nassigned Devices application how to access HD

I am not sure this if this is the right place, but I am having issues with the Unassigned Devices application.

quick background. I had 4 HD's in a raid and all was fine when my motherboard decided to die.. no problem I say so I pirchase a new one and install.  all good I say, but then I had issues with the raid that it informed me that it wanted to format the Parity and HD's.    CRAP. so I replace my Raid HD's with no ones and got the system up and running, but now here is my problem. how do I get my data back onto the RAID.

so the steps I have done so far is install the Unassigned Devices application

plugged one of my Raid HD's into the docker and powered up.

within Unraid I have click on the Mounted button and click on share. but nothing is happening. and if I am reading the first page. I should see a new share appear when I browse to my Unraid.

I am not sure this if this is the right place, but I am having issues with the Unassigned Devices application.

quick background. I had 4 HD's in a raid and all was fine when my motherboard decided to die.. no problem I say so I pirchase a new one and install.  all good I say, but then I had issues with the raid that it informed me that it wanted to format the Parity and HD's.    CRAP. so I replace my Raid HD's with new ones and got the system up and running, but now here is my problem. how do I get my data back onto the RAID.

within Unraid I have click on the Mounted button and click on share. but nothing is happening. and if I am reading the first page. I should see a new share appear when I browse to my Unraid.

OK I think I have found a way.  I am using the above steps to mount the Hard Drive and then I am doing the following

open a Terminal session

browse to the /mnt

type in cp -R /mnt/disks/SERIAL NUMBER OF HD/Subfolder /mnt/cache

I have check on the cache HD and it looks like it is working

the only thing I forgot to do before I kick this off, is to define a destination folder on the Raid.

47 minutes ago, chris_netsmart said:

quick background. I had 4 HD's in a raid and all was fine when my motherboard decided to die.. no problem I say so I pirchase a new one and install.  all good I say, but then I had issues with the raid that it informed me that it wanted to format the Parity and HD's.    CRAP. so I replace my Raid HD's with no ones and got the system up and running, but now here is my problem. how do I get my data back onto the RAID.

Be sure to set up SMB sharing in the Unassigned Devices Settings to your preference.

3 hours ago, chris_netsmart said:

There is a lot wrong with your description but the main thing wrong is you should have asked for help when you seemed to be having a problem getting your array going again on the new hardware. It is usually not very difficult, and you shouldn't have needed to go to all this trouble to copy data to a new array.

Unraid is not RAID and your array is technically not "a raid". Unraid never would have informed you that it wanted to format parity since parity is not a formatted disk. And it really shouldn't have wanted to format any of your data disks either unless there is a lot you haven't told us. Note that I said "format", which is the word you used. "Format" has a very specific meaning. Possibly you used that word to mean something else.

It might be possible to get the disks you already have with their data setup as a new Unraid array on your new system with their data intact, and so avoid having to go to all this trouble copying from Unassigned Device. But of course that discussion doesn't belong on this thread.

3 hours ago, chris_netsmart said:

OK I think I have found a way.  I am using the above steps to mount the Hard Drive and then I am doing the following

open a Terminal session

browse to the /mnt

type in cp -R /mnt/disks/SERIAL NUMBER OF HD/Subfolder /mnt/cache

I have check on the cache HD and it looks like it is working

the only thing I forgot to do before I kick this off, is to define a destination folder on the Raid.

I have been posting to Unassigned Devices where you are also going about this. (Please don't crosspost. Where are we supposed to reply? Crossposting makes it impossible for us to coordinate our responses.)

What do you mean a destination folder on the Raid? You apparently don't understand how to use cache.

4 hours ago, chris_netsmart said:

I had 4 HD's in a raid and all was fine when my motherboard decided to die

Or maybe I am completely offbase here and this "raid" you are talking about was not Unraid at all but another system. Your "quick background" didn't actually specify these disks were from another RAID so I assumed you were talking about Unraid. If it was another RAID then you probably can't read the individual disks with Unassigned Devices.

Checking your post history, you started another thread about this, but it is practically the same post you put here. (Please don't crosspost. Which thread are we supposed to respond on? Crossposting makes it impossible for us to coordinate our responses.)

So I don't know if these disks are from another RAID or from Unraid. As I mentioned, if these were Unraid disks then it should be possible to get a new array going with their data intact and so avoid having to copy them. Maybe we should take this discussion back to your other thread and leave this one alone. I can move these related posts over there if you want.

6 hours ago, trurl said:

So I don't know if these disks are from another RAID or from Unraid. As I mentioned, if these were Unraid disks then it should be possible to get a new array going with their data intact

Sorry. If  did make myself clear.  The Disks are from a Unraid build.  And yes i was suprise when it informed me that i disn't reconnise the old hard drivers and needes to format them.

You say that there is a way to put my old hard drives back into Unraid, without lossing my data. If so can you please inform me how.

I have moved all these posts from Unassigned Devices thread to here.

5 hours ago, chris_netsmart said:

You say that there is a way to put my old hard drives back into Unraid, without lossing my data.

13 hours ago, trurl said:

It might be possible to get the disks you already have with their data setup as a new Unraid array

Might be, depending on the details of the situation and what else you may have done to try to fix this on your own. We will have to get a lot more information,

Rather than me asking a lot of questions, lets just start with this:

Go to Tools - Diagnostics and attach the complete diagnostics zip file to your next post.

It is even possible that the approach you were taking was the necessary one. Did someone suggest it to you?

The only reason I can think that might make it not recognize your disks, and possibly even make it think they needed to be formatted, would be some major controller change between the systems. Can you tell us anything about the controllers on the old and new systems? Was there a separate disk controller card on either system?

And in any case, Unraid would never tell you to format the parity disk since parity is not a formatted disk. Is it possible Unraid was using different words that you misinterpreted to be instructing you to format?

5 hours ago, trurl said:

It is even possible that the approach you were taking was the necessary one. Did someone suggest it to you? 

no one told me to do it this way, as at the time it was the most logical step for me to do, as I wanted to get my Unraid up and running

regarding the Cache,   I have a somewhat understanding of it.  it is many used for temp storage when someone puts a lot of data onto the unraid as this speeds up the progress, and at night it will move it from itself and place it onto the Unraid.  this is all done behind the scenes, so that user is not effect.

at the moment I have discovered that my 1TB Cache drive is corrupted as the Unraid was having issues moving and talking data off from it.

so I have removed the 1TB Cache from my Unraid and now the system boots up with no issues and the CPU's are running at 1% then at 100% across the board.

Can you tell us anything about the controllers on the old and new systems? Was there a separate disk controller card on either system?

I had was using no controllers on the on-board Sata and the Unraid software

Is it possible Unraid was using different words that you misinterpreted to be instructing you to format?

No when I fired up my new Unraid with my old hard driver, I was informed that the hard drivers were unrecognizable.

I have added a copy of the log files

tower-diagnostics-20190107-1842.zip

2 minutes ago, chris_netsmart said:

so I have removed the 1TB Cache from my Unraid and now the system boots up with no issues

No issues. Do you mean it recognizes your array disks now?

As for cache, you typically don't write anything directly to cache, especially over the network. You write (and read) user shares. Depending on the settings of each particular user share, those writes may go to cache or may go directly to the array, and later they may or may not be moved, either from cache to array or from array to cache.

If you are writing directly to the cache drive then you are doing it all wrong. In fact, my recommendation is to not read or write any disk directly, but to instead do it all through user shares. Working directly with the disks bypasses many features of Unraid, such as caching and disk spanning.

4 minutes ago, trurl said:

As for cache, you typically don't write anything directly to cache, especially over the network. You write (and read) user shares. Depending on the settings of each particular user share, those writes may go to cache or may go directly to the array, and later they may or may not be moved, either from cache to array or from array to cache. 

here is a screen shot of one of my shares

Capture.JPG

1 hour ago, chris_netsmart said:

here is a screen shot of one of my shares

I really recommend you not name a User Share "Users". It is going to be a very good opportunity for typos as you continue to use and configure your server, since there are many places where the word "user" will appear in paths.

1 hour ago, chris_netsmart said:

if there is a quick and better way then please inform me, and I will give it a try, as log as my data is no loss

The whole point of getting all this together on this thread was so we could discuss how to get your original disks into the array so you wouldn't need to copy anything. You seem to be determined to go off in this other direction.

What I was asking here

1 hour ago, trurl said:

is whether or not it would let you put those disks into the array like it was originally, but apparently you misunderstood. I wanted to try again to get your disks into the array and have Unraid accept them with all their data, instead of it saying they were "unrecognized" or whatever. And you never did answer my question of whether or not Unraid ever said anything to you that actually used the word "format".

I really wish you had just stopped immediately when you tried to bring Unraid up on the new system with the drives as they were already assigned.

When I said

7 hours ago, trurl said:

I didn't mean you should proceed with what you were doing. I just meant that I could imagine a scenario (due to radically different controllers) where Unraid might not recognize your disks or even see them as partitioned correctly to use. If that scenario were true then maybe there would have been no other ways except copying, but copying was not what I had in mind if it could be helped.

Ordinarily, if you have disks that were used in Unraid before, you can just reset the disk assignments (New Config) with all those disk and rebuild parity. There shouldn't be any need to copy them to a new array.

Since this is getting a bit long and you may not even read it, I am going to put my next advice in a new post.