Run dockers as non-root user, anyone try?

Good day!

I was wondering if anyone's had any success with SSH enabling then granting sudo to their secondary users on unraid? I'd like to run my docker compose script which fires up a bunch of things to run without having the entire system running under roots credentials. unraid is so exciting!

Why I'd like to do this is because I'd really prefer if the directories inside of /config didn't end up getting owned and grouped to root who shouldn't have to be running that side of the show at least thats my thoughts.

Just today, I got a UPS dashboard notification that power went out, UPS was running on batts and then it came back 2-3m later (I found out 2h after the fact). Now, that is something I don't get rolling my own solution in Ubuntu Server (in addition to many other things).

46 minutes ago, Trunkton said:

secondary users on unraid?

General rule is that there are no secondary users on unRaid, so probably no one will be able to answer.  unRaid's users aren't "real" users per se (when compared to how *nix handles things)

46 minutes ago, Trunkton said:

Why I'd like to do this is because I'd really prefer if the directories inside of /config didn't end up getting owned and grouped to root who shouldn't have to be running that side of the show at least thats my thoughts.

Owned by root isn't a problem, so long as the permissions are correct that allows unRaid's users to read/write them if so desired.

Squid, you're everywhere! Thanks for the info appreciate it. I installed the SSH Plugin by docgyver and now my normal user can SSH in. It is not part of the sudoers list so I'm working on changing that then I'm thinking Dockers will get run with sudo command (effectively as root anyway) and I'll lock out root from SSH via GUI and take a backup first.

Edited by Trunkton