Upgrade Sanity Check

Howdy folks!  I'm hoping for a bit of advice on a potential build I'm working on.  My current K9A2 Platinum and Phenom II x4 isn't quite able to hang with my recent move to Plex.  I want to move to server-grade but I'm still only a mid-range geek.

Stumbled across this on Craigslist

Specs:

Supermicro Storage Servers (2U) Model: CSE-826TQ-R800UB

Fully loaded systems however they have No "Storage" hard drives included!

Each unit will include all hard drive caddies, mounting rails and power cord(s).

* Dual CPUs - Intel Xeon Processors E5640 @ 2.67GHz
* Motherboard - X8DTU / X8DTU-F
* Network Card - Intel PRO/1000 PT Dual Port (EXP19402PT BLK)
* RAID - 3Ware 9650SE-12ML
* 2 x 80GB internally mounted Intel SSDs
* 8 x 4GB 2Rx4 PC3 10600R (total of 32GB) Memory

I see elsewhere that the BPN-SAS-826TQ Backplane is good to go with unRAID.  However, my issue is the 3Ware 9650SE-12ML, which I cannot confirm will work well, particularly with >2TB drives.  So the questions:

1) Anyone have success with the 9650SE-12ML on unRAID at a 2TB+ level? Not listed on page and seems hokey elsewhere.

2) If it's a no-go, how hard would it be to switch it to an Adaptec RAID 71605 (a bit of space with four extra ports if I move cases later)? Would I need a special cable for this?

Is there a better controller you'd recommend?

My first inclination was two 8 port M1015 but I THINK I only have 2 PCI slots so I'd lose ethernet card if I do that, correct?

I THINK that the price is decent for the server, itself, given it has everything but drives (I have my own). I just want to make sure I can easily move past the 2TB drive limit. Key point is that it's close by for pickup.

Many thanks, in advance.

Kermit

1 hour ago, KermitJr said:

It works, but it doesn't support >2TB drives, at least not a full load, you want the SAS2 model.

1 hour ago, KermitJr said:

my issue is the 3Ware 9650SE-12ML, which I cannot confirm will work well, particularly with >2TB drives

It might work but it's not recommended, get an LSI HBA instead.