Beryllium

Unraid as Gaming/Transcoding PC

7 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hey 

I am new to this stuff and recently found (was recommended) UnRaid. I was planning to build a Plex server (4-5 transcoding streams at once) and a separate Gaming tower. 

Now the question is if I could just combine these two systems and let Windows run as a VM? 

Are there major performance deficits. Or will my VM choke if Plex is transcoding too much? 

Any help would be appreciated. 

BR
Beryllium

Will you be transcoding HD or 4k? Budget?

Posted (edited)

Hey so budget would be around 2k and only 1080p und below. 

Does this even work? Like how will this behave? If I turn off my VM will everything still run at full power consumtion as unraid is running? Just thinking a bit also about power consumption. Or will the GPU idle, if there is no use for it. 

Edit:
Does it even make sense to move plex from the NAS to a VM? If not I would just build a normal Windows PC :)
I mean the synology NAS does struggle sometimes. 

Edited by Beryllium
added info

On 1/8/2019 at 8:26 AM, Beryllium said:

If I turn off my VM will everything still run at full power consumtion as unraid is running? Just thinking a bit also about power consumption. Or will the GPU idle, if there is no use for it. 

The system will still power everything but you will of course not have a power draw that's anywhere close to the hw being in use. Same with CPU and hard drives, if you're only using 10% of them then your power draw will reflect that.

On 1/8/2019 at 8:26 AM, Beryllium said:

Does it even make sense to move plex from the NAS to a VM? If not I would just build a normal Windows PC

I don't think so. I'd leave the VM for a gaming VM and have Plex running in Linux (in Docker). That way you can update/restore/shut off/etc your gaming machine without your entertainment going down. You'd also be able to isolate them from eachother, so if you wanted to play a game you had some dedicated cores for that.

• Like 1

Really sorry for the late reply. I had to put this project on hold for a while. 
Ok good to know regarding the power drain. 

The more I think about it, the less it makes sense. I just wanted a stronger Server since the NAS is reaching its limits, but I just may buy a used old Xenon Server and setup unraid there without any windows VMs. Just running the docker containers I need.

Thanks for your help! 

Just want to toss out there that I've had issues running Plex under Docker, had my library somehow get corrupted twice which forced rebuilding everything. No idea why. So keep a good backup of your Plex data directory just in case.

I run moved Plex under windows and haven't had one issue since (still keeping backups too). I also use Handbrake in the VM but set it's priority to Low so that Plex takes priority if I or my extended family watches anything.

With the VM approach, best practice is to create a separate drive for Plex. It makes it easy to back up just by copying the qcow2 file or using a utility like True Image.

Thanks for the input. It seems running plex in a windows VM is more stable and also has more support. 
I really want to run an unraid server, as my NAS is reaching its limit. Still running my main PC in unraid as a vm seems not that recommended. Due to space issues having a second PC just as a server is difficult, but will try to use my old one maybe for PFsense and stuff. 

I really would like to learn to use VMs and docker :)