm pretty busy at work this week.

No dramas mate. Just happy to be able to test this app. Already dropped 2% of array utilisation :) 

No dramas mate. Just happy to be able to test this app. Already dropped 2% of array utilisation  
Yea. Same. I have a bunch of series that I keep for rewatching etc. Mist of the episodes were around 1gb each. Now they are closer to 300mb each.

• Like 1