[Support] Josh5 - Unmanic - Library Optimiser

Im trying to us this to replace handbrake. But as stated by a few other users it fails on some files that have subs(even after I tell it to remove the subs). Where as handbrake has no issues with said files. I'm converting everything to mp4 aac. The ability to pick and choose the audio files you wanna keep as well as sub files would be sweet. 

• Like 1
On 3/24/2020 at 7:43 PM, UnAbel said:

Im trying to us this to replace handbrake. But as stated by a few other users it fails on some files that have subs(even after I tell it to remove the subs). Where as handbrake has no issues with said files. I'm converting everything to mp4 aac. The ability to pick and choose the audio files you wanna keep as well as sub files would be sweet. 

Subtitle support would be great.  Almost all of my files fail due to subs.

• Like 1

Josh I have been using this thing for months. I like a fire and forget it encoder like this for my tv show directory. I completely switched from h265ize to this.   Its really like it.  One quick feature request if you agree its a good idea.  Id like a "niceness" setting like on my Handbrake container.  Id like to set the niceness of this thing higher so that it gives way to my plex server streams.  Thanks for the consideration.

image.thumb.png.f065f518ba45f74eae9e6abeb082dc5f.png

ps - I think it would also be nice to be able to specify a 8, 10, 0r 12 bit HEVC encode as well but thats not as important to me as above. 

Edited by flinte
On 3/28/2020 at 11:00 AM, CoZ said:

Subtitle support would be great.  Almost all of my files fail due to subs.

Did you check to see if this feature request has been submitted to the project's GitHub? The request/commit (or may not) already be open on there.

@flinte You too, also check the project's GitHub for any feature requests such as your quality control feature request.

@All: Have a great rest of the week into the weekend! Stay safe! Watch some movies/TV!

Edited by Zer0Nin3r
Saw flinte's feature request.
14 hours ago, Zer0Nin3r said:

Did you check to see if this feature request has been submitted to the project's GitHub? The request/commit (or may not) already be open on there.

@flinte You too, also check the project's GitHub for any feature requests such as your quality control feature request.

@All: Have a great rest of the week into the weekend! Stay safe! Watch some movies/TV!

https://github.com/Josh5/unmanic/issues/83

This is the feature request for the ability to remove unneeded subtitles and audio streams.

Hey all, I'm back to try to figure out my Unmanic audio weirdness. I'm not sure what's happening, but the screenshots attached show my audio tracks before transcoding (blu-ray rip in VLC) and after Unmanic. You can see that one shows the 5.1 channels as expected (rip), whereas the Unmanic encode shows everything as AAC Stereo. I have Unmanic set to process audio files, but it says it's supposed to keep all the audio channels, re-encoding as AAC, and only create a 2 channel track if one doesn't already exist, so I'm not sure why all my audio tracks are being converted to stereo. I can't imagine I'm the only one running into this. Is everyone else just turning off audio transcoding?

Thanks

Shawshank Unmanic Audio.png

Shawshank VLC Audio.png

Edited by vcolombo

So, I'm using this right now to compress some TV shows and I'm LOVING it. Stereo quality audio is fine by me. I don't use 5.1 systems being a city dweller, so this has been just fine. 

I do have a small feature request though. Could it be possible to see totals? I don't want it to convert my whole collection. Therefore, I typically point the folder in the docker to one specific TV show (mainly cartoons, can't even tell the quality difference AT ALL). I've manually kept track of some of the compressions... 189gb down to 45gb, etc. However, having that information shown in the app would be awesome. If it just totals everything its ever converted, or allows you to select a batch and see ALL the before and after.

It serves literally no purpose other than I get a big grin nerding out over 150gb of savings on some of these shows.

Thanks and keep up the great work dude!

• Like 1
On 4/10/2020 at 6:08 PM, vcolombo said:

Is everyone else just turning off audio transcoding?

I am.  The less this program has to do, the quicker it does it's job.  I also have a process, load up the file in MKVToolNix, strip the unwanted Subs (different languages than English), Audio Streams (I leave the 'highest quality' audio stream in), etc..etc.. then move the video file over to the array for transcoding.

• Like 1
On 4/10/2020 at 3:08 PM, vcolombo said:

Is everyone else just turning off audio transcoding?

Yep. I turned off audio encoding for the same reason(s). I did all the research and passing through the native audio encodes doesn't add too much to the final output. Anywhere from a couple hundred megabytes to several hundred. For all the headaches audio encoding has caused...I simply turned it off. Plex can transcode the audio and that doesn't take up too much processing power when compared to Plex transcoding video.

Edited by Zer0Nin3r
  • Like 1

@Josh.5 i'm seeing weird processing times for larger 1080 files (movies). on a 1.2gb 1080.x264.mp4 --> 1080.x265.mp4 with no audio conversion, it took over 8 hours to process and reduced 35% in size. This just started a couple months ago out of the blue.

But then on 14.8gb 2160.x265.mkv --> 2160.x265.mp4 with no audio, it only took 45 minutes and decreased over 36% in size.

This isn't specific to these two files though, it's a general trend for all my files. Some of these 1080's are even taking as long as 13 hours to process. the 2160's don't seem to matter if they're x264 or x265 - they're fast either way.

i've attached a pastee link for the ffmpeg log of the above 1080 file here. (this log was so big i don't even think the unmanic log capture grabbed it all from the beginning)

Here is the link to the ffmpeg log for the 2160 file.

Any thoughts?

@Josh.5 I’m trying to do something a little more advanced with unmanic. I am running unmanic in a docker container on a server which is separate from my media server.

However when I mount my media server share via SSHFS onto the unmanic server, unmanic won’t pick up any of the files? 

I can transfer the files manually via SFTP and it works but that will take ages. Any ideas why unmanic won’t detect files when using SSHFS?

7 hours ago, mattmill said:

@Josh.5 I’m trying to do something a little more advanced with unmanic. I am running unmanic in a docker container on a server which is separate from my media server.

However when I mount my media server share via SSHFS onto the unmanic server, unmanic won’t pick up any of the files? 

I can transfer the files manually via SFTP and it works but that will take ages. Any ideas why unmanic won’t detect files when using SSHFS?

Not sure what OS's you are on but I've done this with two unRaid boxes. I mounted my media shares in the unassigned devices plugin on the unmanic box and let it rip. My main server stayed cool and I let the unmanic server scream with heat. 

Just now, rmeaux said:

Not sure what OS's you are on but I've done this with two unRaid boxes. I mounted my media shares in the unassigned devices plugin on the unmanic box and let it rip. My main server stayed cool and I let the unmanic server scream with heat. 

Unmanic server is running Ubuntu. It's a rented dedicated server so like you, I am not punishing my main server.

2 minutes ago, rmeaux said:

I like this idea. I've got my former unraid box sitting idle.

Hello there I have been trying to follow the path of this thread because I too have CPU issues.  If I let it run all of my available CPU gets utalized and overheats my system.  I did see the post linking to this thread about limiting the CPU usages within docker so that it can co-exist with other containers.  (Here is the link if you are unable to find it earlier in the thread https://forums.unraid.net/topic/57181-docker-faq/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-566087)

I tried both of the steps in the post and can confirm that neither of them are working.  What happens is that the cpu is limited BUT when a task gets added to a worker, the worker simply rejects and marked the file as a failed project without actually doing what needs to be done.  Is there a future update that would be able to handle this or something that I am missing so that I can run the process on my files without overtaxing my server.  Thanks in advance.