Broken GUI

So my GUI looked like this.  I did a reboot and then my server would not boot.  Seemed my flash was corrupted and through the help of @johnnie.black and @trurl I got it booted back up.  However booted back up brings me back to my broken GUI (I have backed up my config folder now lol).  I have a brand new install on a Lexar 32GB USB 3.0 drive installed in a 3.0 port directly on the motherboard.  Booting into GUI mode with a monitor attached shows the exact same GUI output.  Attaching screenshots and logs.  I unplugged the UPS so that is why you see comm loss with it.   I see a lot of errors relating to webgui but no idea how to fix. Thanks in advance for any help.  Andrew

Edit: Just tried USB 2.0 port and same symptom

GUI.JPG

log.JPG

tower-diagnostics-20190106-1520.zip

Edited by allischalmersman
Add info

The implication is that the flash drive dropped offline before it booted fully.  But, there's no real evidence of it in the diagnostics (plugins installed fine).  Next best guess OTOH

2 hours ago, allischalmersman said:

Seemed my flash was corrupted and through the help of @johnnie.black and @trurl I got it booted back up.

is that when you fixed whatever was corrupted, you copied over bzimage / bzroot / etc and some of the files are from different versions of unRaid.  I would download the .zip file from LT's website and overwrite all of the bz* files on the flash drive with the ones from the zip and try again.

28 minutes ago, Squid said:

Next best guess OTOH is that when you fixed whatever was corrupted, you copied over bzimage / bzroot / etc and some of the files are from different versions of unRaid.

Not sure why he decided to start a new thread here about this. Should have at least linked back to the other thread, which is here:

I assume he followed the instructions on that other thread, the same I always give for fixing flash:

8 hours ago, trurl said:
  1. Copy config folder from (old) flash to PC
  2. Prepare (new) flash as a new install
  3. Copy config folder from PC to (new) flash
  4. Boot

Since we're over here now I have locked that other thread.

[mention=7072]trurl[/mention] I'm sorry. I assumed since the boot problem was fixed and I was back to my original issue I should start a different topic. I'm sorry if that was the wrong thing to do.

I did follow your instructions and created a new flash install. I downloaded the USB creator and allowed it to write the image. I then copied the "config" folder over to the newly created boot drive overwriting the origional. I also went through the process of reassigning the Pro license to the new flash GUID

It is not a browser issue as it is exactly the same on every PC, phone, and the local console of the server when booting to GUI mode.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, allischalmersman said:

It is not a browser issue as it is exactly the same on every PC, phone, and the local console of the server when booting to GUI mode.

Did you clear the browser cache on any of those?

Try booting in SAFE mode. Maybe one of your plugins (which are in config) is to blame.

Since you already have a backup of config, I guess you could actually try a new install without your config just to see if it fixes this problem. If it does, then we will have to work through your config a bit at a time to try to see how much of it is actually usable without breaking things.

On the other hand, if a clean install still exhibits the problem, then you have a hardware issue, either the flash itself or the port it is using.

How exactly are you preparing flash? With the USB Creator Tool or manually?

Just now, trurl said:

Since you already have a backup of config, I guess you could actually try a new install without your config just to see if it fixes this problem. If it does, then we will have to work through your config a bit at a time to try to see how much of it is actually usable without breaking things.

On the other hand, if a clean install still exhibits the problem, then you have a hardware issue, either the flash itself or the port it is using.

Great idea.  I will start on that now.  I used the USB creator tool.  There is no danger of damage booting from an unconfigured drive as long as I don't assign drives and start the array right?  Thanks, Andrew

2 hours ago, trurl said:

Well after more than an hour of up and down the basement stairs I have rebooted my server no joke probably 20 times.  I found the problem was caused by the file "dynamix.cfg" which was in the config\plugins\dynamix folder.  I have all files and folders back on the drive (except plugins-error, plugins-old-versions, and plugins-removed) and if I place this one file back on the drive my symptom re-appears. 

Not sure what isn't going to work with this file missing.  I know my notifications seem to be wrong.  My email address, smtp info, etc is all missing.  What in all is contained in that file?  Opening it in Notepadd++ showed way stupid looking skewed results. 

EDIT: I see what's in that file now.  I created a new flash backup (this is going to be routine now lol) and looked at the new file in notepad++.  I see why my notification settings were all gone now lol.

Thanks a bunch for the help guys.  Andrew

Edited by allischalmersman
Add info
21 minutes ago, bonienl said:

When upgrading to the latest 6.6 version, the installation script removes the dynamix.plg file if present.

Question: did you upgrade using the GUI or a manual upgrade?

He was trying to get a backup of flash working again, so he was not using the GUI upgrade.,

9 hours ago, allischalmersman said:

Well after more than an hour of up and down the basement stairs I have rebooted my server no joke probably 20 times.  I found the problem was caused by the file "dynamix.cfg" which was in the config\plugins\dynamix folder.  I have all files and folders back on the drive (except plugins-error, plugins-old-versions, and plugins-removed) and if I place this one file back on the drive my symptom re-appears. 

Not sure what isn't going to work with this file missing.  I know my notifications seem to be wrong.  My email address, smtp info, etc is all missing.  What in all is contained in that file?  Opening it in Notepadd++ showed way stupid looking skewed results. 

EDIT: I see what's in that file now.  I created a new flash backup (this is going to be routine now lol) and looked at the new file in notepad++.  I see why my notification settings were all gone now lol.

Thanks a bunch for the help guys.  Andrew

Glad it is all working now. I think you probably learned a lot working through all this. I often encourage people to examine the files on flash. Nothing really magic going on there, and most things in config are just text (like many configuration files in Linux). You can probably see how much of it is just settings from the webUI, for example.

• Like 1
Glad it is all working now. I think you probably learned a lot working through all this. I often encourage people to examine the files on flash. Nothing really magic going on there, and most things in config are just text (like many configuration files in Linux). You can probably see how much of it is just settings from the webUI, for example.
I did indeed. The flash intimidated me but I understand it a little better now. Thanks again!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk