[Support] Josh5 - Unmanic - Library Optimiser

2 hours ago, Pducharme said:

Off-topic, but what would be the "optimal" Settings for less "Transcoding" and more "Direct Play" in PLEX ?  Also, is H.265 (HEVC) supported?  Any plan un supporting Nvidia Transcoder to accelerate the work ? thanks.

from my understanding best "direct play" is mp4/h264 and ac3/2 channel audio. MKV will become the new mp4 over the next few years though (atleasts that what I have read)

• Like 1
Off-topic, but what would be the "optimal" Settings for less "Transcoding" and more "Direct Play" in PLEX ?  Also, is H.265 (HEVC) supported?  Any plan un supporting Nvidia Transcoder to accelerate the work ? thanks.

So far with Roku and iOS the h265 and default config of this converter works on direct play without a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
6 hours ago, mwoods98 said:

So.. one more question on this:

Is there a utility that will stop and start this docker on command? It would be nice to let it chug away at the library during the night when everyone is asleep then have it turn off in the morning. 

no. But it's a docker so have a look around at scripts to auto start/stop

or just having it cranking all the time with the Processor priority set to the lowest.

Edited by BomB191
14 hours ago, mwoods98 said:

One other question: Does the optimizer skip shows that have already been h265 encoded?

it will still que it up though,

8 hours ago, munit85 said:

it should, yes

unless it doesn't have 2ch audio I think than it'll mux that and poop it out (at least that's what i get from the info the option give)

• Like 1
[mention=76627]Josh.5[/mention] is there a way to have this container spin up with only 2 workers? I have found that 2 work just fine without having the fans on my machine prepare for takeoff. However, when I start it up I have to tick down the number of workers each time. 
Actually I got halfway through the CPU slamming and logging issues on Wednesday (it was a public holiday over here). There should be a build sitting on :latest that fixes the CPU slamming while idle. I have not been able to finish the other issue yet

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mwoods98 said:

Thanks @Josh.5 I know I speak for everyone when I say Thanks! I love this tool and it's helping a lot.  Still being an unraid newb, is there a place where I can see what was fixed or added for a new push? 

Thanks for the gratitude. I'm glad that this tool is useful to others :)

You can take a look at the commit log on github: https://github.com/Josh5/unmanic/commits/master

Anything committed to the master branch will be automatically built and taged as "josh5/unmanic:latest". I have not yet setup any sort of release notes, but as a rule I do my best to ensure my commit messages on github explain the reason for the code change and what it is fixing (opposed to just saying what was changed as many people do).

• Like 2

I'm definitely keeping an eye on the developments here and looking forward for this project to mature some more and come out of beta alpha. At the moment, I have the Handbrake docker setup with thanks to SpaceInvader One. It was a little cumbersome to setup initially with tweaking here and there for my tastes and needs; it works.

One thing that is lacking from the Handbrake hack is the ability to flag certain videos to not encode them and simply pass them through to Sonarr. For example, a nightly news show or late night variety show that automatically gets deleted after you watch it doesn't need to be encoded into h.265. The Handbrake workflow also doesn't check for h.265 and will re-encode the file regardless thus, being redundant with some loss to picture quality.

Another thing that I will be curious to see are the encoding customization settings for Unmanic. The Handbrake GUI is something that I am familiar and comfortable with (although, it could use a little more K.I.S.S.) and I would like to see some of those features in Unmanic. e.g., sound/surround sound encoding/downmixing, video encoder speed, etc.

Edited by Zer0Nin3r
Project was in alpha not beta at the time of writing.

Hi @Josh.5, The latest commit takes a long time to build any sort of queue and sits idle. It does eventually (maybe an hour) start to build one and start encoding. The following entry appears in the log:

2019-02-11T10:41:20:ERROR:Unmanic - [FORMATTED] - Exception in reading saved settings from file: - Expecting value: line 56 column 15 (char 1519)

1 hour ago, trekkiedj said:

Hi @Josh.5, The latest commit takes a long time to build any sort of queue and sits idle. It does eventually (maybe an hour) start to build one and start encoding. The following entry appears in the log:

2019-02-11T10:41:20:ERROR:Unmanic - [FORMATTED] - Exception in reading saved settings from file: - Expecting value: line 56 column 15 (char 1519)

Have you set the option to scan on starting the container?    If not I have found I get a similar delay.

7 minutes ago, itimpi said:

Have you set the option to scan on starting the container?    If not I have found I get a similar delay.

Yes, but the container is not saving the settings and on further looking into the logs, i can see this when i try to set that setting:

2019-02-11T11:51:05:ERROR:Unmanic - [FORMATTED] - Exception in writing settings to file: - Object of type 'Logger' is not JSON serializable

@trekkiedj @itimpi

Yea you guys were right. I made a mistake with the config that cased it to try and export our logger to the settings file... oops.

As you predicted this broke things like running a scan on start as the settings file was corrupted and everything reverted to defaults.

There is an update building now. Once you have it just open the web UI to the settings tab and click the "Submit" button to save the settings (this will over write the buggered settings file). Make sure you also double check that all the settings are correct, they have likely reverted back to the defaults. 

I've added an update to my todo list (https://github.com/Josh5/unmanic/issues/21) that will add a layer of protection against this in the future. This will be easy enough to implement.

Thanks for the report

Edited by Josh.5
8 minutes ago, Josh.5 said:

@trekkiedj @itimpi

Yea you guys were right. I made a mistake with the config that cased it to try and export our logger to the settings file... oops.

As you predicted this broke things like running a scan on start as the settings file was corrupted and everything reverted to defaults.

There is an update building now. Once you have it just open the web UI to the settings tab and click the "Submit" button to save the settings (this will over write the buggered settings file). Make sure you also double check that all the settings are correct, they have likely reverted back to the defaults. 

I've added an update to my todo list (https://github.com/Josh5/unmanic/issues/21) that will add a layer of protection against this in the future. This will be easy enough to implement.

Thanks for the report

Yep, thats sorted it. Thanks!