[Support] Josh5 - Unmanic - Library Optimiser

1 hour ago, xlucero1 said:

OMG please update. I spent over 2 hours trying to figure out how people do it with VMs since the NVidia Driver plugin says not to download if you plan to pass through GPU to VM. All the videos I found (including the Cpt Chaz video that you posed in the video guide section) all suggest you need the Nvidia Driver plugin.

So to be clear:

1. We do not need the Nvidia Driver plugin and do not insert UUID; only "adding the --runtime=nvidia option"?

2. It IS okay to run Unmanic NVidia encoding while also using a VM all on the same GPU?

If NOT, then what do you suggest? 

- I only have 1 Unraid machine, but I do have other desktops and laptops. 

Thank you very much, I am pumped to use it! maxed out my 24TBs. You rock

First post updated.

You probably will find that you cannot use the GPU on the host for anything if it is being passed through to a VM.

I'm pretty sure (but am not going to test this for you) that the NVIDIA docker runtime will not work without installing a NVIDIA driver on the host. Therefore, I'm pretty sure the linked documentation is correct for anyone who wishes to use Unmanic with the latest version of Unraid and a NVIDIA GPU.

2 hours ago, Josh.5 said:

linked documentation is correct

I added you discord support channel. Thank you. To hopefully wrap this up here then; I'm sure everyone has GPU passed thru to their VM. The Nvidia Driver plugin says dont install it if you pass thru GPU to VM. So how do I do it? Download the plugin anyway? VM and Unmatic should still work or no? 1842524873_ScreenShot2022-11-13at5_51_16PM.png.adc3b50e67e1bd7edfb82beb9d3ac368.png

1 minute ago, xlucero1 said:

To hopefully wrap this up here then; I'm sure everyone has GPU passed thru to their VM. The Nvidia Driver plugin says dont install it if you pass thru GPU to VM. So how do I do it? Download the plugin anyway? VM and Unmatic should still work or no? 

What they mean by don't install the drivers if you are using VM passthrough, is that it will not help. If you passthrough your GPU to a VM, you CANNOT use your GPU with any Docker containers.

If you need both, you will need to have two GPU's installed in your unRAID server. This is a hardware limitation and has nothing to do with unRAID on any of the app developers.

I have an inexpensive GPU for my WIndows 10 VM and a better GPU for my transcoding. So, one is passed through and the other is used in two Docker containers.

Note: If you do have two and one of them is passed through, only the GPU that is not passed through will appear in your Nvidia drivers list as you can see from my screenshots.

image.thumb.png.d537ac8107d88fdadae6ef1135f4054d.png

image.png.6c59f73e0a5948768b69db32c44873cf.png

• Upvote 2

Seems like you pretty much have to have 2 GPUs to use Unmatic then; assuming, most people using Unraid pass through their GPU to VM. Otherwise what you said, makes perfect sense. Thank you for explaining that. 

I was looking for alternatives to get this going. 

- Either install a 2nd GPU, 

- Or Maybe I can host Unraid on another computer (with another GPU) and encode all videos remotely; unless I can use a windows desktop and this?  

Thank you

44 minutes ago, xlucero1 said:

Seems like you pretty much have to have 2 GPUs to use Unmatic then; assuming, most people using Unraid pass through their GPU to VM

or using their intel igpu for unraid transcodings instead ... plex, unmanic, ... probably most common

you could also use unmanic with nvidia while your VM is turned off as note, but that needs a system (hardware) which can handle it

- no need to bind GPU in vfio bind and VM is starting, stopping properly (so unraid can run really headless, not always working)

- time what you do, your system can crash while starting a vm while a docker is using the needed GPU or vice versa

You do not need a GPU to use Unmanic. That is a pretty outrageous statement to make.

Using a GPU inside the official Unmanic Docker container is an optional thing that you can do if you wish. You can also use Unmanic on the VM that you have passed your GPU into if you like.

Unmanic is a tool with a lot of capabilities of which only a very small sub-set would even have the option to take advantage of a GPU.

On 11/13/2022 at 5:27 PM, xlucero1 said:

I'm sure everyone has GPU passed thru to their VM. The Nvidia Driver plugin says dont install it if you pass thru GPU to VM. So how do I do it? Download the plugin anyway? VM and Unmatic should still work or no? 

What you can do is stop the Unmanic container prior to launching your VM and vice versa — stopping your VM prior to launching Unmanic. This way you don't crash anything. If you pause Unmanic during an encoding process and then launch your VM, the GPU may not be released to the VM resulting in issues.

Like @Josh.5 said, you don't have to passthrough your GPU to Unmanic; Unmanic can still encode using CPU.

@Eddie Seelke It is possible to run a single GPU in Unraid and also pass it through to your VM. You would have to pull the firmware from the GPU card and then load it into your VM. I had very limited success with it a few year ago with a GTX 1060. In the end, I spung for a cheap GT 710 to make Unraid happy even as a headless server.

Edited by Zer0Nin3r
Typos & clarity
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been a Tdarr user for a while now and have modified a few plug-ins for it to make Tdarr do what I want.  Now, I've come across unmanic and I like the interface design much better.  

I have a library of mostly hevc files most are 10 bit, but many are still 8 bit.  I'm trying to convert all my media to hevc 10 bit to support direct streaming for Apple Tvs.  I'm currently using the Video Encoder H265/HEVC - libx265 (CPU) encoder.  It does fine encoding anything that is not HEVC into HEVC 10 bit.  I am using custom settings of the encoder with these settings "-map 0 -dn -c:v libx265 -preset veryfast  -pix_fmt p010le -a53cc 0 -c:a copy -c:s copy -max_muxing_queue_size 999".  

The problem I have is that it does not re-encode the hevc 8 bit to 10 bit.  Is there anyway to force it to?